PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 300lb "What If" in the corner of the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

1. Games missed over 1.5 years: Maroney: 5, Addai: 0.
2. True
3. Featured RB is the roll both players play on their respective teams
4. Well, he's not hitting the hole or stiff-arming guys like he used to
5. "Hindsight is a very bad way to look at any draft" Ummm, then how are you supposed to look at drafts that have happened in the past.

It's okay to say the Pats picked the wrong guy. They've had draft busts before.
1. And who's to say that Addai's leg doesn't explode this week? Addai was largely criticized for being a fragile back as well.
3. Addai has been quite a bit more featured than Maroney has been so far. I think this topic doesn't exist if the Colts brought back Dominic Rhodes and gave him split some of the carries. Maroney runs different plays,
4. "Like he used to"? You mean like in the third game of the season or something? He certainly hasn't regressed any.
5. You should look at any decision as it was made. If you liked Maroney better than Addai on Draft Day 2006 then you shouldn't complain now. Some draft decisions, some trades, some FA pickups are stupid from day one, picking Maroney sure as hell is not anywhere close to that.

comparing our very good and productive running back to a more used and right now more productive back is premature and annoying for me to read.
No one predicted Addai to be as good as he is....no one predicted Brady to be as good as he is. Maybe there was something about Addai the pats didn't like IF they had him on their list. Maybe they met with him and thought he didn't fit as well as maroney into the plan.

Maroney has had a couple injury issue but you don't know the extent of them and you don't know how BB is treating them.

Addai got shaken up in the first game of the year and also missed a gama himself. Addai is also getting about 20-25 carries a game vs. maroneys 15 or so.

Addai gets run at the goal line alot vs. maroney. So we'll see who is healthy and has energy come playoff time.

And if after everything Addai is still out performing Maroney then good for him but i see no reason to hate on Maroney. This isn't fantasy football, it's not just about the numbers.

Poor maroney is the victim of over speculation.

FYI...Addai has missed one complete game and parts of two others this year....

Different systems for each. Maroney - will be a very good back, last year he showed that he belongs in the starting lineup. Over the course of a season, I would chose LM over Morris as my starter.

Fyi Addai does much more haevy lifting then Maroney. He is an actual feature back.

If you can find me one person on the planet who thought they should take Addai over Maroney before the draft, maybe it's a blunder.

The fact is, Addai was universally rated a 2nd-round prospect. He was considered a need-based reach by the Colts, necessitated by the Patriots taking the guy they really wanted, Maroney. (Plus DeAngelo Williams was selected before Addai too!) It wasn't a "blunder" by the Patriots, it's just a player exceeding expectations, which happens all the time. In fact, if you could go back and make that pick over again, I bet you wouldn't take Addai! Look at some of the other players drafted after him: Marcus McNeill, DeMeco Ryans, etc.

If you want an if-then scenario to ponder, how about this one instead: lots of us here thought the Pats should try to move up in the 2nd for Joseph Addai. And if they hadn't taken Maroney, Addai probably would have been available at Chad Jackson's spot. So let's say instead of Maroney & Jackson you would have had Manny Lawson and Addai. (I just searched the draft forum archives and discovered a 2006 mock where I did just that!) Would you make that swap with full hindsight?

I see how you ignored all my other points. I wonder why? Btw I dont give a **** about ypc. Maroney has a great ypc avg and has no td's to show for it. He also plays far to little snaps in a game. Morris is the better runner. Morrris hits holes hard and finishes his runs being gang tackled by half the opposing team while getting yards. Morris is tougher and runs harder.

The TDs argument is BS. Playcalling has a huge roll in that. And you don't give a **** about yards per carry? Thanks for admitting your opinion is complete BS. You back it up with nothing. I can sit here and say Kyle Eckel is a better runner than Brian Westbrook because "runs harder." Of course like you I'd have nothing to back up that argument. And hey Eckel has a TD so he must be better than Maroney!

Last edited:

Facts:

Nobody is arguing with the fact that he is injured.

Maroney has missed three games this year.

Morris is hurt, on IR for the rest of the year.

Opinion (notice the difference):

Based on your reasoning, that makes Maroney the better runner. :bricks:

Addai is better = fact

The TDs argument is BS. Playcalling has a huge roll in that. And you don't give a **** about yards per carry? Thanks for admitting your opinion is complete BS. You back it up with nothing. I can sit here and say Kyle Eckel and is better runner than Brian Westbrook because "runs harder." Of course like you I'd have nothing to back up that argument. And hey Eckel has a TD so he must be beetter than Maroney!

Btw there is something to to Maroney having no td's. An explosive runner with big speed should have at least a few rushing td's in which he got into the secondary and blasted off a huge run.

Keep chugging that kool aid. Then at the end of the year when Maroney vastly underperforms you can make more excuses.

Last edited:

Addai is good and is more likely to have an above average career based on for sure production, staying healthy and the offense he's in. But I am absolutely convinced Maroney has more upside; he's faster and more powerful. He hasn't found himself yet but I'm not going to be disappointed in a RB who averaged 4.3 YPC as a rookie and is averaging 4.7 in his second year.

It's hard to blame the Pats for not taking Addai. Every year so many teams should've taken somebody different, it's just how the draft goes.

The premise of this thread is just very overstated. Addai has had the better of it to date, but the sample size is still pretty small. And saying "blunder" is idiotic. Maroney's got plenty of talent, and has performed pretty well. Give it time.

So let's say instead of Maroney & Jackson you would have had Manny Lawson and Addai. (I just searched the draft forum archives and discovered a 2006 mock where I did just that!) Would you make that swap with full hindsight?
Oh yeah ? Well I had Lawson and Greg Jennings in my mock so there :D

I really wanted Lawson. But I'm good with Maroney.

BTW, Maroney is almost two years younger than Addai. Maroney was born in 2/85 whereas Addai was 5/83. That could be part of why Addai was a little more ready right off the bat.

Adai did not make any cutbacks Sunday that Laurence could not make. That was not such a special play except for the way it developed and certain players over-committed. They weren't disciplined on that play or they stop it for a normal first down gainer.

To call Laurence a blunder at this stage is premature. Injuries happen to everybody, and I always refer people like you to remember how the talk went about Watson, and how we feel about Watson now.

Addai is better = fact

No, it's opinion. Perhaps you should start your new life off by learning the definitions of words. Then you could learn to choose yours more carefully. Your arguments against Maroney have been ridiculous from the beginning. This certainly doesn't help any. Are you SURE you're not a Colts fan?

I forget.
Is Morris still the hard, every-down, feature back that can carry the load, and Maroney is made of glass?:bricks:

No, it's opinion. Perhaps you should start your new life off by learning the definitions of words. Then you could learn to choose yours more carefully. Your arguments against Maroney have been ridiculous from the beginning. This certainly doesn't help any. Are you SURE you're not a Colts fan?

I think he's burdened a bit by virtue of being 12 years old.

Addai has been better to this point, yes. I agree with BF, though, in that I think Maroney's ceiling is higher. I don't know how you fault a RB who's running at 4.7 a clip.

I think in the end if he is utilized right...(i.e. used more in the passing game) Maroney will be the better back. Im happy with him.

I like LM. He will show how good he is when he gets the chance. Pats fans are quick to dump on players that don't play much like CJ and MC. I don't get that.

i think the problem is the injuries, not the production when he's on the field...

This is exactly the point.

I like Maroney, and I think he has a lot of nice tools and talent, but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the impact of the pro game. It shows up in the timid way he approaches the line and it shows up on his medical chart.

We'll have a different back starting here next year or two and Maroney will be a nice backup. Faulk is getting up in years, let's not forget. If they work with Maroney on his hands and get another back that can handle the every down load, they could develop Laurence into a nice change of pace, 3rd down, goal line guy.

Too bad Sammy Morris got injured. He could have been awesome in this offense this season.

Last edited:

1. And who's to say that Addai's leg doesn't explode this week? Addai was largely criticized for being a fragile back as well.
3. Addai has been quite a bit more featured than Maroney has been so far. I think this topic doesn't exist if the Colts brought back Dominic Rhodes and gave him split some of the carries. Maroney runs different plays,
4. "Like he used to"? You mean like in the third game of the season or something? He certainly hasn't regressed any.
5. You should look at any decision as it was made. If you liked Maroney better than Addai on Draft Day 2006 then you shouldn't complain now. Some draft decisions, some trades, some FA pickups are stupid from day one, picking Maroney sure as hell is not anywhere close to that.

1. Injuries are a part of football. So far, Addai has proven to be the more sturdy back.
3. I was under the impression that both Maroney and Addai ran "running plays". If you're referring to "catch-and-run plays" then, okay...but we have a RB on the roster that handles those.
4. Maroney is more tentative this year (when healthy) hitting the holes. I've seen more dancing behind the line this year than last. And he hasn't laid a good stiff-arm (supposedly one of his strengths) this year (again, when healthy).
5. Still, your original point about not evaluating Drafts in hindsight doesn't make any sense. We all look at past events in hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back