PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That San Francisco pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have something to say:

DARREN MCFADDEN.

I will keep saying it until it happens.

Thank you. As you were.

I'd be perfectly happy with a top 15-16 pick. Plenty of talent and with a lower price tag.

Keep in mind our other 1st round pick was taken from us...so we do have a little extra cash to spend, so I have no problems with this pick going as high as it can :D

I have something to say:

DARREN MCFADDEN.

I will keep saying it until it happens.

Thank you. As you were.

Please elaborate. For me that means - hope we're in position to take him b/c lots of teams will want him and we can get a lot for the pick. PLEASE tell me you're not saying we should draft the guy. We have a running back. What we might want to draft is a little patience and clarity.

Please elaborate. For me that means - hope we're in position to take him b/c lots of teams will want him and we can get a lot for the pick. PLEASE tell me you're not saying we should draft the guy. We have a running back. What we might want to draft is a little patience and clarity.

Actually, I'd say we have two. :rocker:

We're not going to get him so it's moot; that said, as much as I love Maroney I would probably take McFadden. His speed/power/quickness combination is nuts.

I am not sure how we draft patience or clarity, as a knee-jerk fan why would I care about either?

Binkie alert - I think McFadden is great, best college RB I have seen since Steven Jackson.

To start with we never get him so it is a pointless argument, he should go top 3 overall. If he did fall to us (lets pretend) the Patriots would be fools not to take him. He is a clear upgrade and difference maker.

They could either play him in a two back rotation or get rid of Maroney. Maroney is a good player, his production has been ok, maybe a little below expectations because he was a first round pick. McFadden will be a pro bowler for years. It is almost like when people said 'We don't need a player like Randy Moss because Brady is so good.' The difference between last year and this year is night and day, largely because Moss is a difference maker, like my binkie McFadden.

I know there are some winless teams out there and SF has already won a couple, but the 49ers are really dreadful offensively, so there's no telling where they'll end up.

Patience and clarity are fine when drafting in the 20's in the first round.

But when you have a chance to get a phenomenon, you pull the trigger.

We have a running back?

Here's some clarity: Maroney seems to have injury issues if you haven't noticed. Plus he is a runner only. His hands are very questionable.

I love Sammy Morris a ton, but he is 32 and not a long term answer.

Faulk is an elder statesmen also.

So where am I wrong about going after the best RB to come out of college since LT if you can get a crack at him?

How are Maroney's hands "very questionable"? He was fine catching the ball last year.

How are Maroney's hands "very questionable"? He was fine catching the ball last year.

Maroney is NOT a great receiver out of the backfield. That's just not his game. He may improve but he's not a natural.

Maroney is NOT a great receiver out of the backfield. That's just not his game. He may improve but he's not a natural.

He's certainly not "very questionable"

We're not going to get him so it's moot; that said, as much as I love Maroney I would probably take McFadden. His speed/power/quickness combination is nuts.

I know getting him is pie in the sky, but if by some slim chance SF wins 4 games this year, he might be in striking distance.

A lot of franchises are going to be desperate looking for QB's early on in the draft. Although many will be available, they'll go fast. As many as eight teams will be jockeying for a QB.

He's certainly not "very questionable"

Can he catch the ball? Sure. Has he shown the capability to be a weapon in the passing game? Not so far.

Like I said, he could get much better, but to date he's been a non-factor.

Things Belichick is not going to do

5. Run naked across the field on MNF
4. Publicly call Peyton Manning the worst quarterback ever
3. Bring back Bethel Johnson to be the team's #1 receiver
2. Try to convince Bledsoe to replace Brady
1. Draft a running back with this year's only first round pick

Things Belichick is not going to do

5. Run naked across the field on MNF
4. Publicly call Peyton Manning the worst quarterback ever
3. Bring back Bethel Johnson to be the team's #1 receiver
2. Try to convince Bledsoe to replace Brady
1. Draft a running back with this year's only first round pick

If every report and scout tells Belichick that this is the best player in the draft, unless McFadden was a QB, BB takes him if available.

Belichick likes versatility. McFadden is a great runner, receiver and has a tremendously strong and accurate throwing arm. I think we all THINK we know Belichick's formula for taking talent in the draft, but we've been wrong every year.

If every report and scout tells Belichick that this is the best player in the draft, unless McFadden was a QB, BB takes him if available.

Belichick likes versatility. McFadden is a great runner, receiver and has a tremendously strong and accurate throwing arm. I think we all THINK we know Belichick's formula for taking talent in the draft, but we've been wrong every year.

It's not going to happen.

Rey Maulaga looks like a perfect fit for the Patriots, and he should be available at the 49ers slot and for good value, too, assuming the Niners finish 6-10 or 7-9 and don't somehow sneak into the playoffs.

McFadden? I don't see it (I don't think the fact that a running back has a "big strong throwing arm" is going to make Belichick cream his pants; McFadden's small, though he plays bigger than he is). Glenn Dorsey, though, I could see, or Keith Rivers.

Last edited:
Rey Maulaga looks like a perfect fit for the Patriots, and he should be available at the 49ers slot and for good value, too, assuming the Niners finish 6-10 or 7-9 and don't somehow sneak into the playoffs.

McFadden? I don't see it (I don't think the fact that a running back has a "big strong throwing arm" is going to make Belichick cream his pants; McFadden's small, though he plays bigger than he is). Glenn Dorsey, though, I could see, or Keith Rivers.

i didn't think he was small so i looked up his stats. he's 6'2" 205. for a college kid, that's not small.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me. But at least know what you're talking about.

McFadden is 6' 1" 220. A midget. :rolleyes:

Dorsey? What are we gonna have......the $20 million dollar d-line?

Both USC LB's will be late 1st early 2nd round picks.

Us getting Mcfadden is unlikely because of draft position but not because we wouldn't want him. That's just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes