The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
With less than two weeks to go, the official list for the NFL Combine is out:

2013 Official Invite List | NFL Combine

Dane Brugler has a list of the noticeable absentees:

2013 NFL Draft: Top 10 Combine Snubs - CBSSports

Very surprised to see 'Bama's TE, Michael Williams won't be present. I know he's not going to wow anybody athletically but even so.

also disappointed that Harvard TE Kyle Juszczyk won't be present, was looking forward to seeing how fast he was and to watch him catching the ball.

The name that jumped out at me was Kenny Tate. It wasn't that long ago that he was touted as a sure fire 1st rounder. I know he changed positions, but still. To go from 1st rounder to not even a Combine invite is, to me, a huge snub.

I'm a little surprised LSU's Russell Sheppard didn't get an invite.
He was decent at the Sr. Bowl.

Plus, a lot of intrigue in terms of where he'll play at the next level (if he plays at the next level).

I'm disappointed my Super Binkie Michael Williams didn't get an invite. But I guess there is nothing at the combine that is gonna prove even further that he will be the most dominant blocking TE in the NFL. I was hoping to see how his athleticism translates because I think he could surprise some people, but I guess we will just have to wait until the Bama Pro Day.

Some of the other guys that surprised me were Wes Horton, Curtis McNeal, Rashard Hall and Anthony McCloud. I thought they were all worth an invite at least.

Twitter is reporting that Lane Johnson ran a 4.67 in combine training. The fastest OL at the combine in the last eight years was Allen Babre at 4.84. Incredible!

Twitter is reporting that Lane Johnson ran a 4.67 in combine training. The fastest OL at the combine in the last eight years was Allen Babre at 4.84. Incredible!

We all know that straight line speed means nothing for an OL. Still this will inevitably improve his draft speed as some GM/scouts will become enamored with the athleticism that the 40 yard mark reprsents in their minds. I'm sure if Al Davis were still in charge Johnson woud automatically become the Raiders first round pick this year.

We all know that straight line speed means nothing for an OL. Still this will inevitably improve his draft speed as some GM/scouts will become enamored with the athleticism that the 40 yard mark reprsents in their minds. I'm sure if Al Davis were still in charge Johnson woud automatically become the Raiders first round pick this year.

Johnson was considered a 1st round pick even prior to the report of how he did running the 40 came out. Things that this DOES tell people is that he should have very good explosion coming out of his stance for run blocking. From what I've read (as I mentioned in the prospect thread, I haven't watched the Senior Bowl tape yet), he's a natural bender and has good footwork as well as a strong hand punch and long arms (35") The speed of the 40 could help people determine on whether or not he can pull and get to the second level.

If that speed does translate into explosion off the snap, there's a good chance that teams who like to run the ball will look at him as a mauling right tackle to run behind without the help of a TE. Which could help almost any offense.

Offensice Linemen are getting measured today. Some notes from what I've learned from twitter so far:

One knock on Jon Cooper was his size. But he measured in at 6'2" and 311 lbs compared to 6'2", 317lbs for Chance Warmack. No noticeable difference there.

Menelik Watson measured in at 6'5" 310lbs with 34" arms. For comparison, Luke Joeckel was 6'6", 303 and 34.5" arms so not too bad for Watson. Not ideal for a Pats RT (would prefer 6'7 or so) but not terrible.

Keenan Allen not to participate due to pcl injury.

Barkley is waiting for his pro day to throw. Big turnoff. To each his own.

He still isn't 100% after his shoulder injury. Probably a smart move when his arm strength has been questioned.

He still isn't 100% after his shoulder injury. Probably a smart move when his arm strength has been questioned.

He injured that thing in November? It's been 3 months post injury now. Isn't that a little concerning that he isn't going to throw? As an outsider without the facts it makes me wonder why a 22 year old kid couldn't heal enough to 100% in 3 months to go out and perform for scouts.

Dj Fluker dropped 16 pounds since the senior bowl weighing in at 339.

He injured that thing in November? It's been 3 months post injury now. Isn't that a little concerning that he isn't going to throw? As an outsider without the facts it makes me wonder why a 22 year old kid couldn't heal enough to 100% in 3 months to go out and perform for scouts.

He's not received Doctor's clearance to start throwing beyond what he's doing in rehab. When millions are on the line, its better safe than sorry from his perspective.

Offensice Linemen are getting measured today. Some notes from what I've learned from twitter so far:

One knock on Jon Cooper was his size. But he measured in at 6'2" and 311 lbs compared to 6'2", 317lbs for Chance Warmack. No noticeable difference there.

Menelik Watson measured in at 6'5" 310lbs with 34" arms. For comparison, Luke Joeckel was 6'6", 303 and 34.5" arms so not too bad for Watson. Not ideal for a Pats RT (would prefer 6'7 or so) but not terrible.

Dying to see Cooper in the drills. He can dispel some of his strength critics with a good showing.

Keenan Allen not to participate due to pcl injury.

Good on Allen not participating. Pats could get a crack at him.

Jordan Reed: 6'2.5 236 pounds. If he runs fast enough he might as well be called a WR this draft. Is there a smaller TE anyone can think of? Hernandez is 6'2 245 pounds.

EDIT: holy crap Toilolo 6'8 and 34 1/2 inch arms, gimme! :D

Jordan Reed: 6'2.5 236 pounds. If he runs fast enough he might as well be called a WR this draft. Is there a smaller TE anyone can think of? Hernandez is 6'2 245 pounds.

EDIT: holy crap Toilolo 6'8 and 34 1/2 inch arms, gimme! :D

Jordan Reed is a former top QB recruit, so he's an athlete.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back