Welcome to PatsFans.com

Thanksgiving in Detroit 2010?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JDSal45, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDSal45

JDSal45 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I believe Detroit and Dallas alternate AFC opponents every year (because CBS needs one game and they have the AFC). This year Dallas played Oakland. So next year I believe Detroit will play the AFC team.

Detroit's only home AFC teams next year will be the Patriots and the Jets. So there is at least a 50/50 shot the Pats will be playing on Thanksgiving next year in Detroit.

J D Sal

2. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

Saw someone speculating on that in recent days. I sure hope not : I am at work during the early game... I'd have to do something rash - like tell the employer I was not going to work, or just put the game on and watch.

3. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

4. TennesseePatriot

TennesseePatriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Thanksgiving day game has gotta leave Detroit. It's unfair to make us sit through that simply because there's nothing else on.

5. Wide_Receiver

Wide_Receiver Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cool. Now I'll have something to root for. Go Lions! HAHA!

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

:ugh: ... Belichick will be miserable that week.

7. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

They usually put the worst teams in during Thanksgiving as they know no one would be watching that game on a Sunday. We may have a shot at Thursday night though. We play the AFC West game away and the NFL Network could use it to entice more people to pay for their channel.

8. JDSal45

JDSal45 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't think that is true at all. We played there in 2002 when we were defending Super Bowl champs. The "worst" game broadcast on a Sunday would be only a regional game to the two teams cities anyways. So I don't think they take that into consideration at all. Its a marketing day for the NFL, look at the halftimes they put on....practically Super Bowl level. They want good teams and stars to the extent possible. They simply failed to produce it this year, though Green Bay is a decent team.

J D Sal

9. SoCal Pmen

SoCal Pmen 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Easy win. The Lions will suck again next year.

10. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Jets also got the Thanksgivings day game most recently in 07 @ Dallas. Dallas crushed them 34-3.

11. aurakilla

aurakilla Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that then theyll go .500, but then after that theyll suck and the year after that and the year after that

12. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

They normally rotate teams in these same respective divisions as well. For example, when they played the AFCS in 2004, they played Indy on turkey day. In 2008 when they played the AFCS again, they played Tennessee. Ditto us in 2003 with the AFCE, we played Miami, fast forward 4 years later, we played the Jets.

My guess is that the Lions opponent will likely be the Jets or Bills next year.

13. Wax Frog

Wax Frog In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

With one occasional exception, at least for my part: I can think of no finer way to digest turkey than with the aid of an enzymatic Patriot-blowout supplement :D:D:D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  14. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

That'd be great. Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving a month earlier, and my wife is American, but doesn't make a huge deal out of the American Thanksgiving. But I'd definitely take a day off for that.

15. SladeRider

SladeRider On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This would be nice for us fans in the UK because we've only been able to see the Pats three times this season and two of those was always going to happen because it was a sunday night game and the London game, the only Pats game that has been shown over when played on Sunday afternoon was the Baltimore game so it would be nice to get another mandatory game shown over here.

16. dhamz

dhamz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It can't be Buffalo since that game is in Buffalo.

It has to be the Jets or Pats and with the Jets having played on Thanksgiving more recently, the Pats would seem the more likely choice.

17. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I do not think they will because they have played on Thanksgiving the last two trips to Detroit. I would like to see them on there though because then I know I will get to see the game.

18. patriotscpfc

patriotscpfc Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And we don't get Monday Night Football over here either.

It's a disgrace.

19. Seacoast Fan

Seacoast Fan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

I could not agree more. I dont' understand this, where the NFL is supposed to be so media- and marketing- savvy...

Thanksgiving is the one day where the NFL knows it has a captive audience and everyone, even casual fans and, really, non-fans, will have the game on. And every year, the games suck, in large part because one is in Detroit. I am 51 years old, and I can't ever remember Detroit having a team worth watching. This year, detroit in one game and the Raiders in the other...good thinking, NFL.

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, they would have had to have rotated to a different team in 2008 than they played in 2004. Whatever AFCS team Detroit hosted in 2004 on Turkey Day would have been a road game in 2008.
    If you're talking about Thanksgiving, then people are correct when they say it 100% has to be the Patriots or the Jets (assuming the NFL stays with their current schedule format and doesn't do anything radical like switch to a 17 or 18 game schedule next year - and also assuming that they maintain the tradition of Detroit hosting a Thanksgiving Day game).

Now, if memory serves, the Dallas Cowboys had the exact same choice in 2007 for Thanksgiving between the Patriots and Jets. Everyone was convinced it would be the Patriots right up until the moment the schedule came out and it was the Jets.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.