PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 1st Annual Prediction game! Bold Prediction; Surprise Cut; Binkie Watch and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everybody, Football is back and it feels amazing

Every year we try to predict what will happen in the next five months: Who will surprise us, who will disappoint us, so on and on.

Well, this year I decided to actually keep track of your predictions! Did you really say that Dobson would catch 30 TDs in one year? Did you called Foster being awesome? Now there is data to back up your bragging!

I'll start. You don't really need to say all categories and you can add more if you think of one that is deserving

Bold Predictions:
- DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard will have at least 12 sacks this season. I think he will be amazing this season and we won't miss Chandler Jones at all
- WR Aaron Dobson will have more than 800 yards this season. He will breakout this year. His best game will come during Jimmy G.'s first 4 games.

Surprise Cut:
- RB LeGarrette Blount. I think his lethargy last season was not due to his inuries. Brown will surpass him in the Depth Chart.

Most Improved Player:
- WR Aaron Dobson - Like I said in my bold prediction. I think he can be the #2 WR in the team this year.

Biggest Disapointment:
- DE Chris Long - He is too old and will not produce as much as hoped. less than 5 sacks
- CB Darryl Roberts - He is only in his 2nd season, some here have high hopes on him. I think he won't be a good player, but will be on the roster.

"Binkie Watch"
- DT Markus Khun - Will be part of the TOP 3 DTS of the depth chart and have at least 3 sacks and 2 FFs
- CB E. J. Biggers - Will win a spot in the roster and gives some solid contribution this year.
- DE Trey Flower - Will surpass Chris long as the 3rd DE on the team

Let me know if you like this idea!

Goodell gets hit by a train
That would be crazy because he's carted around by eunuchs and Egyptian slaves or by helicopter. Maybe he could fall through a manhole and get hit by a subway train but unless the train is named, the Joker's Express, Dobson being the #2 receiver has a better chance of happening.

I had high hopes for Darryl Roberts. Has he looked awful in training camp?

I think this is a great idea… Interesting to see what people are thinking, and also have some accountability when anyone says, "knew that blah blah blah.."

Have to give it some thought...

I don't know that saying Sheard will have 12 sacks is so bold, though. He had eight last year and would certainly be expected to have a few more this year, right?

Now Dobson? That's bold.

Last edited:
Responding to OP:
  • I agree that Sheard will be really good. 8-12 sacks, in my opinion. Let's not forget that Olivier Vernon only had 7.5 last year and still got insane money. Sacks aren't the only measure for DEs.
  • Dobson seems to be standing out, but we'll see how the preseason goes. Anyone know what the depth chart at WR appears to have been so far?
  • I think Blount still has his spot for now, but that's mostly due to a lack of better options. Brown might end up something, or he could be one of the many veterans who plays with the 1s in TC and get cut in August.
  • Agree that Chris Long will probably not be that great. I see him as a situational player who will disappoint if considered a starter. Used to think he would probably be cut but not sure now.
  • I loved Roberts last preseason but now I haven't heard much about him and there's probably better options. Maybe he'll remind us of last year in a few weeks.
  • Kuhn will be the Freeny of 2016. Not very good but somehow getting snaps over players you think are better (Mayo 2015, Branch/Knighton 2016).
  • What have the reports on Biggers been?
  • I've always loved Trey Flowers, he looked like one of the best players on the field last preseason. I think Rufus Johnson will be decent as well. Unfortunately, I could just as easily see one or both of them being cut or getting no playing time.
-

Looking at this roster and the early reports out of camp, there's no doubt that there are going to be some very difficult and most likely surprising cuts this season.

I have a sense that Chris Hogan is going to play a huge role in the success of the upcoming season and will become a definite fan favorite. With his work ethic and the perseverance he's shown, he just seems like a Patriot.

I haven't heard much about Cyrus Jones, but I feel like he's going to make a major contribution as both a CB and kick returner. A few less hits on Edelman and Amendola on punt returns won't hurt the team either.

I'm also interested to see the development of young players like Malcolm Brown, Rufus Johnson, Trey Flowers and Geneo Grissom. Brown was solid last year and the other three showed flashes especially in the preseason.

I think this is a great idea… Interesting to see what people are thinking, and also have some accountability when anyone says, "knew that blah blah blah.."

Have to give it some thought...

I don't know that saying Sheard will have 12 sacks is so bold, though. He had eight last year and would certainly be expected to have a few more this year, right?

Now Dobson? That's bold.
You basically said everything I was going to say, especially Sheard and Dobson. Dobson should have been his bold prediction and Sheard his improved player. I do agree with Blount on his list though. My list isn't completed yet, but I already had him penciled in as my "surprise" cut, quotations meaning it would not surprise me, but I know it would surprise most. I never believed he was a roster lock, no matter what the backfield looks like currently.

Okay, I'm ready to take a crack at this...with the caveat that I have learned not to assume anything with the Hoodie (*cough* Tommy Kelly).:D

BOLD PREDICTION: Dobson finally emerges. He's the new Laurence Maroney (and the like) in terms of the dichotomy he's created with us. Some feel exhausted with waiting for him to break out, while some are still defiantly hopeful. We'll see. But anyone saying he doesn't have something to show and prove...I don't know what to tell you.

SURPRISE CUT: LG Blount gets ousted. I'm not saying this will happen, nor am I saying it would necessarily be a surprise to me if it did. He's coming off an injury known to be of the lingering variety, and he really was not all that impressive before going down last season (OLine playing its part). Whether you think he's good or not or you argue it was the OLine, I think we all should be able to agree he has a lot to prove. He's hardly a lock, IMO.

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: I was really tempted to list LG here again, but I'll play fair. I'll go with Malcolm Brown. The young kid had his problems at the beginning of the season, but he came on stronger than I think any of us would have predicted. He became stout against the run and he showed down the stretch that he can also be a penetrator in the passing game as well, which effectively makes him a three-down player. In fact, I think it's why the team felt comfy letting Chris Jones walk (I liked him). His ceiling is so freakin' high.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: I don't see any one particular player really disappointing me. I'd say the biggest disappointment for me would be if the OLine looks anything like it did last season. I know Scar is highly regarded (and rightfully so), but even he can't be a miracle elixir to every single thing that plagued the line, including and especially, injuries. I do expect vast improvement, however, which is why it would disappoint me if it didn't happen.

Also, Cannon making the final roster would make me cry.

BINKY WATCH: Andrews...same as last season. Brother @aluminum seats calls for accountability and I'm going on record as saying, barring injury or epic regression, Andrews is our day 1 starter at C. I think he wins the job outright, despite Stork's draft status and SB experience.

HONORABLE MENTION: Though the OP didn't ask for one, I'll add it anyway.:D D. Roberts is also a binky of mine. He was playing so well before that wrist injury last TC and preseason and I was so disappointed when he hit IR. I've heard that he's looked decent so far, nothing spectacular or unspectacular. Steady. That's a good thing for a young player.

Okay, I'm ready to take a crack at this...with the caveat that I have learned not to assume anything with the Hoodie (*cough* Tommy Kelly).:D

BOLD PREDICTION: Dobson finally emerges. He's the new Laurence Maroney (and the like) in terms of the dichotomy he's created with us. Some feel exhausted with waiting for him to break out, while some are still defiantly hopeful. We'll see. But anyone saying he doesn't have something to show and prove...I don't know what to tell you.

SURPRISE CUT: LG Blount gets ousted. I'm not saying this will happen, nor am I saying it would necessarily be a surprise to me if it did. He's coming off an injury known to be of the lingering variety, and he really was not all that impressive before going down last season (OLine playing its part). Whether you think he's good or not or you argue it was the OLine, I think we all should be able to agree he has a lot to prove. He's hardly a lock, IMO.

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: I was really tempted to list LG here again, but I'll play fair. I'll go with Malcolm Brown. The young kid had his problems at the beginning of the season, but he came on stronger than I think any of us would have predicted. He became stout against the run and he showed down the stretch that he can also be a penetrator in the passing game as well, which effectively makes him a three-down player. In fact, I think it's why the team felt comfy letting Chris Jones walk (I liked him). His ceiling is so freakin' high.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: I don't see any one particular player really disappointing me. I'd say the biggest disappointment for me would be if the OLine looks anything like it did last season. I know Scar is highly regarded (and rightfully so), but even he can't be a miracle elixir to every single thing that plagued the line, including and especially, injuries. I do expect vast improvement, however, which is why it would disappoint me if it didn't happen.

Also, Cannon making the final roster would make me cry.

BINKY WATCH: Andrews...same as last season. Brother @aluminum seats calls for accountability and I'm going on record as saying, barring injury or epic regression, Andrews is our day 1 starter at C. I think he wins the job outright, despite Stork's draft status and SB experience.

HONORABLE MENTION: Though the OP didn't ask for one, I'll add it anyway.:D D. Roberts is also a binky of mine. He was playing so well before that wrist injury last TC and preseason and I was so disappointed when he hit IR. I've heard that he's looked decent so far, nothing spectacular or unspectacular. Steady. That's a good thing for a young player.

I'm assuming that you'd rather see Stork play at one of the guard spots, then? Surely you aren't suggesting an outright cut, are you? For the record, I thought that Andrews filled in nicely during his absence, but I'm not quite as sure that he's shown enough to overtake Stork's role. Either way, it should be an excellent competition and I agree with you that Andrews certainly has a shot at being our day one center.

I'm assuming that you'd rather see Stork play at one of the guard spots, then? Surely you aren't suggesting an outright cut, are you? For the record, I thought that Andrews filled in nicely during his absence, but I'm not quite as sure that he's shown enough to overtake Stork's role. Either way, it should be an excellent competition and I agree with you that Andrews certainly has a shot at being our day one center.
Hey, Supa. I don't know what I said to lead you to believe I want Stork cut or moved necessarily, but no. I don't want to see Stork go anywhere, nor do I think a permanent move to G is the answer either. We won a SB with him as a C, so he obviously has game. But I do believe Andrews has played better more recently than Stork and, as such, it should be his job to lose. I guess that's where you and I disagree? Andrews was playing well last season and I feel they pulled him prematurely just because Stork was ready to go, though he was having a rough night when they did. Word is that Brady also seems to really like him as well, though I don't think it's an indictment on Stork.

It would be hard to really quantify who is better. But based on the eye test, I saw a player in Andrews that played very well and better than the incumbent, even if only slightly. Stork didn't exactly play lights out when he replaced Andrews (though the line as a unit was struggling). Furthermore, Stork needs to find a way to actually stay on the field as well. Whether it's a leg, a knee, a concussion, he's missed a lot of time. Talent aside, that may actually be the reason he loses the job more than anything. Talent means little to nothing if the team cannot utilize it or utilize it consistently. I'll end by saying having two C's with starter potential is a good problem to have. Last year proved that you can never have enough healthy linemen...except Cannon. Get that guy off this team for Brady's sake. Lol

Friendly debate, my friend, but what do you see in Stork that makes you think he's that much better than Andrews? I'm very interested in your viewpoint.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add this...

Last edited:
Hey, Supa. I don't know what I said to lead you to believe I want Stork cut or moved necessarily, but no. I don't want to see Stork go anywhere, nor do I think a permanent move to G is the answer either. We won a SB with him as a C, so he obviously has game. But I do believe Andrews has played better more recently than Stork and, as such, it should be his job to lose. I guess that's where you and I disagree? Andrews was playing well last season and I feel they pulled him prematurely just because Stork was ready to go, though he was having a rough night when they did. Word is that Brady also seems to really like him as well, though I don't think it's an indictment on Stork.

It would be hard to really quantify who is better. But based on the eye test, I saw a player in Andrews that played very well and better than the incumbent, even if only slightly. Stork didn't exactly play lights out when he replaced Andrews (though the line as a unit was struggling). Furthermore, Stork needs to find a way to actually stay on the field as well. Whether it's a leg, a knee, a concussion, he's missed a lot of time. Talent aside, that may actually be the reason he loses the job more than anything. Talent means little to nothing if the team cannot utilize it or utilize it consistently. I'll end by saying having two C's with starter potential is a good problem to have. Last year proved that you can never have enough healthy linemen...except Cannon. Get that guy off this team for Brady's sake. Lol

Friendly debate, my friend, but what do you see in Stork that makes you think he's that much better than Andrews? I'm very interested in your viewpoint.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add this...

I'm not meaning to suggest that Stork is leagues ahead of Andrews, talent-wise, but more so that I still think it's probably Stork's to lose.

As you noted, Stork's injuries could prove to be the deciding factor, although that leads back to my original question about whether or not you'd cut him. I suppose he'd simply be IR'ed, but then the next question would be if he made the 53 man roster or not, as I don't believe they'd risk losing him (just my opinion.)

I'm not meaning to suggest that Stork is leagues ahead of Andrews, talent-wise, but more so that I still think it's probably Stork's to lose.

As you noted, Stork's injuries could prove to be the deciding factor, although that leads back to my original question about whether or not you'd cut him. I suppose he'd simply be IR'ed, but then the next question would be if he made the 53 man roster or not, as I don't believe they'd risk losing him (just my opinion.)
I hear you, my friend. I don't really see a problem keeping both on the roster. I suppose it would be a redundancy, but again, look at how injuries decimated that unit last season. Redundancy would probably not hurt the team anymore than the injuries did (no pun intended). Ultimately, I don't really think we're entirely disagreeing with one another, so much as just pointing out different things about each player. And again, having two starting caliber C's is not a bad problem to have.

Last edited:
sick of hearing questions about tom brady, BB cuts tom brady,

BB then gets questions about why he cut tom brady.

sick of hearing questions about tom brady, BB cuts tom brady,

BB then gets questions about why he cut tom brady.
Don't make me come to your house and RKO you. I'm that sensitive about my Brady. Lol

I think one of the OL will take a hit with Scar coming back. I know Kline looked serviceable last year, but I could imagine, with the number of people who are able to play guard, he may be shipped to save some cash.

Halapio seems to be having a very good camp. Wouldn't it be nice if a sixth rounder we ditched in the first set of cuts two years (if my memory serves me right) gets a shot?

Bold Predictions

The Pats go 4-0 (after a close one vs AZ they win the next 3 fairly safely)
Thuney quickly turns into one of the best guards in the NFL
Chris Long has over 10 sacks

Surprise Cut

Alan Branch. Brown, Knighton and Valentine are locks. Kuhn comes on strong and takes his spot and though they would like to keep Branch they can't fit him in and the savings of 2M can be used elsewhere. Hopefully we can keep him on speed dial.

Most improved player(s)

Jordan Richards (we won't get to see the improvement much though)
Jimmy G (we will see it)
Geneo Grissom (we will see a lot of him i think. Especially as a pass rush DT)

Biggest Disappointment

Shaq Mason - After he flashed so well he doesn't take that big year 2 jump. He is still okay but only okay. I think he will need 1 more year.

Binkies

Foster - RB
J. Jones - CB
Bryce Williams - TE (I am starting to get excited about this guy)
Ted Karras - G (He will make the roster i think depending on health).

Also to get to know Bryce better

My quick thoughts on Bryce. Looks home running routes. His hands and hand eye and body control are all very good particularly for a guy his size. His speed and quickness makes him a hard match up for any defender. He is only "meh" at in line blocking and seems completely lost when asked to block in space down the field. This will be his biggest issue. Also lacks a bit of toughness i think.

Last edited:

Stuff like this might be why Stork is at risk of losing the job at center:

Bryan Stork Was Tipping The Snap - Inside The Pylon
The Denver Broncos formidable defense was even better than advertised against the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game. However, careful review of the film – and some help from Tom E. Curran – shows that they were receiving help from an unlikely source. Philip Kibbey explains how Bryan Stork was tipping the snap on nearly every down.
After reviewing the tape, center Bryan Stork stood out. Not for his blocking struggles, but because on nearly every snap Stork was tipping the snap by bobbing his head. Stork’s head bobbing snaps happened with Brady lined up under center and in the shotgun. Stork tipping the snap allowed the Broncos rushers to get perfect jumps, another advantage over their out-matched opponents.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
my prediction?

puOkEg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill