Welcome to PatsFans.com

The 3 Wise Monkees

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 7, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

Is it true that some people don't like discussing bad economic news because it's bad luck or something. It just seems that the more bad economic news that comes out, the less many want to discuss it.

I don't think it's a case of doomsayers vs. naysayers as it's just the reality we are living in. Why do people enjoy discussing good economic times so much but when a down-turn happens, they act like the 3 wise monkeys?

No matter what we discuss, it doesn't change anything. No matter what news comes out, it can't effect the economic trend...yes, there are people who think bad news fosters more bad economic times. I think that is ridiculous myself as the news must be reported in good times and in bad equally.

Attached Files:

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

There are market forces that react to what is said about the economy. You can't deny that. "Supply and demand" is not the only factor - that is oversimplifying.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

The public's mentality is very important. if they think it's dire they aren't going to spend. just look at people freaking out taking their money out of the bank. I think to an extent the more it is discussed the more it can have an effect on the actual economy.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I don't know, around here people seem to like to talk about the gloom and doom scenarios more than anything else. Although I will talk about either at times I try to stay away from day to day economic news or stock market volatility as the short term isn't overly meaningful and is highly volatile.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

Of course people react to what is said & written, but certainly not to what we say or write here on this board. also, reactions are only short-term otherwise you'd have to believe economic down-turns are mostly due to bad news and that would be just plain ridiculous.

99.9% of the causal factors that drive the economy are not "what is said or written". Supply & demand isn't as simple as most people think because that term involves the money supply, raw materials, consumer demand and employment just to name the main topics of supply & demand.

It is in no way bad to discuss poor economic times, nor is it bad luck. Do you think good times are just due to positive talk? again, a ridiculous assumption.
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

Now this I agree with (short term not meaningful). But here is my position...we talk about daily news all the time. So if the current economic news is gloomy, then lets discuss it or why not? If the economic news is bright & cheery, let's discuss it. It just seem like it would be supersticious to avoid discussing bad economic news.

Its not doom & gloom if that is what the news is. Just as it's not overly optimistic to discuss good trends. Isn't it funny we have a term for people who discuss negative trends ("gloom & doomers") but we don't have a term for people who like to discuss great economic trends. Both are equally realty, are they not?

Can anyone explain why we mockingly name those who discuss the negative news but we don't have a derogatory name for those who talk about a bright & shiny future?
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

they're called neocons here;)
  8. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

maybe you should have went witht he Three Blind Mice
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

No kidding! You just watch once the economy turns around...EVERYONE will want to talk economics then!:rolleyes:
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I thought you were talking about public and media statements.
    Of course nothing that is said here means anything.
    I think that today's omnipotent media does have a greater effect on the markets than it did in the past, though. Distant markets are more likely to react to the internet and TV reports. Overall, the effect might be small, but it is increasing.