PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 3-Pick Plan: CB, DT, OL?

Have to agree with Mayo here: the reason nobody's talking about safeties is that there aren't any worth talking about. My guess is the only way we see more than one safety drafted in the top two rounds is if you reclassify Shaq Thompson as a SS.

I have Shaq Thompson worth a top 50 pick on my revised short board (in progress), as a LB/S hybrid. I have Cody Prewitt and Jaquiski Tartt as 4th round options based on overall value at that point in the draft, and Durrell Eskridge and Adrian Amos as potential day 3 prospects. I have Cassius Sendish as a late day 3 value pick. Damarius Randall would be on my list but he's redundant with Devin McCourty and will go too high to warrant a pick on a depth player; Sendish is a much more reasonable option.

I wouldn't rule out taking a larger developmental corner who's worst case is a move to safety like Eric Rowe or Justin Cox. I've always liked the idea of taking college corners in this manner the same as college tackles converting to guards. If a guy like Rowe or Cox proves they can be a physical press man corner that's a bonus but if they convert to safety it's not a bad plan B. Both are athletic but need work.

I wouldn't rule out taking a larger developmental corner who's worst case is a move to safety like Eric Rowe or Justin Cox. I've always liked the idea of taking college corners in this manner the same as college tackles converting to guards. If a guy like Rowe or Cox proves they can be a physical press man corner that's a bonus but if they convert to safety it's not a bad plan B. Both are athletic but need work.

Cox is a day 3 option, and should have been on my list. I think Rowe is much better as a press-man CB than as a safety. He's going to be a day 2 pick, probably 2nd round.

Cox is a day 3 option, and should have been on my list. I think Rowe is much better as a press-man CB than as a safety. He's going to be a day 2 pick, probably 2nd round.

Cox could go as high as the 4th round but I more or less agree on both. Cox purely from a way his body looks when he runs aspect reminds me or Meriweather. I think ultimately you're correct that Rowe is a corner and Cox a safety but I think they both have flexibility to end up at either position thus I like them both. If Rowe is there at 64 I would take him as long as there isn't a ridiculous value somewhere else. Ultimately he may not be there at 64.

I consider Shaq Thompson a safety.

Damarious Randall is the best non-box safety in the class. Could easily go in round two. Admittedly I haven't seen Derron Smith though.

But Cassius Sendish is the man for the Pats. Ideal Patriot.

Don't forget that Byron Jones played safety. It's useful to have a fall back position for a high draft pick so they get a second bite at the cherry if they bust at their first position.

Don't forget that Byron Jones played safety. It's useful to have a fall back position for a high draft pick so they get a second bite at the cherry if they bust at their first position.

I was making the case for Rowe and Cox but certainly it applies to Jones.

It seems to me that bb has not drafted many corners or O lineman in the first round, but he has drafted several d linemen in the first round.

At 32 bb should have several really good options available at the dt position. But if the right player is not available, I expect bb to trade back.

It seems to me that bb has not drafted many corners or O lineman in the first round, but he has drafted several d linemen in the first round.

At 32 bb should have several really good options available at the dt position. But if the right player is not available, I expect bb to trade back.

He's also been happy putting Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, Kyle Love, Brandon Deadrick and Sealver Siliga on the field for significant snaps over the course of a season or two. He won't reach on a DT, the question is who will (or won't) he consider a reach.

1st round picks under BB (14 - 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2014):

QBs: None
RBs: Laurence Maroney (21)
WRs: None
TEs: Dan Graham (21), Ben Watson (32)
OLs: Nate Solder (17), Logan Mankins (32)
DTs: Richard Seymour (6), Ty Warren (13), Vince Wilfork (21), Dominique Easley (29)
DEs: Chandler Jones (21)
LBs: Jerod Mayo (10), Dont'a Hightower (25)
DBs: Brandon Meriweather (24), Devin McCourty (27)

The Pats also took Ras-I Dowling (33), Pat Chung (34) and Eugene Wilson (36) in the early 2nd round, so 5 times BB has taken a DB in the top 36 picks, the most of any positional group.

Before we draft a second guard. I'd be curious to know if BB thinks Cam Fleming can play RG or not. If he's going to play RG, only need one guard until late rounds.

We need a starting LG and a backup LG or backup OT.

Personally, I would like to see us signing a veteran and then draft two. IMHO, we need three players to replace Connolly, Devey and Kline on the roster.

He's also been happy putting Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, Kyle Love, Brandon Deadrick and Sealver Siliga on the field for significant snaps over the course of a season or two. He won't reach on a DT, the question is who will (or won't) he consider a reach.

Lately I have focused on Carl Davis of Iowa. A natural one technique that is more athletic than I thought at first. He seems to hold the point of attack well which is huge in our system. He is never going to be a pass rusher, he only has one pass rush move, a bull rush, but he plugs up the middle fairly well.

In my book, he does not have a first round grade, but if BB can trade down or up into the late 30's, he would be an interesting pick.

Lately I have focused on Carl Davis of Iowa. A natural one technique that is more athletic than I thought at first. He seems to hold the point of attack well which is huge in our system. He is never going to be a pass rusher, he only has one pass rush move, a bull rush, but he plugs up the middle fairly well.

In my book, he does not have a first round grade, but if BB can trade down or up into the late 30's, he would be an interesting pick.

He's my favourite of those DTs that have generally been regarded as first or early second round DTs. I don't want him too but I can see BB going DT with the first pick. I just worry it's a wasted pick.

He's my favourite of those DTs that have generally been regarded as first or early second round DTs. I don't want him too but I can see BB going DT with the first pick. I just worry it's a wasted pick.
Why would it be a wasted pick ? We play a lot of running teams this year, especially in our division, and the big guys need to be rotated. Siliga, Branch, Easley, Chris Jones is a decent group but one more talented player could definitely be added. That said, I am expecting a big body run stopper only type a little later in the draft.

Why would it be a wasted pick ? We play a lot of running teams this year, especially in our division, and the big guys need to be rotated. Siliga, Branch, Easley, Chris Jones is a decent group but one more talented player could definitely be added. That said, I am expecting a big body run stopper only type a little later in the draft.

Because I don't like the value of taking a non-pass rushing DT that high unless it's someone as good as Wilfork. There are run defending DTs that can be taken in the mid-later rounds.

Going back to the original question. What is the best strategy to get a top CB, OG and DT?

Q1) Do we believe that we can get a top run-stiffing DT at 64 (or perhaps with a bit of a trade up or down)?

Q2) Do we believe that we can get a starting LG at 97 or with a trade up from 96?
===

If the above two are doable, it seems that the best strategy seems to plan to get the best corner available at 32, understanding that this may involve a trade up or down.

Kevin Johnson, Cameron Erving, Grady Jarrett, Tyler Lockett

Going back to the original question. What is the best strategy to get a top CB, OG and DT?

Q1) Do we believe that we can get a top run-stiffing DT at 64 (or perhaps with a bit of a trade up or down)?

Q2) Do we believe that we can get a starting LG at 97 or with a trade up from 96?
=

If the above two are doable, it seems that the best strategy seems to plan to get the best corner available at 32, understanding that this may involve a trade up or down.
Well THAT is the million dollar question. Here's how I see it.

1. It's a simple fact that high end DT talent is as rare a commodity as franchise QB's. You can't pass one up given the opportunity.

2. On the other hand, solid run stuffers are another story, and are can be found throughout the draft most years. So the question becomes is there going to be a DT worthy of the pick at #32, and if not what kind of pick would make you take a leap to have a 5th year with the player.

3. The safest choice would probably be an offensive lineman that you could project as an upgrade at LG. That being said, history has shown us that we can likely find a starter in the 2nd, 3rd of even 4th rounds of the draft, so any OL pick that high would necessitate being not only an immediate starter but a an obvious upgrade

4. The real strength of our draft is going to come between picks 96 and 105. Will there be any" hidden gems" at that part of the draft. Who are the "Dominique Easley's of this draft, because when it comes down to it, the ONLY real "steals" that are going to happen between 1-95 are going to be injury, character concerns, or players with Jamie Collins syndrome, a small school genetic freak.

5. I am comfortable that we will find our OL depth, whether it's early or later. However for the rest, I find it hard to think we can do more than just average unless we are willing to roll the dice with more than a player or 2. Other wise I don't see us adding any impact players to the starting roster this year.

6. So beyond Marcus Peters, who are the injury/character guys who could possibly fall to us in the first 4 rounds that would make the congregation go "wow". This is the year I think we should take some shots. We have been drafting pretty well for numbers and depth the past 4 or 5 years, so I think we could afford to swing and miss this year. I think the draftnik community can do a real service to the less able like myself by creating a list of high risk reward picks that we can follow this month

If you swing and miss too many times, you may end up with Jordan Devey at LG and Joe
Vellano at DT. This team has some large holes to fill. Ideally, the Patriots should fortify
these positions before the draft.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back