PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The first hint of fall comes with the early evening shadows. It's that time of year again. The whole offseason is a waiting game of the spirit, until the world's greatest toy store reopens, the NFL. This is the pinacle of our nation's prosperity: leisure time, at peace, with family, friends, food and football. Real differences, racial, political, professional, religious, become inconsequential, and strangers are bound together by a sense of hope and community. How is it that a child's game can unite a nation so bitterly divided? Closing in on opening weekend, I am thankful to still be alive and able to witness these trivial acts of athletic heroism. The NFL is like a fortress, and inside 32 Lords stage an annual morality play, where simple virtues always triumph. Outside is a twilight world where heroes perish, cowards rise to power, and the moral outcome is still in doubt.

The first hint of fall comes with the early evening shadows. It's that time of year again. The whole offseason is a waiting game of the spirit, until the world's greatest toy store reopens, the NFL. This is the pinacle of our nation's prosperity: leisure time, at peace, with family, friends, food and football. Real differences, racial, political, professional, religious, become inconsequential, and strangers are bound together by a sense of hope and community. How is it that a child's game can unite a nation so bitterly divided? Closing in on opening weekend, I am thankful to still be alive and able to witness these trivial acts of athletic heroism. The NFL is like a fortress, and inside 32 Lords stage an annual morality play, where simple virtues always triumph. Outside is a twilight world where heroes perish, cowards rise to power, and the moral outcome is still in doubt.

........and the Colts win two in a row!

Nice post, good sentiments, but when I read the "at peace" part I wondered if you forgot we have soldiers dying in Iraq and Afganistan?

Nice post, good sentiments, but when I read the "at peace" part I wondered if you forgot we have soldiers dying in Iraq and Afganistan?

He covered all that in the last sentence. " ... where heroes perish ... " (soldiers), " ... cowards rise to power ... " (Bush/Bin Laden) " ... " ... and the moral outcome is still in doubt." (terrorism, government ineptitude, etc.).

Nice post Pony, very poetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back