PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2011 "expert consensus" draft rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've just done a little experiment. Outside of the top 20 or so, there is rarely any agreement as to who the top draft prospects are each year. Everybody has a favorite site they visit for rankings, each site has their favorite players, and each site completely misses a player who winds up going in round 2. I have tried to collect as many rankings as possible to reach a consensus top 100.

Attached is my attempt to find the consensus media opinions of the top prospects in this draft. To do this I imported the prospect rankings of 9 sites and/or "experts" (Mayock, Kiper, McShay, NFL Draft Countdown, Great Blue North, CBS, About.com, CDS and Yahoo) and found the mean ranking of each player. A player had to be ranked in at least 3 of the above sites in order to be considered.

The results are very interesting. If anything, they give a good indication as to where the value can be found. Some highlights...

-Cam Newton's average rank is #16. He's high potential and high upside, but I have a very hard time believing he goes #1 overall. Has there ever been a riskier #1 overall pick?

-Mel Kiper thinks Brooks Reed is a 1st rounder? Not one of the 9 sites I checked had him in their top 40, and his average ranking is 64.5. Jabaal Sheard is ranked significantly higher than Reed, and Sam Acho is not far behind.

-LSU DT Drake Nevis is ranked as high as #16 and as low as #120. How the hell does that happen? Likewise, Cameron Heyward is ranked as high as #23 and as low as #100.

-The Patriots position at #17 looks very good from a value standpoint. Someone from the group of Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan will be available. I'd be happy with any of those 4.

-The Patriots position at #28 looks very poor from a value standpoint. There is a significant value dropoff after Akeem Ayers ( whom I don't love at 25th overall with an average rank of 25.2). Unless Mark Ingram falls, the guy picked at #28 will likely be a 2nd round talent. This is the pick to trade.

Attachments

• rankings.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 33
I've just done a little experiment. Outside of the top 20 or so, there is rarely any agreement as to who the top draft prospects are each year. Everybody has a favorite site they visit for rankings, each site has their favorite players, and each site completely misses a player who winds up going in round 2. I have tried to collect as many rankings as possible to reach a consensus top 100.

Attached is my attempt to find the consensus media opinions of the top prospects in this draft. To do this I imported the prospect rankings of 9 sites and/or "experts" (Mayock, Kiper, McShay, NFL Draft Countdown, Great Blue North, CBS, About.com, CDS and Yahoo) and found the mean ranking of each player. A player had to be ranked in at least 3 of the above sites in order to be considered.

The results are very interesting. If anything, they give a good indication as to where the value can be found. Some highlights...

-Cam Newton's average rank is #16. He's high potential and high upside, but I have a very hard time believing he goes #1 overall. Has there ever been a riskier #1 overall pick?

-Mel Kiper thinks Brooks Reed is a 1st rounder? Not one of the 9 sites I checked had him in their top 40, and his average ranking is 64.5. Jabaal Sheard is ranked significantly higher than Reed, and Sam Acho is not far behind.

-LSU DT Drake Nevis is ranked as high as #16 and as low as #120. How the hell does that happen? Likewise, Cameron Heyward is ranked as high as #23 and as low as #100.

-The Patriots position at #17 looks very good from a value standpoint. Someone from the group of Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith or Ryan Kerrigan will be available. I'd be happy with any of those 4.

-The Patriots position at #28 looks very poor from a value standpoint. There is a significant value dropoff after Akeem Ayers ( whom I don't love at 25th overall with an average rank of 25.2). Unless Mark Ingram falls, the guy picked at #28 will likely be a 2nd round talent. This is the pick to trade.

Interesting. Shows to go you that "professionals" are guessing along with the rest of us at this point.

I appreciate your efforts here sir, nice work! Interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back