PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 12th man has been pathetic this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroneysgrill

On the Roster
Reaction score
With 3 home games in a row and hopefully a couple in the playoffs, it would be cool to see the fans fortunate enough to attend the games to make some DAMN NOISE! Baltimore is 4-8 and their fans went crazy and had an effect on the Patriots' audible, same with Buffalo (at the beginning at least) a few weeks ago. It is pathetic how quiet and unenthusiastic the New England fans are. MAKE SOME NOISE!

With 3 home games in a row and hopefully a couple in the playoffs, it would be cool to see the fans fortunate enough to attend the games to make some DAMN NOISE! Baltimore is 4-8 and their fans went crazy and had an effect on the Patriots' audible, same with Buffalo (at the beginning at least) a few weeks ago. It is pathetic how quiet and unenthusiastic the New England fans are. MAKE SOME NOISE!

Have you been to Gillette? It's design is noted for being inconducive to deafening crowd volumes. That said, every game I've been to, I've been hoarse the next day from yelling and cheering. Quiet is the exception, not the norm by any stretch.

I'm tired of this "Gillette is not conducive to noise" excuse. I agree that the design is not optimum - it's well documented and doesn't need to be continually stated. In other words, no argument here. But it's a cop out. History has shown that the crowd CAN be a major 12th man when it wants to be. Game 2 against the Chargers this year is the perfect example. So I think the first poster has it right. There are plenty of fans at the games who are into it and hoarse (thank you poster #2!) at the end of the game, but there are unfortunately too many others sipping martinis in the club areas and not participating in the event outside. Let's hope that changes for the rest of the season.

Ooooh! Bulletin board material - AIMED AT THE FANS!

Too bad we don't have a bulletin board. If only there were some Internet equivilent of a bulletin board we could post that on to rile fans up and get them making noise....

That would be cool!

That stadium got awfully loud in week two after all the crap broke in the news. So lets avoid the pathetic "stadium design" excuse! I went to one game there last year vs the Broncos. I got dirty looks for screaming when the Donks had the ball, while everyone around us sat on their ass!

I have been to Cleveland, Buffalo, NE, Jacksonville, Washington, Cincy and Baltimore. By far Gillette was the quietest - not to mention the Cleveland, Buffalo and Baltimore games were in December when those teams had no shot at the playoffs and their crowds were louder.

Last edited:
Just watching the Philly game on TV I can understand what you are saying. It seemed to get quite in there even as early as the 2nd quarter.

It took me a second to realize you weren't referring to me because I have been cheering very loud all year and the team can hear me all the way from Washington State. :D

That is what happens when you win a lot and have a pinup boy quarterback. A new breed of fan comes in that knows nothing about football and not much about the Patriots and are only there because it is a scene. Plus we are spoiled. The crowd for Philadelphia was shocked that it was a close game. We need some of the Schaefer Stadium, Monday night madness back. I hate this family friendly crap.

Last edited:
There have been times when it has been extremely loud there. Philly was horrible though. I plan on being loud (as usual). Even my GF yells and swears!I gotta remember to go to the sign shop and get a sign made with the RATS logo for next weekend. Gotta do some searching, someone here has it as a sig pic.

I think the crowd is going to go ballistic with the playoffs approaching.If the Razor can be exactly how it was in week 2 it can be a nightmare for visiting teams.

Anyone who has read my posts knows how I feel about this issue. It is definitely not the stadium at fault. Ok so it is not a dome and it is not Qwest, but it is really no different than any of the new outdoor stadiums. I have heard it be deafeningly and disruptively loud many many times. I think at its loudest when the fans are into it can be among the loudest new outdoor stadiums in the league because the seats are steep and are right on top of the field and all seats are pointed at mid field. Unfortunately the spoiled, wine and cheesers win out at least 4 games a year and the advantage sucks. But I honestly think this week we will have a great advantage because of the opposition.

i expect the crowd to be okay this sunday and a dud the next two games and hopefully good in the playoffs.

i expect the crowd to be okay this sunday and a dud the next two games and hopefully good in the playoffs.

I’d be dammned dissapointed if the crowd is a dud for the Jets game!

Don't see that happening. :D

well then

GFY to those that discredit acoustics as valid reasoning

and to those that measure crowd noise by video production...another hardy GFY for basing your opinion on inconsistent data...

good day to you

:singing:

Too much wine and cheese, not enough beer and hot dogs.

Last edited:
Fungi do you actually have any training at all in the physics of sound or are you just completely full of crap? I mean can you actually say based on your superior understanding of acoustics that Gillette Stadium is poor at holding in sound for reasons X,Y and Z and that the design of Gillette Stadium has a PROFOUND impact on crowd noise, or are you just regurgitating crap you picked up from somewhere else.

Honestly I would like to know because you write like your an expert on acoustics. I can honestly say that I have absolutelty no idea about whether Gillette Stadium is as bad as you say it is.
What i do know is that things in reality are always more complicated than they seem and simply because the stadium has one open end doesnt neceesarily mean it is bad for acoustics. I mean there could be 50 other things that factor into the equation and that open end could be the least important. I dont know I am not an expert at all.

But what I do definitely know is that the crowd needs to step it uP!

We can have 1000 threads (I think this is #846 or so) and it won't mean much. As someone once posted, the majority of people on this board probably represent the loudest people in the stadium. You need to hack into a Fortune 500 messageboard and get those people to get off their asses and cheer.

Last edited:
I dont know I am not an expert at all.

That pretty much sums it up. Once again, in case you didn't catch it in the last thread on this topic:

GILLETTE STADIUM DOES NOT CONTAIN CROWD NOISE LIKE OTHER STADIUMS. I've attended every single Patriots home game played at Gillette and as stated earlier, have been to games in the Meadowlands, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Houston, Jacksonville, and Baltimore. All of those stadiums are enclosed bowls (except for Pittsburgh), and ALL of them have MUCH CLOSER proximity of seating-to-field than Gillette.

Gillette's design has five very distinct disadvantages:

(1). The upper deck is vaulted high above the field, spread out and separated from the rest of the stadium by double-tired luxury boxes. It also does not cover the end zones.

(2). The stadium floor is laid out for international-regulation soccer, NOT football, creating extra space between the sidelines and end zones, and the stands.

(3). Corporate club seating was very poorly conceived being concentrated on the mid-level sidelines. This represents thousands of prime seats that rarely are filled with rabid fans, especially in bad weather.

(4). The north end zone is open-ended to accommodate the "picturesque" lighthouse/bridge design.

(5). The open concourse view around the stadium's perimeter and the four "skylight" sections separating club seats from the mezzanine sections allow further evaporation of sound.

Bottom line: Gillette is a multi-purpose stadium with MAJOR design flaws the Krafts did not consider in terms of optimizing the football experience. They got what they wanted -- a pretty building that caters to high rollers.

That pretty much sums it up. Once again, in case you didn't catch it in the last thread on this topic:

GILLETTE STADIUM DOES NOT CONTAIN CROWD NOISE LIKE OTHER STADIUMS. I've attended every single Patriots home game played at Gillette and as stated earlier, have been to games in the Meadowlands, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Houston, Jacksonville, and Baltimore. All of those stadiums are enclosed bowls (except for Pittsburgh), and ALL of them have MUCH CLOSER proximity of seating-to-field than Gillette.

There is some truth to this, I really believe the design plays a part in the lack of crowd noise at times.

That said, Gillette stadium can get very loud - and it will be very loud on Sunday. The '04 divisional playoff against the Colts, the 2005 game against Tampa (after Seymour called out the crowd), and the San Diego game this year were three games where Gillette was rocking. I yell my head off every play/every game - some people don't. But this is such a big game that I really believe it will be as loud as the Chargers game.

I also have been to games at several other stadiums (Meadowlands, Georgia Dome, Qwest field, Superdome, Miami) and with the exception of Qwest field (insane fans - great stadium design conducive to noise) Gillette can be every bit as loud.

Fungi do you actually have any training at all in the physics of sound or are you just completely full of crap? I mean can you actually say based on your superior understanding of acoustics that Gillette Stadium is poor at holding in sound for reasons X,Y and Z and that the design of Gillette Stadium has a PROFOUND impact on crowd noise, or are you just regurgitating crap you picked up from somewhere else.

Honestly I would like to know because you write like your an expert on acoustics. I can honestly say that I have absolutelty no idea about whether Gillette Stadium is as bad as you say it is.
What i do know is that things in reality are always more complicated than they seem and simply because the stadium has one open end doesnt neceesarily mean it is bad for acoustics. I mean there could be 50 other things that factor into the equation and that open end could be the least important. I dont know I am not an expert at all.

But what I do definitely know is that the crowd needs to step it uP!

I find this humorous. One person makes a statement that the stadium isn't loud enough and then a handful of posters come running to agree. Then the blame starts coming. Its the caviar crowd. Its the bandwagon fans. Its the people that don't know what its like to make noise.

By disagreeing, of course I have to be the expert and yield statistics or references, otherwise my opinion is invalid compared to the preponderance of fact that has been provided contrary to my views.

But instead of going on a chase to support my views, I'm going to use the same standards that you use. I have been to concerts, football and soccer games (Tea Men, not Revs) at the old Foxboro Stadium. I have been to the old Kingdome in Seattle. I have been to the old Mile High in Denver. I have been to Arrowhead. I have also been to Gillette. Gillette is a MUCH larger venue compared to the aforementioned stadiums. It is MUCH more wide open on the inside comparatively. I am not going to go looking for blueprints, but I would suspect that Gillette's footprint is substantially greater than most parks, and the foundation is much more solid. You don't have the ability to slam your chairs down or to stomp on metal bleachers. The sound does not reverberate into an area that is nearly as enclosed as many stadiums. Gillette was built for comfort and access, NOT explicitly for generating or amplifying crown noise.

You want to disagree with me? Go ahead. But you're kidding yourself if you think I need engineering documentation to support my perceptions.

The other point that I reference is that the television production is a piss-poor way to analyze the crowd noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back