PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That was pass interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF?!? I think, watching that GIF again for the Nth time, there was maybe a half second on that play that the defender didn't have his hands on Boyce.

Talib does worse than that on pretty much every single pass play.

Boyce is definitely held at about the 8 yard line. Boyce may have initiated the contact, but Hayden still holds him. Pass interference, obvious. Sometimes they don't call it, but that is like a lot of penalties.

You say that and then post the clip in the very next post. At no stage was Boyce impeded. There was one moment when he slowed as he adjusted to the flight of the ball at about the eight yard line. Maybe there's a different angle I haven't seen yet but certainly from that angle, there was no impediment.

And when MCFadden has his arm on Boyce's shoulder, Boyce is pushing his arm into McFadden's chest/armpit.

You interpretation of what happend at the eight yard line is different than what I saw. McFadden had his hand inside the should pads and it looked like it slowed Boyce for a second. That is either holding or pass interference.

Again, I don't think it it should have been called in the end zone, but I felt it could have been called on the eight.

bad call, those saying obvious PI would be screaming bloody murder if called on the Pats.

Pass interference should be a fifteen yard penalty. No one wins when a game is influenced that much by a judgement call. The coverage on that play was spot on. Bad call, pats probably would have won without it. But, they didn't have to.

bad call, those saying obvious PI would be screaming bloody murder if called on the Pats.

Go back to whatever board you came from.

You interpretation of what happend at the eight yard line is different than what I saw. McFadden had his hand inside the should pads and it looked like it slowed Boyce for a second. That is either holding or pass interference.

Again, I don't think it it should have been called in the end zone, but I felt it could have been called on the eight.

I am a little biased because I absolutely loved McFadden as a prospect. Serious binky. Anyway, whether it was the correct call or not, I'm absolutely delighted with the overall outcome.

I rewatched it and didn't see any of that. There was some mutual hand fighting and incidental contact but Boyce wasn't impeded from making that catch as far as I could see. It is one that will need to watched over and over but I'll stick to my original thought. if that had happened to Talib, there would be a very different thread right now containing the words "not" and "pass-interference".

I don't know how you missed it, but it's pretty clear that at the 5 yard line he actually grabs Boyce's shoulder and yanks it back.

I thought it was a call that could have gone either way but it does look like he got his hand inside boyce's shoulder pads

Does that include Ty Law and Troy Brown?

My quick answer is yes, but I tend to wonder if people are looking at the handchecking in the end zone and ignoring the yank of the shoulder further back. Did someone ask Troy specifically if the yank of the shoulder was a PI?

I saw two flags thrown on the play. One (as you say) at about the five yard line (likely holding, as I think the ball was not yet in the air) and another thrown in the end zone. The defender never looked back to the ball and made contact with Boyce. That's PI.

Ball was in the air when Boyce hit the 16 yard line.

All I know is that the field judge was right there, McFadden was beat, there was contact, Boyd almost caught the ball in the end zone, the Pats won and are now 10-3 with what seems like 500 injuries to key players.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I'm sorry - I still don't see PI there. As your receiver runs past the CB, he puts his hand out to push off (albeit slightly) the CB. The CB reaches out and puts his hand on the receivers shoulder.

There wasn't any impediment. There was contact by both players.

I just don't think the refs can call that pass interference, that late in the game which all but guaranteed the victory for the Pats.

And please, stop with the names. They aren't necessary. We can have a conversation and discuss the play, but your anger really is unjustified.

You are blind.

As you look at that .gif you don't see Boyce yanked back at the 5? Seriously?

That s for providing the gif, I've been waiting for it.

Clearly there's contact but I do not see a 'tug' or any perceptible physical impairment of Boyce's ability to catch the ball.

Edit: the one thing that works against McFadden is that he didn't look back.

He actually grabs his shoulder pad under his neck and yanks him back. How do you not see that?

Go back to whatever board you came from.

Pats fan for 40 years....doesn't mean I have to let it effect what I see on the field.

You are blind.

As you look at that .gif you don't see Boyce yanked back at the 5? Seriously?

It was a terrible call. The "five yard line" argument is just lamely trying to salvage some chicken salad.

It was a terrible call. The "five yard line" argument is just lamely trying to salvage some chicken salad.

Deus? Et tu Brute? What five yard line argument are you referring to?

Pereira starts out saying it's a terrible call, but quickly reveals that's only because it goes to the one yard line. If it's a 15 yard penalty? Not such a bad call, I guess. Same thing I've been saying for at least 5 years. If that play, right in front of the cameras and refs doesn't get called, tere's controversy on the other side.

Basically, if you don't mug the guy, it should be a 15 yard penalty, then you're not handing, or stealing a touchdown from either side.

I've said it before and I'll say it 100 times more: Pass interference is the hardest call to make and it carries the most punitive yardage penalty. The college rule takes this play and makes it a 15-yard penalty, which at least gives some solace to the fact that when you make an incorrect call, it doesn't cost you, in this case, a 29-yard penalty — with the game on the line.

Pereira: No, that definitely was NOT pass interference | FOX Sports on MSN

Thanks for chiming in.

Now convinced more than ever it was PI at the 5-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes