PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That's My Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked his early stuff like Big Daddy, Waterboy, Wedding Singer and Happy Gilmore. Grown ups was decent but otherwise his recent stuff has been pretty bad. This one looks like it actually might be funny although I'll wait until rental/cable.

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in this movie with or without Sexy Rexy. Sandler has been mailing in roles for years. He thinks if the can put on the same loudmouthed moron character movie after movie that people will just fork over money time after time (and unfortunately he is right since his movies do good box office).

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in this movie with or without Sexy Rexy. Sandler has been mailing in roles for years. He thinks if the can put on the same loudmouthed moron character movie after movie that people will just fork over money time after time (and unfortunately he is right since his movies do good box office).

When it comes to "name" actors and actresses, especially actors, personas carry movies to box office success. To use older, iconic, actors as a comparison instead of using one specific person who can be picked on, nobody really wanted to see John Wayne or Humphrey Bogart break down and cry like a little girl. They wanted to see John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart.

Audiences leave the "character actor" roles to the lesser billed, as a general rule.

The Three Stooges practically invented the slapstick genre; they were comedic innovators. Adam Sandler is a one-trick pony who narrowly channels low-brow "audacity" and calls it humor. How he manages to keep releasing mainstream films is a pretty severe indictment of the American populace.

I agree with you when it comes to his more mainstream, more popular movies.

but in fairness to him, he's done some movies in recent years that didn't fit this profile. I haven't seen Spanglish, but supposedly he was pretty good in it in a very different role than his usual. I did see Reign Over Me and Funny People, liked them both and thought he was pretty good in both -- and his performances in both generally were well-regarded, I think.

I haven't seen a comedy of his that I liked in more than a decade, but I guess I don't blame him for continuing to make movies that look terrible to me when he makes the money he does for doing it. As you state, an indictment of the American populace, perhaps, or, more hopefully, it's mostly just teens going to see them.

I agree with you when it comes to his more mainstream, more popular movies.

but in fairness to him, he's done some movies in recent years that didn't fit this profile. I haven't seen Spanglish, but supposedly he was pretty good in it in a very different role than his usual. I did see Reign Over Me and Funny People, liked them both and thought he was pretty good in both -- and his performances in both generally were well-regarded, I think.

I haven't seen a comedy of his that I liked in more than a decade, but I guess I don't blame him for continuing to make movies that look terrible to me when he makes the money he does for doing it. As you state, an indictment of the American populace, perhaps, or, more hopefully, it's mostly just teens going to see them.

Funny People was the worst crap ever made. I didn't realize it was a comedy until later on.

Funny People was the worst crap ever made. I didn't realize it was a comedy until later on.

I wouldn't call it a comedy, exactly -- I don't think it fits neatly into any single movie genre.

But "worst ever made" is just a bit of a stretch... especially when we're talking about Adam Sandler...

edit: Regardless, my point was that he has done other types of movies and, your or my opinion of any particular one aside, his performances in them have been considered pretty good by many critics.

Last edited:
What movie was Sandler in that had him sipping a ****tail on the cover?...I think that was a serious role but never saw it since so many people say the movie sucked.

On the subject of entertainment,another actor who has seriously gone down hill the same route as Sandler is Jim Carrey...he has lost his stuff as well.

Last edited:
What movie was Sandler in that had him sipping a ****tail on the cover?...I think that was a serious role but never saw it since so many people say the movie sucked.

On the subject of entertainment,another actor who has seriously gone down hill the same route as Sandler is Jim Carrey...he has lost his stuff as well.

Not sure re the cover you're referring to.

Re Carrey, does he even make movies anymore? I can't think of much recently. maybe that kids movie, something w/penguins? but that's all that comes to mind.

There have been too many crap movies over the past few years...slim number of good ones.

Adam sandler is awesome, even if he is a jets fan...

I'd rather staple my tongue to my cheek than see this movie.

Sandler went to my H.S. and spoke at my graduation, so I got love for Adam. He definitely has had some questionable movies, but Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer, Water Boy are some classics. Not to mention he has some underrated movies like 50 First Dates and Reign Over Me.

Oh come on, I thought the Rex bit was pretty funny. So is the BB bobblehead.

Should make for some interesting tweets from Wes to Rex. Hope they get re-tweeted.

Maybe Bill will play Fireman Ed in the next Sandler movie.

Jim Carrey's performance in Man on the Moon makes up for any bad movies he's been in.

Sandler wasn't bad in Fifty First Dates.

About the only movie Sandler made that I liked was 50 First Dates, and that's probably because Drew Barrymore was in it.

Probably worst movie ever was "Where the Buffalo Roam" with Bill Murray.....definately a snoozer.

He hasn't had a good movie since Happy Gilmore

i still don't get why people go to movies..i can download quality versions of it 1 week after and save the $$. Movies are stupid expensive...not worth it..especially for a crap movie

i still don't get why people go to movies..i can download quality versions of it 1 week after and save the $$. Movies are stupid expensive...not worth it..especially for a crap movie

If nobody goes to movies they will stop making them. The world runs on supply and demand.

If nobody goes to movies they will stop making them. The world runs on supply and demand.

Most movies now are **** anyways..maybe 1-2 good ones a year it seems. it's like they stopped trying

I would agree,I used to like his stuff early in his career,but he has really put out some dumb ass movies the past 10 years and of top of that he is a HUGE jets fan.

I can't fathom wanting to pay to see this trash unless you like his recent crap.
Early stuff was good ... his imagination has left him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back