PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That long bomb with 6:00 to go in the 4th...

Status
Not open for further replies.
************ can't you people just enjoy a win???!!??

I don't go with the "it was going for the knock out" view. We don't knock teams out doing things we're not good at. We don't have a deep threat. Slater is not a player to go for a knockout. After the Spikes interception, I had a bad feeling we were going to go deep. Bad idea and bad execution.BOB must have been on the phone to Penn State and McDaniels called the play.

Brady made a bad decision to throw into double coverage.

Got no problem with bomb to Slater if he is wide open... But into double coverage?!

Horrible play in that spot. Inexcusable

Stupid play. Deep heave to a guy not known for hands against a secondary that was all over it. Seriously, has Slater ever made a leaping grab between defenders?
Boneheaded play by TfB.

This could spin off into the next "Bring back Moss" thread.

There have been a group of people (I am a part of that group), who thinks that BOB sucks, well that's why.
I'm one of them too, BOBs not ready for prime time. Also is it me or did the pats get away from the running game in the fourth quarter because earlier BGGE was ripping off 5-6 yards at a time.

Last edited:
Teams in the NFL are inclined to go for the dagger after a turnover given that the situation is favourable.
Earlier when the Patriots gave away the first turnover, the Ravens went for the bomb to Torrey Smith.
Having said that here was an open receiver in the flat on the play. Not surprising considering that Slater was triple covered. But Brady was keyed in on the bomb. And the play by the Ravens was superb. It was no gimme.
Glad the ball bounced the Patriots way in the end....

Matthew Slater? :confused:

Are you kidding me?

Brady made a bad decision to throw into double coverage.

This. I don't mind the play call, but Brady needed to be able to look down the field and realize that wasn't Moss in the middle of those defenders.

I thought the call was bad situational football. Both the call and Brady's execution.
Without a deep threat, going for the "knock out" punch was not sound football. Just too low a % playcall. Chew the clock with what had been working. Not this bomb.
Why Brady thrw it when he knew the receiver was not only not open but double covered, is beyond me?
It was a momentum killer that nearly cost us the game.

Brady is trying to live up to his hype. He needs a slap and to be reminded this is a team sport and it is not about him and his legend. His play was very self centered today.

I agree with this. I felt like he was trying to make the Sportscenter Highlights, it would've worked if he was playing any other defense, but this is the Ravens, they were hungry for any pass. I can't believe McDaniels would even let Brady go on with BOB's stupid decision.

Honestly, Brady didn't play that bad tonight. Sure he missed Gronk, but he's missed wide open recievers many times this year, it was just ONE of THREE bad passes he had all night IMO.

The INT off Edelman was a dumb decison.

But the rest of his passes were fine. A few of them were even dropped, so... to say Brady was off is an overstatement or an insult to him. I felt the Pats offense left a lot of points out there, but who cares... the SUPERBOWL is around the corner.

I thought the call was bad situational football. Both the call and Brady's execution.
Without a deep threat, going for the "knock out" punch was not sound football. Just too low a % playcall. Chew the clock with what had been working. Not this bomb.
Why Brady thrw it when he knew the receiver was not only not open but double covered, is beyond me?
It was a momentum killer that nearly cost us the game.
Especially considering how well BJGE was running the football.

To some degree, a game like this might serve all the better heading into the Superbowl. After that molesting of the Broncos, another blow out against Baltimore and going into a game with NYG or SF will help to look itself in the mirror and recalibrate. This was the game with all the pressure - getting to the big dance is the hardest part. I expect TB to be a bit more relaxed/play within himself and see the field better.

As for who I'd rather see - you have to go with an SF/Alex Smith that's never been there before. Although I want redemption and the Giants.

Hey the reality is TFB has not been great under real pressure in quite a while and I believe it is because he has been trying to live up to the legend rather than play the game that is available. You don’t like that I am saying it but I don’t like that I am seeing it.

I agree with this - but it's not about being selfish or anything of that nature -I would think it's about him wanting to win so badly (as a team)

I'm one of them too, BOBs not ready for prime time. Also is it me or did the pats get away from the running game in the fourth quarter because earlier BGGE was ripping off 5-6 yards at a time.

Of course they did, that is what they do these days.

That lousy D just saved the season while that statistical juggernaut Offense was out to lunch.

They earned some respect today.

Read my first post in the chain. I was giving the team props for making the Super Bowl despite the flaws. As usual, people here had to make something of it because it wasn't a complete ballwashing saying that the Patriots are the very bestest at everything ever ever ever.

First off, YEAH!! SUPERBOWL BABY!!!! WHOOO!! Defense played great, we had some lucky breaks. Whatever it takes to win.

That said...

What the HELL.... *HELL* was with that long bomb pass to SLATER with 6 minutes to go in the 4th after the Pats interception?

Was that not the single most stupid play you've ever seen called? Brady was clearly off all day, and so he's going to throw long to a special teamer?

All we needed to do was march it down for a few first downs, and instead we're throwing dangerous passes?

Awful play. Awful decision on Brady's part.

Brady off all day? I saw him make a number of great plays. Yes there were a few clunkers, but honestly, there always are.

And from my years of watching Pats games, it's pretty common for the Belichick era teams to throw a bomb after an INT. The other team's D is coming in cold off the bench and is unhappy about it so it's USUALLY a good time to go for it,

HOWEVER: In this case I thought it was poor situational football. Having the ball with 6:00 and the lead, driving the ball down the field and eating up 3 or so minutes is the way to go. Scoring the bomb would just put the Ravens right back on the field with time left in the game for a few scores.

More to the point it didn't appear to play the situation, which has been the Patriots mantra under BB.

Agree.

I agree with this. I felt like he was trying to make the Sportscenter Highlights, it would've worked if he was playing any other defense, but this is the Ravens, they were hungry for any pass. I can't believe McDaniels would even let Brady go on with BOB's stupid decision.

Honestly, Brady didn't play that bad tonight. Sure he missed Gronk, but he's missed wide open recievers many times this year, it was just ONE of THREE bad passes he had all night IMO.

The INT off Edelman was a dumb decison.

But the rest of his passes were fine. A few of them were even dropped, so... to say Brady was off is an overstatement or an insult to him. I felt the Pats offense left a lot of points out there, but who cares... the SUPERBOWL is around the corner.

Brady is not about the highlights. I know this from years of listening to interviews with him.

Besides, if he is a Sports Center kind of guy, why would he say "I sucked today" on national TV?

He could have just mumbled some athlete-speak BS and moved on, but he didn't.

Tom may not have had his best day, but had the kind of day today that 2/3rds or more of NFL quarterbacks would have been very happy with.

And tonight, he sleeps with Giselle!

Consolation sex = great sex! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back