PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016-2017 Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you don't have any RBs, your desire for a better WR rings hollow. The young Offensive linemen WILL get better. How much is the only question. After all they were only good enough to get to the AFCCG.

Everyone would love to get a young Randy Moss but there is no draft pick to get him, even if he were in the draft. Teams with great WRs have CAP problems and seldom go far in the Playoffs. RBs only have so many carries in them. Signing a older vet there is just plain stupid, especially if he has had much hard use, like a Forte.
I agree that we need young talent at RB, especially a between-the-tackles runner.

I also agree that signing an older vet does not solve the problem of needing fresh, healthy legs both now and in the future.

However, we also need young talent at WR (and at OT & Move TE).

Hawg Hannahs don't come along very often.
No one is asking for another Hannah, just a competent player who can not get dominated by any player that's above average, give Brady some time, and not completely suck as a run blocker. We don't have John Hannah on the roster, but we don't have a G as good as what I described either.

yes to harvin.

better than wasting a pick on some scrub WR from college that will be a BUST.
Can Harvin put points on the board without suiting up?
He can't stay healthy, and when he is healthy he doesn't want to play football.
Chris Harper is better, and he sucks, but he has more of the most important ability availability.

The problem with Solder-Shaq-Stork-Jackson-Vollmer, IMO, is that none of the three guys in the middle were very good this year. Stork could well get back to his 2014 level, and Shaq and Jackson should improve from their rookie seasons, but to bank on any two of those things happening is living dangerously, let alone all three. And when the health of a 39 year old QB hangs in the balance, I'd really rather we didn't live too dangerously.

The Patriots should sign Baltimore UFA G/T Kelechi Osemele who is a proven guard who kicked out to left tackle through necessity in 2015: Kelechi Osemele - Baltimore Ravens - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The Patriots should sign Baltimore UFA G/T Kelechi Osemele who is a proven guard who kicked out to left tackle through necessity in 2015: Kelechi Osemele - Baltimore Ravens - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

He'd be my top target. I'd also like to sign Sanu. Willing to release; Cannon, Chandler and
Lafell or Amendola from our current offense. OT, WR and RB would be my top 3 picks in draft too.
Not necessarily in that order.

LaFell had 74 rec 953 yds 7 td in his only healthy season with us. I know he sucked in 2015. DA has been here 3 years and hasn't had a season that good. Would hope rookie WR helps return game. Maybe, a kid
like Tyler Boyd from Pitt.

I agree that we need young talent at RB, especially a between-the-tackles runner.

I also agree that signing an older vet does not solve the problem of needing fresh, healthy legs both now and in the future.

However, we also need young talent at WR (and at OT & Move TE).

That's my exact list on offense as well.

Guards absolutely are drafted in the first round.
If you think anything Mason did this year was superior, we just should choose to not discuss football with each other.

I will say that you are both right on certain points. It is correct that Shaq was not good this season, especially as a pass rusher.

He is a very skilled puller, however, and showed that at times this season. Still a big project but he's a very good athlete in space for a guard.

yes to harvin.

better than wasting a pick on some scrub WR from college that will be a BUST.

Percy Harvin is one of the worst teammates in the NFL, and he comes with the bonus of being made of breakaway glass. Yes, not just regular glass, that's how fragile this idiot is. He gets hurt every year, like clockwork, and often more than once. Pass, very much pass.

DeCastro was available.
I would've drafted him, then used the second 1st-rounder on Chandler Jones, then used our 2nd-rounder
on Lavonte David instead of Tavon F Wilson.
Then again, Bill also could've drafted Joel Bitonio instead of Dom Easily(Injured).

You'd be happier with Decastro on the team than Hightower? I mean, I know that there would be absolutely no change to the draft if different guys were drafted so obviously David would still be there, there would be no possible butterfly effect (even though it's not exactly a butterfly effect when the changes are big).

You should really change your name to Captain Hindsight, as there is literally no way you were advocating that before the draft. And no Hightower means no Pats Super Bowl, because as we know we'd see no butterfly effect and they would be right down there on the goal line for Butler's pick. Except there's no way Lavonte David would have bench pressed Russell Okung and made that tackle the play before.

No Hightower, no ring in 2014.

south-park-s14e11c02-captain-hindsight-16x9.jpg

Lafell clearly never recovered from his foot injury. I would expect a return to form from him next year.

out only real big need offensively is a first and second down running back. Technically Lewis can play all downs. but you dont want to put that pounding on a guy who has an injury history and coming off of a torn acl

I worry about Lewis holding up again. Kinda want to save him for the playoffs

You'd be happier with Decastro on the team than Hightower? I mean, I know that there would be absolutely no change to the draft if different guys were drafted so obviously David would still be there, there would be no possible butterfly effect (even though it's not exactly a butterfly effect when the changes are big).

You should really change your name to Captain Hindsight, as there is literally no way you were advocating that before the draft. And no Hightower means no Pats Super Bowl, because as we know we'd see no butterfly effect and they would be right down there on the goal line for Butler's pick. Except there's no way Lavonte David would have bench pressed Russell Okung and made that tackle the play before.

No Hightower, no ring in 2014.

View attachment 12181

How do you know the offense wouldn't have been more effective with DeCastro, making stopping Lynch unnecessary? You're kind of being Captain Hindsight yourself.

What makes you think he would be cheap, given that he played LOT as well. He will argue he should be on the LOT payscale not simply a much lower Guards remuneration.

If you want a cheaper "more talented" Guard and a Top Ten pick, see if the Cards will swap for Cooper. He is currently only second string, and maybe a bust, but Scar might rescue him.

Last edited:
How do you know the offense wouldn't have been more effective with DeCastro, making stopping Lynch unnecessary? You're kind of being Captain Hindsight yourself.

I'd simply rather have Hightower than DeCastro, who is a very good guard. I was merely pointing out how absurd that line of reasoning is. Because see, Hightower making that tackle is not hindsight, that's what actually happened. Let's live in the universe we're actually in.

I'm going to call you crazy. ;)

Dobson's issues go above and beyond his injuries. After all, he was perfectly healthy earlier in the season and allowed an outsider (Keyshawn Martin) to take over his reps.

Gee, they are both"receivers". but they play different positions, don't they?

Just like Guards and Left Tackles are both linemen, and therefor substitutible, aren't they?

Last edited:
So your answer is fix nothing?
We don't have a draft? We can't sign free agents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With what we will have courtesy of Herr Schieskopf, is a couple of RBs and a depth player or two in 2016. Not the extensive changes you demand. Get realistic.

When you don't have any RBs, your desire for a better WR rings hollow. The young Offensive linemen WILL get better. How much is the only question. After all they were only good enough to get to the AFCCG.

Everyone would love to get a young Randy Moss but there is no draft pick to get him, even if he were in the draft. Teams with great WRs have CAP problems and seldom go far in the Playoffs. RBs only have so many carries in them. Signing a older vet there is just plain stupid, especially if he has had much hard use, like a Forte.

Hoping for production from a mid round RB is what is "stupid," the Patriots need a proven back who can run both inside and out and can catch the ball out of the backfield and Forte fits that bill perfectly. If they draft a RB in addition to signing a proven one in free agency that's fine with me but going into next season without adding a proven RB would be foolish imo.

In comparing Edelman and LaFell, also take into consideration their special teams roles. Amendola is much more valuable on special teams then LaFell. We all saw the problems we had at punt return when Amendola was injured and we had someone else back there fielding punt returns.

Hoping for production from a mid round RB is what is "stupid," the Patriots need a proven back who can run both inside and out and can catch the ball out of the backfield and Forte fits that bill perfectly. If they draft a RB in addition to signing a proven one in free agency that's fine with me but going into next season without adding a proven RB would be foolish imo.
I could agree and you could sign a vet RB as well, but you only can afford a middle level vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back