PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 Team Is All But Set, Unless

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Butler has an elite/All-Pro CB year w/ INTs and comp % vs he will fetch a late 1st rounder.

Highest tender is a 1st and a 3rd. That's a big haul to give up for a guy you're going to have to sign to a big deal or else risk simply losing the following year.

When is the last time a team gave a first for a restricted free agent?

Just curious.

No clue. I bet you can count the number of times that has happened on one hand.

I can remember them trading players that were tagged like Cassel for picks. They also did get 1st for Branch and Sey but they were obviously trades and not restricted so to speak

Last edited:
Highest tender is a 1st and a 3rd. That's a big haul to give up for a guy you're going to have to sign to a big deal or else risk simply losing the following year.
I agree.

Let's hope its all moot and they work out a win/win deal for Malcolm.

My way-too-early roster prediction

QB (2): Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett,
RB (5): Blount, Lewis, White, Bolden, Foster
FB (1): Develin
WR (6): Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Washington, Mitchell, Lucien
TE (3): Gronkowski, Bennett, Williams
OT (3): Solder, Vollmer, Waddle
OG (3): Thuney, Cooper, Mason, Jackson
C (1): Stork

DE (5): Ninkovich, Sheard, Long, Grissom, Flowers
DT (4): Brown, Knighton, Valentine, Branch
LB (4): Collins, Hightower, Freeny, McClellin
CB (5): Butler, Ryan, Jones, Coleman, Roberts
S (4): McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards

ST (4): Slater, Ebner, King, Grugier-Hill
LS (1): Cardona
K (1): Gostkowki
P (1): Allen

Foster could be DJ or Arian, you never know! My feeling is DJ Foster provides a backstop for Lewis, and someone like Arian Foster would provide a backstop for Blount. Depends which one you determine to be more important, since White is competent enough as a receiver.

My best bets for UDFA are Foster and one of the corners, who could easily beat out one of the special teamers or Coleman or Roberts.

Looking at the roster, the most likely candidates for signings or trades prior to camp are running back, defensive tackle, and linebacker.

Foster could be DJ or Arian, you never know! My feeling is DJ Foster provides a backstop for Lewis, and someone like Arian Foster would provide a backstop for Blount. Depends which one you determine to be more important, since White is competent enough as a receiver.

My best bets for UDFA are Foster and one of the corners, who could easily beat out one of the special teamers or Coleman or Roberts.

Looking at the roster, the most likely candidates for signings or trades prior to camp are running back, defensive tackle, and linebacker.

I would move Lucien, to PS and believe Develin will be cut because they are going two TE.

I like your roster prediction but i dont see them carrying 6 backs at all...
I think Karras will make the team so. He is one of the tops pass protection G, hey really need one of those...

RB (5): Blount, Lewis, Bolden, Foster, White
OT (3): Solder, Vollmer, Thuney
OG (4): Karras, Cooper, Mason, Jackson

If foster is healthy, he is defiantly a starter over Blount. When healthy, he's a top 5-10 RB

Obviously injuries and competition will force many changes over the coming months. However, some changes are under the control of the team.

POSSIBILITIES
1) Cannon could be cut.
2) Amendola could be cut.
3) We may have free agent additions or trades.

Pretty accurate for what could happen. Last year it was Dennard and Arrington that got booted out the door and what seemed an endless revolving door of CB coming and going to try and fill their spots. Ended up with Brown and Coleman. Traded Devey for TE Cleveland. Signed and released Spikes and Flynn. Said goodbye to TE Wright.

There always seems to be someone from the previous year that Belichick is unhappy with. Mostly it seems a lack of production for what you are getting paid for or maybe just a bad influence in the locker room. Cannon was paid to be the back-up swing tackle and he is some what effective at RT only. With the drafting of Thuney, it puts Cannon at risk of being cut. The same logic applies to Amendola, he was signed to be Welkers replacement but Edelman won that spot. Because of who we picked up in FA and the draft, Amendola could be cut to save cap space.

I would move Lucien, to PS and believe Develin will be cut because they are going two TE.

Lucien's a guy I'm pretty excited about for whatever reason, but you're right - Develin might be replaced by a fourth tight end like Derby or Harbor.

Because of who we picked up in FA and the draft, Amendola could be cut to save cap space.

Unless it makes the difference between being able to extend a player like Collins or Hightower and being over the cap, cutting Amendola doesn't make a ton of sense. He's productive, he works hard, Brady trusts him, he contributes on special teams, and, maybe most importantly, he knows the offense. Is he overpaid? Sure. But Edelman is underpaid, so it balances out in the end.

I like your list!!! The only two things I am not sure about would be the 6 wr's and the 5 rb's

Isn't Logan Ryan on this list as well?

Yes. Logan Ryan's deal runs out after 2016. I think that's why we saw a CB picked with the top pick.

Please provide a reference to a 1st and 3rd.

Lucien's a guy I'm pretty excited about for whatever reason, but you're right - Develin might be replaced by a fourth tight end like Derby or Harbor.

I like Lucien I just don't see room.

Assuming health, that's a frigging good looking team. God I hope the Pats are able to retain a healthy OL this season.

I like Lucien I just don't see room.

Yea hes a long shot. I like him too. Maybe PSQ if he can distinct himself on STs

Unless it makes the difference between being able to extend a player like Collins or Hightower and being over the cap, cutting Amendola doesn't make a ton of sense. He's productive, he works hard, Brady trusts him, he contributes on special teams, and, maybe most importantly, he knows the offense. Is he overpaid? Sure. But Edelman is underpaid, so it balances out in the end.

I agree. It makes no sense to cut Amendola now because replacing him and the dead money don't work. I have been an Amendola supporter from the beginning but I can see letting him go after this season if they can't reach an extension with him, however releasing him now doesn't do anything for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back