PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

The Patriots have interviewed (and brought in for visits) players they have almost no intention of, or expectation of, ever drafting. "Due diligence," as they say.

In other words: I'm not betting my car on this. Your car, maybe. ;)

They also met with Chandler Jones last year at the Combine so it's at least worth looking at. I would never for a minute claim that their visits are a good indicator of who they'll draft but at the very least it's something tangible that might give us a clue.

And betting my car won't win you very much I'm afraid.

Getting ready for four days of on-field drills. God I'm nerdy.

Trouble is, I'm also ready for four days of absolute frustration as the prospect you've been waiting for steps up for a drill just as NFL Network breaks away for a pointless interview or advert break.

Looking forward to the Lane Johnon v Terron Armstead battle today. Who'll put up the best numbers.

Looking forward to watching Luke Marquardt for the first time

Menelik Watson's drills will be interesting

Hopefully Nick Kasa runs better than 4.6 and Gavin Escobar will be great to watch.

DL's are weighing in today. Dion Jordan weighed in well at 6062 and 248lbs which is important for him. Good weight.

This gave me a chuckle this morning from NFL Insider Mike Freeman at CBS:

mike freeman ‏@realfreemancbs
Was walking behind a group of players heading to combine at 7-something this morning. The players were laughing, cutting up. Then......in the distance, we could see Bill Belichick, heading our way..The players literally started walking straighter. One took off his headsets. Everything got really quiet...

Belichick: "How you guys doing?" And he kept walking.

One player: "Fine sir." Belichick goes by and one guy says..."Do you know who that was?"

Good stuff!

Getting ready for four days of on-field drills. God I'm nerdy.

Trouble is, I'm also ready for four days of absolute frustration as the prospect you've been waiting for steps up for a drill just as NFL Network breaks away for a pointless interview or advert break.

Looking forward to the Lane Johnon v Terron Armstead battle today. Who'll put up the best numbers.

Looking forward to watching Luke Marquardt for the first time

Menelik Watson's drills will be interesting

Hopefully Nick Kasa runs better than 4.6 and Gavin Escobar will be great to watch.

Not nerdy at all my man. I love the combine and draft. Ever since they switched the draft format from all day Sat and Sun to the current Thur-Sat format, I have taken Thursday and Friday off from work............EVERY YEAR!!! LOL.

It's always interesting to get the official measurements. Bjoern Werner came in almost an inch shorter and 10 lbs heavier than he was previously listed. DL Werner 6032 266.

OL Terron Armstead just ran an unofficial 4.65! WOW!

He is about to have the greatest combine workout for an O-lineman ever. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get some 1st round love soon.

I also can't wait to see his 10 yard split, he was so explosive out of his stance.

He is about to have the greatest combine workout for an O-lineman ever. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get some 1st round love soon.

I also can't wait to see his 10 yard split, he was so explosive out of his stance.

Called it!

He's as fast as Gronk!!!

Called it!

He's as fast as Gronk!!!

Gotta give you props man, you found him really early, way before he started getting love at the East West Shrine Game. That was a great find.

Called it!

He's as fast as Gronk!!!

That's a combine record! (at least until Lane Johnson runs)

Oday Absoushi with a slow 5.44 and Colorado offensive tackle David Bakhtiari looked a bit better with a 5.01.

1.64 10-yard split for Armstead

Cooper looks much more athletic on tape than he did there in the 40. Don't really care about the numbers, the guy moves great on the field.

Cooper looks much more athletic on tape than he did there in the 40. Don't really care about the numbers, the guy moves great on the field.

Absolutely.

OTOH, DJ Fluker looked really good in the 40, less so on tape. I know he's lost some weight.

So how high do people take Armstead? And do you see him replacing Vollmer or shifting inside to OG.

For me, I see him as a round 2-3 guy (I'd just about be prepared to take him in the 2nd) and I see him as a RT in time. Blocking TE, swing backup in year one.

Absolutely.

OTOH, DJ Fluker looked really good in the 40, less so on tape. I know he's lost some weight.

So how high do people take Armstead? And do you see him replacing Vollmer or shifting inside to OG.

For me, I see him as a round 2-3 guy (I'd just about be prepared to take him in the 2nd) and I see him as a RT in time. Blocking TE, swing backup in year one.

I would certainly consider Armstead in the 2nd round. I think it would depend on who else is available. I know the NFL Network is hyping this O-Line class but I don't think some of these guys go as high as they think. I think 3rd round would be great value for Armstead.

Fluker looked horrible in that drill and I think he is an OG in the NFL. I thought that based off the tape anyway, this just solidified it for me.

Absolutely.

This year, I see any OL we draft shifting inside to play RG with either a FA stopgap or Cannon manning the RT position. This is my opinion, but improving RG play really improves two positions as we would then have the ability to shift Connolly back to C.

This year, I see any OL we draft shifting inside to play RG with either a FA stopgap or Cannon manning the RT position. This is my opinion, but improving RG play really improves two positions as we would then have the ability to shift Connolly back to C.

I still love Barrett Jones, who I think could be a quality player at all 3 of those positions. I think Armstead should sit first year anyway and add some weight to play RT.

Interesting, Cooper snapping the ball in that drill. I know some people here have discussed the idea of moving him to C.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back