PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The #1 ranked team in the NFL vs. AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatSunday

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We heard about the Patriots and Broncos all season long, but the NFC has picked up steam in Power Rankings over the last weeks. So, let's take a look!

The Packers became the undisputed #1 ranked team in the NFL two weeks ago by beating an AFC East opponent by one score. Minutes ago, they are now #6 in the playoff race after playing another AFC East opponent, this time a loss by one score.

In fact, all games were within a TD or field goal against the AFC East. Their margin of scoring victory against the AFC East is -5 on the road, +6 at home, a swing of 11 points.

at Bills, loss, (8)

at Fins, win, 3

vs Pats, win, 5

vs Jets, win, 7

That's an advantage of ZERO points against the 3 playoff-calibre teams in the AFC East.

What about the Lions, who took over home-field advantage from Green Bay today?

at Pats, loss (25)

vs Bills, loss (3)

vs Fins, win, 4

at Jets, win, 7

They really make the Packers look good. Ignoring the Jets again, the Lions have an advantage in scoring margin of *negative* 24 against a random pick of the 3 playoff-calibre teams.

Worse than this news? That's if you include the Jets, the worst team in the NFL by many standards, because the scoring margin doesn't change much since the Jets, the worst performer in the analysis, only lost by a touchdown to both of these NFL leaders.

In conclusion, we know that three AFC East teams have playoff hopes. On the other hand, the biggest accomplishment for two NFC teams who played 8 games against the AFC East and fighting to clinch "home field advantage", was beating the Jets by 7 points each.

I think thats partially a testament to how flawed most teams are in the NFL this year. Almost every roster has glaring holes in it, including GB. I personally think we are the best team in the NFL, but we are very far from the talent of say the 07 squad and there isn't the equivalent of Seattle or San Francisco from last year out there really.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if GB took a loss early in the playoffs, or for that matter a team like Denver.

Im pretty sure the Eagles were #3 a few weeks ago too

packers played us like it was the SB and it showed. They blew their load against the Patriots and proved they are overrated today.

I had a sneaky suspicion that the Bills could beat the Packers although I had that same feeling about the Dolphins and Jets. Dolphins almost did.

At this level where everyone is a tremendous athlete this game is 90% mental. The Bills Packers game today and the difference in the Patriots between the first and second halves just reaffirmed that.

Nearly everyone I read predicted the Bills would win. Hell, even Bill Simmons took the points!

I personally think we are the best team in the NFL, but we are very far from the talent of say the 07 squad

You think that, other than receivers, that team had more talent?

We heard about the Patriots and Broncos all season long, but the NFC has picked up steam in Power Rankings over the last weeks. So, let's take a look!

The Packers became the undisputed #1 ranked team in the NFL two weeks ago by beating an AFC East opponent by one score. Minutes ago, they are now #6 in the playoff race after playing another AFC East opponent, this time a loss by one score.

In fact, all games were within a TD or field goal against the AFC East. Their margin of scoring victory against the AFC East is -5 on the road, +6 at home, a swing of 11 points.

at Bills, loss, (8)

at Fins, win, 3

vs Pats, win, 5

vs Jets, win, 7

That's an advantage of ZERO points against the 3 playoff-calibre teams in the AFC East.

at Pats, loss (25)

vs Bills, loss (3)

vs Fins, win, 4

at Jets, win, 7

They really make the Packers look good. Ignoring the Jets again, the Lions have an advantage in scoring margin of *negative* 24 against a random pick of the 3 playoff-calibre teams.

Worse than this news? That's if you include the Jets, the worst team in the NFL by many standards, because the scoring margin doesn't change much since the Jets, the worst performer in the analysis, only lost by a touchdown to both of these NFL leaders.

In conclusion, we know that three AFC East teams have playoff hopes. On the other hand, the biggest accomplishment for two NFC teams who played 8 games against the AFC East and fighting to clinch "home field advantage", was beating the Jets by 7 points each.

But....but....but......notable football expert Shank Shaughnessy calls it the "Warhol Division" and that aside from the Patriots it is populated by "tomato cans".

packers played us like it was the SB and it showed. They blew their load against the Patriots and proved they are overrated today.

I would not say that. Most teams play much better at home than on the road. If the Pack had home field advantage throughout the playoffs, they might have had a chance to beat the Seahawks. Without that, I don't think they have a shot.

With that said, Arizona still impresses me. They have absolutely no offense. No run game. No pass game. If they only had a QB, I think they could go all the way.

at Bills, loss, (8)

at Fins, win, 3

vs Pats, win, 5

vs Jets, win, 7

at Pats, loss (25)

vs Bills, loss (3)

vs Fins, win, 4

at Jets, win, 7

I don't get the derision?
The Pack and Lions are a combined 5-3 vs AFC East.....and this is to be ridiculed? This elevates the "awesome AFC East narrative?"
Cumulative score aggregation has become the latest greatest tool for assessment? Ahead of W vs L ??
And if you look at "playoff hopes," the two teams that went 5-3 vs the AFC are in the playoffs as of today vs the 3 bottom dwelling AFC teams that need lots of help to get a sniff.
Is this exercise in deflection more about justifying NE's loss at Green Bay?
As one poster wrote in this thread, every team in the NFL this year has a big hole somewhere....and certain teams match up better than others. The reality for most teams is they build their roster to defeat their divisional opponents first and foremost. For the elite few, they build with an eye out on the horizon a little farther...like NE...who rebuilt their secondary not to defeat the Bills ot Jets or the Fins...but to beat Denver and also to matchup against the NFL's elite WRs that happened to be on the schedule this year.
Getting campy about "only a 3 point win" is sophomoric

Last edited:
people get too wrapped up in this kind of thing......

the packers are pretty horrendous on the road........winning in Tampa is not a given

people get too wrapped up in this kind of thing......

the packers are pretty horrendous on the road........winning in Tampa is not a given
Horrendous?......or just like every other good team in the NFL?
Three teams are 11-3 in the NFL...including NE. All three teams are perfect at home/3 losses on the road.
The two NFC North leaders are a combined 20-8 overall...with 7 of the 8 losses on the road.

Record comparisons are meaningless when teams play totally different schedules.

"That baaaaaaaaadddddd man...." is not so baaaadddd away from home.

Packers were never the best team in the NFL. People like to look at scoreboards, Packers run up the score against the Bears, but everyone forgets he got smoked by Seattle in week 1. Then can't do anything against a very strong Buffalo Defense.

Rodgers against a legit top 5 defense is ineffective, and the Packers defense is below average at best.

Right now, nobody is playing better than the Pats or Seahawks, and Seattle may have a cakewalk into the Super Bowl if they get home field advantage (could be playing Carolina at home in the Divisional round of the playoffs).

NFL money as of last night’s definitive games is now on a Seahawks vs Patriots (+350 and +250 respectively at TopBet.eu) Super Bowl. If that happens, Seattle will be on a mission to be the first to be repeat champs since New England’s run. They are the only ones out of the NFC I’m even remotely worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back