PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thanksgiving Night Cap should be AFC vs. AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As you know, the Lions and Cowboys host Thanksgiving games each year. One team plays an AFC team while the other plays a divisional rival.

Therefore, every Thanksgiving we get 3 NFC teams and 1 AFC team.

The NFL Network added a third game to the Thanksgiving lineup, and I thought this would be a great way to even out the AFC/NFC balance without taking a game away from Detroit or Dallas. I thought the NFL was going to do just that when the first extra game was decided to be Kansas City vs. Denver.

However, last year it was Arizona at Philly, and this year it Giants at Denver.

Maybe secretly I'm just mad that 2 out of 3 games on Thanksgiving this season will feature the Lions or Raiders.

Yeah, the first two games stink and the third is only mildly interesting. Why Dallas/Oakland? Where is the draw for that? What is the logic behind that?

Maybe they just want us to spend more time with our familys on Thanksgiving because those first two games are horrible. Of course, I'll still watch :confused:

Denver vs. NYG could be decent.

Yeah, the first two games stink and the third is only mildly interesting. Why Dallas/Oakland? Where is the draw for that? What is the logic behind that?

Since CBS had the game they could only choose from two games involving an AFC team, which was the Cowboys hosting either the Raiders or the Chargers. They probably want to save Chargers @ Cowboys for another week instead of showing it on Thanksgiving, where people will watch football regardless of the teams.

A similar scenario happened two years ago, where CBS showed the crappy Jets @ Cowboys on Thanksgiving instead of Pats @ Cowboys, which would get great ratings any week of the season.

Since CBS had the game they could only choose from two games involving an AFC team, which was the Cowboys hosting either the Raiders or the Chargers. They probably want to save Chargers @ Cowboys for another week instead of showing it on Thanksgiving, where people will watch football regardless of the teams.

A similar scenario happened two years ago, where CBS showed the crappy Jets @ Cowboys on Thanksgiving instead of Pats @ Cowboys, which would get great ratings any week of the season.

yes, and do you remember how bad that Jets-Cowboys game was?

As a huge football fan, it's tough to convince the rest of the family to keep the football game on when they are showing that garbage

I really don't care how many AFC teams play. It seems every year that my Thanksgiving dinner falls smack dab right in the middle of the two afternoon games.

I don't care at all about the night game because I have Comcast and Comcast is supposively dropping the NFL Network in May. So unless the Pats were playing, I wouldn't see it anyway.

All I really care about is them getting Detriot off of Thanksgiving. It is a travesty that at least one of the games every year is a snoozer.

Maybe secretly I'm just mad that 2 out of 3 games on Thanksgiving this season will feature the Lions or Raiders.

dude, it's turkey day.

Well on thanksgiving one is spending time with family and the turkey makes you sleepy so its better to have boring games.

especially , if the weather is half a decent i rarely am indoors either.

It's better to get the crappy games out of the way so you can watch the better games when there are less distractions.

The NFL knows that no one will watch a GB v Detroit / Oak v Dallas game on any day besides Thanksgiving. That's why they set the schedule like this.

It's better to get the crappy games out of the way so you can watch the better games when there are less distractions.

The NFL knows that no one will watch a GB v Detroit / Oak v Dallas game on any day besides Thanksgiving. That's why they set the schedule like this.
Yeah, pretty much my exact thoughts. The networks know they have a captive audience. The ratings will be high regardless of what teams are playing on Thanksgiving. Scheduling a better game will make almost no difference in the ratings, so they save the better teams and better games for Sunday, when there will be a bigger difference in the ratings.

Bump ...... We need to start a petition banning the lions from playing every Thanksgiving. I can live with the Cowboys ... they're either mildly good or mildly bad but they're not the Lions at least.

Giants at Donkies won't be bad at least.

I don't think the Patriot's players would be too happy with fans starting a petition to have them play on Thanksgiving.;)

I don't think the Patriot's players would be too happy with fans starting a petition to have them play on Thanksgiving.;)

it doesn't have to be us ... but seriously the Lions need to be tanked.

The NFL is so worried about it's product, that it MAKES TEAMS go to ASIA/Europe to play...
Worries and fines guys for Farting outside the clubhouse.....
Yet they KEEP putting LAMEASS TEAMS on the Thanksgiving schedule, even though the Lions have SUCKED BADLY for over a DECADE!!

NOONE REALLY gives a sht about the game, because it's the lameass Lions.

Talk about a bunch of IDIOTS, that Annual Lions Game HAS TO GO!!
First of all the Lions do NOT deserve the attention of the world, and noone really gives a ratsass about those LOSERS!!

The NFL has to get with the program and dump the CLOWNS that insist on putting them LOSERS on the schedule every year!!

If I kept doing dumb**** like that at my job I'd have been fired 10 times!!

Last edited:
As you know, the Lions and Cowboys host Thanksgiving games each year. One team plays an AFC team while the other plays a divisional rival.

Therefore, every Thanksgiving we get 3 NFC teams and 1 AFC team.

The NFL Network added a third game to the Thanksgiving lineup, and I thought this would be a great way to even out the AFC/NFC balance without taking a game away from Detroit or Dallas. I thought the NFL was going to do just that when the first extra game was decided to be Kansas City vs. Denver.

However, last year it was Arizona at Philly, and this year it Giants at Denver.

I would like to see divison rival games on Thanksgiving for the most part. Why not have the Gaints/Cowboys game that day? Or Philly/Dallas? It would make for a better matchup than the Raiders and the Cowboys, but I guess I can understand that one also they are prob two of the most hated teams in the NFL still. The night game should be good but I would like to see SD/Denver or Denver/KC or even Oak at KC/Denver. I think the first matchup is fine but it seems like it is the Packers every year, throw the Bears and Vikings in there more.

Well with CBS having the Lions game next year it will either be Lions vs Patriots or Jets. Two major market teams.

The Patriots are, well, the Patriots and will get a lot of viewers. The Jets game provides CBS with the top two qb's from this past draft class squaring off. Interesting to see which way it goes.

I would like to see divison rival games on Thanksgiving for the most part. Why not have the Gaints/Cowboys game that day? Or Philly/Dallas? It would make for a better matchup than the Raiders and the Cowboys, but I guess I can understand that one also they are prob two of the most hated teams in the NFL still. The night game should be good but I would like to see SD/Denver or Denver/KC or even Oak at KC/Denver. I think the first matchup is fine but it seems like it is the Packers every year, throw the Bears and Vikings in there more.

It had to be an AFC team since it is CBS' year to have the Cowboys. Each year one of the two games must involve an AFC team so you are stuck with a choice of two and sometimes the choice isn't all that appealing.

The Thanksgiving games have sucked for years. Last year, I was bored to tears with the games that were being televised.

I guess they assume people will watch them no matter what, but I don't like it when my patronage is taken for granted. I might tune in to the Giants-Broncos game, but that's assuming I'm still awake by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing