PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That was pass interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - I know absolutely nothing about football.

Should the refs call illegal contact whenever a CB touches a receiver past the 5 yards from scrimmage? That's how the rule is written, but it's not called, because if the contact doesn't impede the receiver then it shouldn't be a penalty.

I wanted the Pats to win today against the Browns - but that wasn't PI. There was contact, but there was no interference.

Keep posting and confirming that you don't know the rules. The illegal contact rule is NOT written the way you described.

It was PI and you are simply wrong but can't admit it.

Keep posting and confirming that you don't know the rules. The illegal contact rule is NOT written the way you described.

It was PI and you are simply wrong but can't admit it.

Directly from the rulebook:

"A penalty that results from a defensive player interfering with an offensive receiving player more than 5 yards from the line of scrimmage."

Sooooo yeahhhhhh. About that.

Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean I don't know the rules. No need for panties to be bunched.

Clear in the eyes of Pats fans, sure. If it was called in favor of the Ravens, I'd probably be in the same boat as you all. That's what happens to us fans.

But it wasn't PI lol.

yeah, like the Super Bowl at the end last season...heh, you really got a lot of nerve running your mouth abouyt calls...Torrey Smith STILL has that DB's skin from his arms being ripped at the end of the 1st half. preventing a sure INT...no call for the Ravens though. Game changer in the Super Bowl...like the non call at the end...and YOU have the nerve to run YOUR mouth?

yeah, like the Super Bowl at the end last season...heh, you really got a lot of nerve running your mouth abouyt calls...Torrey Smith STILL has that DB's skin from his arms being ripped at the end of the 1st half. preventing a sure INT...no call for the Ravens though. Game changer in the Super Bowl...like the non call at the end...and YOU have the nerve to run YOUR mouth?

You guys are so salty.

There probably was some PI on the last SF play in the Super Bowl. I didn't say otherwise.

Horrible call

Patriots benefit from it

Patriots win

Given how the season's gone, and the games lost due to calls, I'm fine with this.

It was maybe, sort of, perhaps a penalty...in the post-2004, Bill Polian-created, arena league dome ball that the NFL wants. They got it. It sucks.

I'll gladly take the call and the win. But these ticky tack interference calls annoy the hell out of me when they go against the Patriots, so I will try to be consistent on this one too.

It's ironic though. The Patriots started it all by being too mean and rough to the vaginal Colts offense.

Imagine how Colts fans of the past would have cried if they did not get a call on that play. Let's just except the call as a nice gift in this Christmas season, and enjoy the victory.

you get some, like today.

and you lose some, like against Carolina.

it seems refs are getting PI calls worse and worse every year

If those roles had been reversed and that was Talib, this forum would be up in arms at that call. That was six of one, half a dozen of 'tother. It was actually really good coverage by McFadden who was one of my major draft bickies last year.

Really good coverage up till the part where he grabbed the receiver. Come on man, get serious. It wasn't bear-hug level PI but the receiver's shoulder and jersey were tugged as he was running full speed for the endzone. At those speeds even that much impediment can throw a guy off course. It was PI, read the rulebook.

NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

"Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving. "

I saw both A and C on that play. and when the ref is right there, sees it, and throws the flag without hesitation, I think the PI is pretty clear and obvious.

Horrible call

PI was the right call, but wrong spot. At the 3-yard line the DB clearly grabs Boyce's left arm while the ball is in the air. Clear as day. I know lots of times that's NOT called, but he did grab him.

Patriots benefit from it

Agreed.

Patriots win

Obviously.

Given how the season's gone, and the games lost due to calls, I'm fine with this.

Me too. The Pats got absolutely friggin' screwed in both the Jets game and the Panthers game, with the refs admitting they blew the Jets game and the Panther play being probably the worst and most obvious missed non-call in NFL history. So I am not remotely embarrassed by getting a close call to go our way here.

reading jets insider makes me want to puke.

The thought of digging up Margaret Thatcher and giving her oral makes me want to puke too. That's why I don't do it.

Being clearly beat in the end zone is good coverage?

You need to watch it again. McFadden had his arm between Boyce's and was a whisker from tipping it. Hardly "beat".

And after rewatching it, I don't think there was a tug. McFadden and Boyce were hand fighting and McFadden almost wrapped his arms around Boyce as they entered the end zone although he didn't affect Boyce that I could see. I'll wait for the gif but I think we got away with one. That however does not detract from the effort in those last two minutes.

super_11502_r640x400.jpg

I gone go rum my mouf on Pat board about they cheaters cuz' of call...nope, no pass inderearance Pat fans...nope nope nope nope nope

nope3nx.gif

Really good coverage up till the part where he grabbed the receiver. Come on man, get serious. It wasn't bear-hug level PI but the receiver's shoulder and jersey were tugged as he was running full speed for the endzone. At those speeds even that much impediment can throw a guy off course. It was PI, read the rulebook.

"Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving. "

I saw both A and C on that play. and when the ref is right there, sees it, and throws the flag without hesitation, I think the PI is pretty clear and obvious.

Somewhere, Bill Polian is shedding a little tear of joy.

I gone go rum my mouf on Pat board about they cheaters cuz' of call...nope, no pass inderearance Pat fans...nope nope nope nope nope

Don't worry friend, I won't be stooping to your level.

I rewatched it and didn't see any of that. There was some mutual hand fighting and incidental contact but Boyce wasn't impeded from making that catch as far as I could see. It is one that will need to watched over and over but I'll stick to my original thought. if that had happened to Talib, there would be a very different thread right now containing the words "not" and "pass-interference".

I don't think it was a PI but considering they didn't call one where Amendola was fouled that killed a drive, another where Gronk was mugged and killed a drive and then called a cheap one on Wendell that killed a drive and yet didn't call a mugging on Nink that allowed the Browns to get a first and continue a drive we'll cal it even. The refs this year have flat out sucked.

It was a difficult call to make - could have gone either way. What was ridiculous was the announcer stating it was the worst call in the history of football.

I understand judgement calls like PI are not revieable but there is so much yardage at stake that it is ridiculous that they are reviewing 8 yard incompletions but not 50 yard flags.

Pats were going to score in any case. The flag helped the Browns since it gave them a chance to mount their last second FG attempt.

You really have to wonder what these refs are seeing. How they throw a flag in the end zone is just beyond comprehension.

As others have stated, inside the 10 when the CB gets his hand inside Boyce's collar and kind of reins him in, fine, but in the EZ? Shame they didn't call it a "faceguarding" penalty and let us all laugh at their incompetence.

But in the end, the Pats getting the ball at the 7 yard line would just have kept Cleveland from getting off that last field goal. Can't see the Pats not getting a touchdown with over half a minute on the clock. Not going to lose sleep over the Pats being "given" a victory here.

Don't worry friend, I won't be stooping to your level.

you're not my friend and you can't stoop with your legs cut off at the knees. "probably" interference at the end, you disingenuous little troll?

4th-And-Goal-High-Angle1.jpg

"PROBABLY!!"

super-bowl-holding-penalty.jpg

it's not "probable " that you're a little rat troll...it's DEFINITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back