PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The #1 CB and #1 returner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How high would you draft the #1 CB and #1 returner?

Gosselin rate the McKelvin as the top returner in the draft (he is both a kick returner and a punt returner). He also rates him as the #1 corner.

Does the combination make him worth being picked by the patriots at #7 or #8 or #9 or #10?

Gosselin rate the McKelvin as the top returner in the draft (he is both a kick returner and a punt returner). He also rates him as the #1 corner.

Does the combination make him worth being picked by the patriots at #7 or #8 or #9 or #10?
Honestly, I don't want my #1 corner getting smacked down on special teams. Bad enough having Ellis Hobbs at #2 CB back there.

I think he is worth it between pick 10 and 16. I am weighing the CB talent more heavily than the return talent mind you, but McKelvin being a dangerous returner certainly helps. Look how Devin Hester ignites the Bears offense, heck sometimes he is the Bear's only offense! Consider how electric Deion Sanders was as a double threat CB/Returner. Also consider how in the past the Pats beat a heavily favored Steelers team in the playoffs on the strength of special teams play - TROY BROWN! Imagine if the Pats had gotten a few electric returns in the Superbowl. That easily could have led to an extra touchdown scored and another championship ring. Anyways, it wouldn't kill me to see the Pats select a corner such as McKelvin, that's certainly a need.

IMO the top positions the Pats could address in round 1 - CB, OLB, OT. Any of those are fine with me. Then just scoop up the best remaining players you can to plug up the other holes in rounds 2-3. And yes, I know Ellis could be a possibility too. But I don't currently classify NT as a top need.

Last edited:
Antoine Cason is the best corner in the draft, IMO.

This is just one of the reviews I have read about him and there are many more just like this.

"Cason has the ability to be a true shutdown corner. Not only does he have the athleticism, quickness, and ball skills, but he has the attitude of a top tier corner. Cason will not back down from anyone, and loves be tested. He shows the ability to turn and run with receivers, and has the ability to locate the ball while it is in the air. Cason does not shy away from run stopping either. He is very active and quickly reads a run and aggressively pursues the ball carrier."

Last edited:
Kevin Robinson is hands down the best returner in the draft. He led D1 in punt returns and finished 6th in kickoffs.

McKelvin finished 4th and 71st.

Demps finished 15th and 89th.

For various reasons, he's the #1 ranked CB. And because he returns both punts and kicks, he'll make an immediate impact as a rookie. And it's this immediate impact that increases his value. But let's separate that value:

As a CB, does he have the best ball skills? Does he play the position better, and project better for the Pats defense, than every other CB prospect? If yes, than he's a legitimate consideration for the Pats. If no, than move on to the next CB who best fits the Pats profile.

As a returner, how many from the CB and WR crop have this ability that the Pats could select in later rounds? Why get your returner at #7, 8, 9, or 10? Where's the VALUE there?

What makes the most sense for me, is to select the best CB for the Pats system early. One who's greatest asset is playing the position first -- not one who's best quality may be as a returner. Find your returner later on...

Honestly, I don't want my #1 corner getting smacked down on special teams. Bad enough having Ellis Hobbs at #2 CB back there.

Ah, but the luxury here is that unless he fumbles, he'll have the whole offensive series to rest up before needing to go back out and play defense. And with our offense, I suspect the majority of those drives will involve more than one first down.

Antoine Cason is the best corner in the draft, IMO.

This is just one of the reviews I have read about him and there are many more just like this.

"Cason has the ability to be a true shutdown corner. Not only does he have the athleticism, quickness, and ball skills, but he has the attitude of a top tier corner. Cason will not back down from anyone, and loves be tested. He shows the ability to turn and run with receivers, and has the ability to locate the ball while it is in the air. Cason does not shy away from run stopping either. He is very active and quickly reads a run and aggressively pursues the ball carrier."
He also scored 2 TD's on punt returns in 2007, so I think he's the better fit for NE, and has some ability as a returner.

As Dryheat mentioned, Mckelvin isn't the best returner in the draft. He had a very good punt return avg, but if my memory is correct, he only averaged 23 yards per KR, which is alright, but not outstanding, especially when you consider the teams he was playing against.

Also, I honestly think McKelvin has some potential at CB, and he could possibly fit into NE's defense with some development, but I don't think he's the best CB for them.

PS: You should have linked back to the source of that quote.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye