PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2008 Defense

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps this will help us focus on draft needs better. While the offense is all set, half the defensive roster spots are open or filled by questionable talents.

Out of the 16 roster spots at LB and DB, there are 7 filled and 9 open. Even at that Andrews isn't exactly a lock.

While I have no objection to drafting a LB or two, I think that free agents will fill at least 2 of the LB spots in 2007 and into 2008. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft four defensive backs, with two on Day One.

MARCH 12, 2008
53 MAN ROSTER

As always, I have considered RFA’s and ERFA’s to be signed players. They rarely move teams. I have included the expected Samuel new contract and the retirement of Harrison after this year.

DEFENSE (25)
DE - 5 Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright, Hill/fa
DT - 2 Wilfork, Smith
LB - 8 Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas, OPEN, Woods/fa, Alexander/fa, Mays/fa, OPEN
CB - 5 Samuel, Hobbs, OPEN, OPEN, Andrews
S - 5 Sanders, OPEN, OPEN, OPEN, OPEN

Perhaps this will help us focus on draft needs better. While the offense is all set, half the defensive roster spots are open or filled by questionable talents.

Out of the 16 roster spots at LB and DB, there are 7 filled and 9 open. Even at that Andrews isn't exactly a lock.

While I have no objection to drafting a LB or two, I think that free agents will fill at least 2 of the LB spots in 2007 and into 2008. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft four defensive backs, with two on Day One.

MARCH 12, 2008
53 MAN ROSTER

As always, I have considered RFA’s and ERFA’s to be signed players. They rarely move teams. I have included the expected Samuel new contract and the retirement of Harrison after this year.

DEFENSE (25)
DE - 5 Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright, Hill/fa
DT - 2 Wilfork, Smith
LB - 8 Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas, OPEN, Woods/fa, Alexander/fa, Mays/fa, OPEN
CB - 5 Samuel, Hobbs, OPEN, OPEN, Andrews
S - 5 Sanders, OPEN, OPEN, OPEN, OPEN

You're already in 2008? How did we do in 2007? I must have overslept. :singing:

I think looking at 2008 is the best way to prepare for the draft. The patriots do not draft primarily for the current year, although we do hope for contributions from first rounders and on Special Teams.

I think looking at 2008 is the best way to prepare for the draft. The patriots do not draft primarily for the current year, although we do hope for contributions from first rounders and on Special Teams.

I understand. No harm meant.

what about Bruschi?

Bruschi is a free agent after this year, and is expected to retire. He considered retiring this year, but has decided to play.

what about Bruschi?

Bruschi is a free agent after this year, and is expected to retire. He considered retiring this year, but has decided to play.

I apologize. I figured you meant "2007" but you obviously meant what you wrote.

Thought Andrews was a S?
Don't expect Hill to be on the roster in '08. Surprised if he makes it thru TC this year.
Wilson?

Last edited:

:rofl: i dont know why so many ppl are havin trouble with this bud

as bb once said the single biggest improvement for a player is yr 1 to yr 2

anyway, thanks for the breakdowns
this def shows everyone we need to bring in some safeties, and a couple linebackers soon

I consider the four starting secondary players to be Sanders & Wilson at S, and Samuels & Hobbs at corner. The swing guy at both S and CB is Gay.

They are ALL in their mid twenties. ALL have started for a winning club. Four have started on a winning Super Bowl club.

While only two have received porobowl mention so far, all four might go at least once in their careers, IMHO.

In the provincial vernacular:

Was da Problem ??:confused: :D

Last edited:
No doubt the Pats go Defense Heavy in the 2007 draft unless they plan to use the free agency check book on the defense like they did in for the offense. Last year the went with a lot of offense, draft wise. I expect that to change.

Now I hate to say that because I think a team needs to draft talent first and not just take players because they fit a need. I vaguely remember a ton of TEs being picked in Bill's first year. Some kid named Love and a bunch of other guys. Anyways, that draft sucked and I hope never to see one of those drafts.

I don't expect Bruschi or Harrison to retire after 2007, although it's possible.

I've been assuming Wright will be gone, but good point re RFAs. A Gay-like tender should be enough to keep him another year.

Thought Andrews was a S?
Don't expect Hill to be on the roster in '08. Surprised if he makes it thru TC this year.
Wilson?

Andrews is a marginal special teams player IMO.

If he was even marginally a safety would Rashad Baker have been playing important minutes in the AFC championship?

I would be willing to bet not all the free agent LB will be around in 2008.

I would bet Woods only, maybe one of the others, but not all three.

I consider the four starting secondary players to be Sanders & Wilson at S, and Samuels & Hobbs at corner. The swing guy at both S and CB is Gay.

They are ALL in their mid twenties. ALL have started for a winning club. Four have started on a winning Super Bowl club.

While only two have received porobowl mention so far, all four might go at least once in their careers, IMHO.

There you are. I'm still waiting for the 8 safeties and 5 cornerbacks we have available.

You've said it twice in response to my posts and never said who they are.

The only thing I do not understand is the role of Mays, Woods and Alexander.. are they ST players or can they be legitimate starters or back ups.. none of them received sufficient playing time last year to determine. While I hope one or more is a true sleeper, really too early to tell that much. Maybe this year will get a better reading on them. But I think Safety and LB are our areas of need right now.

Dude, there's no reason for name calling on this board! :D

Every year there is a turnover rate of @ 12-14 players. So, by 2008 we are looking at 28 new players. That is mind boggling to comprehend, but what will happen.

And, the beat goes on, and on, and on...........

The problem is that Samuel, Gay and Wilson have contracts which end in 2007. I have presumed that ONE, Snauel, willl have an extensyeed contract. I have NOT assumed that Wilson and Gay, who have both been injured often, will be back for 2008.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back