PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2009 Red Sox

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the changes I would make if I wore the Gorilla suit..

Players under contract/exclusive rights

Player Position Signed through
J.D. Drew RF 2011
Papi DH 2010
Mike Lowell 3B 2010
Jason Bay LF 2009
Youk 1B Arbitration eligible
Pedroria 2B Rookie contract
Ellsbury CF Rookie contract
Lowrie SS Rookie Contract
Josh Becket SP 2010
Dice-K SP 2012
Wake SP 2009
Lester SP rookie contract
Buchholz SP rookie contract
Bowden Sp rookie contract
Okajima RP 2009
Papelbon RP Arbitration Eligible
Delcarmen RP rookie contract
Masterson RP Rookie contract

Players they need to unload..
Julio Lugo SS 2010
CoCo Crisp CF 2009

I think that they will re-sign Varitek, they will pick -up the very inexpensive club option they have for Okajima. And the Sox will pick-up the perpetual option they have with Wakefield.

Hopefully they can sell Crisp and Lugo off for maybe some nice lawn furniture or whatever.

They are getting out from under the Manny contract, and hopefully will relieve themsleves of both Coco and Lugo. that leads 6 roster spots open...

I think that we can all safely assume that Jed Lowrie has won the starting shortstop job, and that Buchholtz or Bowden or both will be in the rotation next year.

2009 Lineup

Ellsbury CF
Pedroria 2B
Papi DH
Youk 1B
Drew RF
Lowell 3B
Bay LF
Varitek C
Lowrie SS

Starting Pitchers
Beckett
Dice-K
Wake
Lester
Buchhotz/Bowden

I see no reason to get another starter, CC Sabathia would be great, and it would keep him away from the yankees, but I dunno how he is going to do in either enviroment.

Relief Pitchers
Papelbon
Okajima
Delcarmen
Masterson

Guess who is going to be a free agent next year? Derek Lowe, he would be a great signing if they could convince him to go back to the bullpen (imagine him in the 8th), I wouldn't mind seeing him in the rotation either.

I wish their was some sort of right handed power hitter out there, but their really isn't (unless you count that Manny guy).

Still in all, you have to hand it to Theo, he has bult this club for the long haul, and mostly form the farm.

I was just thinking about the changes I would make if I wore the Gorilla suit..

Players under contract/exclusive rights

Player Position Signed through
J.D. Drew RF 2011
Papi DH 2010
Mike Lowell 3B 2010
Jason Bay LF 2009
Youk 1B Arbitration eligible
Pedroria 2B Rookie contract
Ellsbury CF Rookie contract
Lowrie SS Rookie Contract
Josh Becket SP 2010
Dice-K SP 2012
Wake SP 2009
Lester SP rookie contract
Buchholz SP rookie contract
Bowden Sp rookie contract
Okajima RP 2009
Papelbon RP Arbitration Eligible
Delcarmen RP rookie contract
Masterson RP Rookie contract

Players they need to unload..
Julio Lugo SS 2010
CoCo Crisp CF 2009

I think that they will re-sign Varitek, they will pick -up the very inexpensive club option they have for Okajima. And the Sox will pick-up the perpetual option they have with Wakefield.

Hopefully they can sell Crisp and Lugo off for maybe some nice lawn furniture or whatever.

They are getting out from under the Manny contract, and hopefully will relieve themsleves of both Coco and Lugo. that leads 6 roster spots open...

I think that we can all safely assume that Jed Lowrie has won the starting shortstop job, and that Buchholtz or Bowden or both will be in the rotation next year.

2009 Lineup

Ellsbury CF
Pedroria 2B
Papi DH
Youk 1B
Drew RF
Lowell 3B
Bay LF
Varitek C
Lowrie SS

Starting Pitchers
Beckett
Dice-K
Wake
Lester
Buchhotz/Bowden

I see no reason to get another starter, CC Sabathia would be great, and it would keep him away from the yankees, but I dunno how he is going to do in either enviroment.

Relief Pitchers
Papelbon
Okajima
Delcarmen
Masterson

Guess who is going to be a free agent next year? Derek Lowe, he would be a great signing if they could convince him to go back to the bullpen (imagine him in the 8th), I wouldn't mind seeing him in the rotation either.

I wish their was some sort of right handed power hitter out there, but their really isn't (unless you count that Manny guy).

Still in all, you have to hand it to Theo, he has bult this club for the long haul, and mostly form the farm.
i think they go in another direction with bucholz. i think he gets traded for a bat after the sox sign one of the free agent pitchers on the markett. i also think they try and upgrade the bull pen. delcarmen is a crap shoot every time he toes the mound. the sox have all kinds of flexability.

Last edited:

hold it right there.... I think your asking a little too much for these hacks

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back