PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That Phantom Rusher: Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hell he didn't. You guys just all have selective memory based on the need to nitpick Brady in his dotage... Nobody's perfect, least alone any NFL QB. He's been sacked, strip sacked, thrown INT's on the run, ducked phantom rushers. They all do all that any more than once every season.

It ain't me with selective memory. Or maybe you didn't watch Brady pre-2007?

Brady in the past did neither of those things.

How many times has Brady heard footsteps behind him, ducked and pulled a houdini?

Dozens.

He does it regularly. He must have heard something. If for every time he's miraculously evaded a defender in such fashion, he also ducks with no one threatening, the trade off is worth it.

I hate it, but I can understand it. However if he's going to turtle he should just go to the ground. I don't get this half measure thing he's doing, and as the fumble proved it's really not all that effective. If he's going to do it I'd prefer if it eliminates the risk of injury and turnover.

Did you guys just start watching Brady or something? The guy has been evading rushers in the same fashion for ages. Sometimes he appears to have eyes behind his head.

I had a post on this from another forum, I'll just c/p:

Tom Brady's pocket presence -- this entire season -- has been completely and utterly awful (edit: well, by *his* standards). It's so out-of-character too....

He used to be so calm and sure-footed in the pocket, too. Ron Jaworski used to call him the most "mobile" QB in the league -- not for scrambling (for sure) -- but for his ability to slide around in the pocket, unfettered, and make a solid throw with his feet still under him. He was great at it. Even after the ACL-tear, he wasn't bad at it. His pocket presence got worse, sure (mentally). But it wasn't awful. This year? It's awful. It's all mental too.

I think it's because he doesn't trust his offensive line. They aren't bad either. But Matt Light retried. Same for Brian Waters. Dan Koppen went to Denver. Logan Mankins tore his ACL (he actually left the game today, too). Vollmer is constantly injured (he left today's game, as well) So, a lot of new guys out there. That pretty much leaves Nate Solder -- who's in his 2nd year -- as his longest tenured, and healthy, starter. Solder is new to the LT position. So, now you got guys like McDonald, Wendell, Cannon, and Thomas; who have little experience, who are all in there at once.

I remember when people used to rag on Brady for getting too much time in the pocket. Now? When he does get too much time; it's almost, counter-intuitive, to his detriment. He gets visibly happy-footed, and doesn't set his feet when (or if) he throws.

Brady's pocket presence has been fantastic this year.

The Bills attacked him from all angles last week and he was giving them dead legs and shliding his shoulders through traffic. It was a sight to behold.

Even today he was moving up in the pocket and shifting around. For heaven's sake, he gave Deion Branch 6 seconds to get open at one point.

Do you not remember his incredible TD throw last week that was all Brady commanding the pocket. He looked great against the Ravens as well.

How many times has Brady heard footsteps behind him, ducked and pulled a houdini?

Dozens.

He does it regularly. He must have heard something. If for every time he's miraculously evaded a defender in such fashion, he also ducks with no one threatening, the trade off is worth it.

My long term memory is better than yours. While I'm sure Brady has ducked imaginary rushers pre injury, he's done it more often since then.

I'm not the only one who's noticed this. And I really don't blame him for being more careful. But to put your head in the sand and pretend that this isn't happening more often is being obtuse.

I complain as much as anybody on this forum, but this is crossing the line. If any Pats fan thinks Brady is in any way the problem time to sink the ship. This is getting crazy.

I complain as much as anybody on this forum, but this is crossing the line. If any Pats fan thinks Brady is in any way the problem time to sink the ship. This is getting crazy.

Brady ain't the problem and no one is saying that.

Honestly think this is less about Brady avoiding a hit and more about Brady avoiding being stripped. Incidentally both he and Manning coughed the ball up today.

makes sense .. pretty legit .. but not so fast my friend .. :cool: .. we have seen it a few times, more this year

Good grief, what do you expect from the guy -- perfection? It only happens when the pocket is collapsing. At least he doesn't turtle like some QBs, like the one wearing green down New Jersey way.

My long term memory is better than yours. While I'm sure Brady has ducked imaginary rushers pre injury, he's done it more often since then.

I'm not the only one who's noticed this. And I really don't blame him for being more careful. But to put your head in the sand and pretend that this isn't happening more often is being obtuse.

I doubt your memory is as good as mine, but that's another story.

You're missing the point. I was writing about Brady ducking rushers, period. Imaginary or real. He has done it all the time. Since forever. He does it to great effect too. So many times he's escaped rushers in exactly this fashion, and left people wondering, "How the hell did he see that guy?"

if you could answer that question, you'd have a better understand for what he did in the pocket tonight. Clearly, he hears something, and that's what he reacts to, unless you believe he's an alien and really does have eyes behind his head (with x-ray vision to see through a helmet).

Brady used to be fearless in the pocket. He was literally oblivious to the pressure. It's perfectly understandable, but it's also not debatable that after the knee and getting into his later 30s, he is more worried about rushers, real and imagined.

Very concerned about this ... The phantom rusher that Brady kept on seeing today. Did anyone catch his number? Not saying Brady is psychologically damaged goods, but it does raise some eyebrows .. I believe the first time I saw it was that Jets playoff game in 2010.. Might be a concern in Seattle? Discuss ..

Phantom rusher? On the play where he ducked without there being a rusher right there, Solderf was right behind him, so that's probably what he was responding to without realizing it. Bottom line, Brady understand the importance of ball security. The strip-sack on Manning was one of the key plays that really blew this game open in the Patriots' favor, and Brady knows that it's better to secure the ball and sack a sack in that situation like that than hang in there and turn the ball over.

If anything, I take it as a sign that he understands he doesn't have to do everything all the time anymore. Don't like to see it, but it's not such a bad thing.

God I hate post like this. Brady senses pressure. Sometimes it is his own guys getting to close. When your eyes are staying down field you do not have the luxury of seeing everything we see.

You're missing the point. I was writing about Brady ducking rushers, period. Imaginary or real. He has done it all the time. Since forever. He does it to great effect too. So many times he's escaped rushers in exactly this fashion, and left people wondering, "How the hell did he see that guy?"

if you could answer that question, you'd have a better understand for what he did in the pocket tonight. Clearly, he hears something, and that's what he reacts to, unless you believe he's an alien and really does have eyes behind his head (with x-ray vision to see through a helmet).

Stupid iPad double post back to the future style.

Last edited:
He had plenty of time to step up and make throws today... I'm more worried about some of the fade passes he missed, particularly the one to Gronk. I think he missed at least 2-3 of them. I don't know if it's a pressure problem or an accuracy problem. It's frankly sad that I get nervous everytime Brady decides to throw the ball more than 20 yards, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. We rejoice when he occasionally hits a receiver downfield. Emphasis on occasionally.

Last edited:

The point of this thread is that he is ducking pass rushers that aren't there. Obviously he is hearing and sensing something around him, real or not. Hence, "imaginary".

I've enjoyed the zillion times he's ducked away from rushers he couldn't see as if he had eyes in the back of his head, then made great plays. Why not chill out and have a cold beverage?

I've enjoyed the zillion times he's ducked away from rushers he couldn't see as if he had eyes in the back of his head, then made great plays. Why not chill out and have a cold beverage?

This. Although, upon further review, the gist of this post might be that the OP had a few too many cold beverages.

It ain't a problem. There ain't no phantom pass rushers. Enjoy the GOAT while we have him. :cool:

It happened in this game more than I had seen it all season. He's been especially good in the pocket this season which makes me worry less about these few instances.

Seriously?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye