PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That Arrogant Belichick Is At It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Problem is they didn't even try for a first. That's where the bad coaching and Clock Management comes into play on that series
If they had tried for a first and not made it by passing on one or two of the plays, then Miami suddenly gets the ball back with 11/2 minutes and 2 timeouts. Instead they made Miami burn their timeouts and get the clock down under a minute. If the special teams had performed they would have had Miami withe the ball at their own 35?? with 45 seconds and no timeouts. Usually a pretty safe place to be. BB played conservatively and his team let him down.

I know, I mean there is no way Shane could ever get a first down, he sucks.

Team wins 41-13, fans ***** that the coaching sucked at the end of the first half. Fans are idiots.

If they had tried for a first and not made it by passing on one or two of the plays, then Miami suddenly gets the ball back with 11/2 minutes and 2 timeouts. Instead they made Miami burn their timeouts and get the clock down under a minute. If the special teams had performed they would have had Miami withe the ball at their own 35?? with 45 seconds and no timeouts. Usually a pretty safe place to be. BB played conservatively and his team let him down.

Except using Vereen in this situation wasn't going to cut it. They should have either used Blount or Gray.

I'm sure that I am in the minority here but I really don't have too big of an issue with how the coaching staff managed the last 40 seconds of the 1st 1/2. We've heard Brady and Bruschi say that BB has a saying, "NBF"- No Bad Football. If folks recall from Indy game, BB also went very conservative by having TB take a knee and not try to move the ball in the last minute of the 1/2 (as TB threw a pick the series before). As we all saw, the Pats O was playing poorly and JMD went with 3 straight runs to force MIA to burn all it's TOs. The killer was the 32 yard return by Landry that gave MIA great field position. If hes stopped for a modest gain, this whole situation (MIA ball at midfield with 16 or so seconds left w/o time outs ) is a non issue and the Pats get the ball to start the 2nd 1/2 w/ a 14-6 lead...

The only issue is that the Pats did not pick up a 1st down or have good punt coverage.

The issue I had, once it became clear that Miami was going to try to get the ball back (i.e. the first Shane Vereen run for no gain), was who they put in there to run the ball. The only thing I can think of in the last few weeks that has been maddening to me about the Pats is not putting in Jonas Gray as the starting RB. He finally made his way out of the doghouse in the 3rd quarter and the first thing he did was rip off a really good run. No wait, actually the first thing he did was cause a distraction that allowed Gronk to get open for a 30 yard gain on the first play of the 2nd half. I know I was distracted to see him in there at the opening of the 3rd quarter and so was Miami. The second thing he did (after a decent run on his first carry) was make a great catch. It was only for a few yards, but it was in total traffic and he bailed Brady out of a sure sack for a loss. Seriously, what does this guy have to do to be named the starter? Blount is only really good in the 4th quarter when the other D is tired. Then his pound & ground style is a great weapon. In the first half, when the other team is fresh? Not so much.

I groan when I see Vereen in there on first down and Brady under center. Two yard loss, coming right up! Gray hits the hole instead of the wall. I don't get it, and it cost us 7 points at the end of a sloppy, head-scratching half. Luckily it didn't matter against Miami, but it will in the playoffs. C'mon Josh and BB - whatever he did to piss you off - forget it and make the best decision for the team (as you usually do, but can't seem to bring yourself to do in this situation) and make Gray the starting RB.

The Problem is they didn't even try for a first. That's where the bad coaching and Clock Management comes into play on that series.

40 Seconds left there is no reason Miami should have gotten that ball back. If they tired and failed to execute I could forgive it because at least they made an attempt. Running Vereen to the right 3 straight times is not 'trying'.
Fair points. I also felt that the playcalling was unimaginative. I try not to be too critical of the playcalling but no doubt they certainly could have called a safe pass on 3rd down as opposed to running Vereen off tackle.

I think in the end BB didn't want to leave anything to chance. Boy did that backfire.

Fair points. I also felt that the playcalling was unimaginative. I try not to be too critical of the playcalling but no doubt they certainly could have called a safe pass on 3rd down as opposed to running Vereen off tackle.

I think in the end BB didn't want to leave anything to chance. Boy did that backfire.
I know right, they only won by 28 points.

Legitimate criticisms is not *****ing.
I guess you can complain that they played conservatively at the end of the half. The problem is you are looking at 2 minutes of the entire game, a game which we won by 28 points and using that to rip the coaching staff. It is simply ludicrous.

I knew Belichick would run out the clock at the end of the half. The offense had given him no confidence that they wouldn't turn the ball over with a pick six in that situation.

I guess you can complain that they played conservatively at the end of the half. The problem is you are looking at 2 minutes of the entire game, a game which we won by 28 points and using that to rip the coaching staff. It is simply ludicrous.

I'm not "ripping the coaching staff". Belichick made a comment that the series was poorly coached and poorly played and I'm merely agreeing with that assessment. This has nothing to do with the rest game but that one series is the subject of this thread. You should probably try to stay on topic instead of bringing in other irrelevant variables. The rest of the game doesn't matter. I'm agreeing with the head coach. End of discussion.

You have two options there, go for it or run three running plays. The Pats seemed to be struggling against Miami at that point and I believe BB felt more comfortable ending the quarter and going into half up 8 points. A nice return and a lucky touchdown pass made it end up not working out well, but I don't have any issue with that plan.

Way Pats were playin in 1st half I wasn't surprised Phins came down and scored. That long pass to end zone was fitting on how it was going. 1st play 1st series was a 50 yd bomb completion that was longest pass play for Phins all yr. I think 21 yd was their longest.

Did people not read the OP?

I don't care what Coach B has to say. I want to hear Dikembe explain what happened! :rolleyes:

I too need hear Dikembe explain Os and also Xs from game. Without Dikembe breakdown I not know where can add improvements. Also, need to know who was communist.

p.s. Capslock, like clock respect, must be earned.

Team wins 41-13, fans ***** that the coaching sucked at the end of the first half. Fans are idiots.

????

Are you trying to say: "Team wins 41-13, head coach *****es that the coaching sucked at the end of the first half. Head coaches thus are idiots." ????

Because the whole point of this entire thread was discussing coach Belichick's comments about how he believes that he did a poor job of coaching there at the end of half #1.

You have the prerogative to disagree, but at minimum you you at least realize with whom you are in disagreement.

I too need hear Dikembe explain Os and also Xs from game. Without Dikembe breakdown I not know where can add improvements. Also, need to know who was communist.

p.s. Capslock, like clock respect, must be earned.

Dikembe works down the hall from me and is in a conference call.

He wanted me to relay the message, though:

COACH NOT DO SO GOOD THERE END OF HALF ONE. RUN LITTLE SHAWN VERNINE THREE TIMES AND HAVE TO KICK. THEN WE NOT TACKLE LITTLE DOLPHIN AND LUCKY COMMIE DOLPHIN QB O. TANNEBAUM THROWS UP PRAYER AND GETS ANSWERED. NO GOOD FOR DIKEMBE, WHO HAVE NO APPETITE FOR WIFE'S GOAT KEBOBS AFTER THAT PLAY. NEED TO COACH BETTER THERE. DIKEMBE HELP. DIKEMBE BE THE NEW ERNIE ADDAMS AND WITH CLEVER STRATEGERY. BRING WIFE ALONG FOR POSTGAME GOAT KEBOBS. GOAT: IT IS WHATS FOR LUNCH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey