PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thanks for the memories Drew Bledsoe....

Asante4prez

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Though "old barrel legs" Drew was probably one of the most immobile quarterbacks to ever play the game, I can't help but respect the guy who year in and year out did his job regardless of the situation. Everywhere he went he was sometimes unappreciated by the fans mainly for his sometimes irrational throwing decisions and he fearlessness the long ball, even when throwing into a crowded secondary. In all seriousness, here is a guy who has had his job taken from a younger person each time (Brady,Losman, Romo) yet still went out every day and did what was expected of him. I can remember that hit that Mo Lewis delivered to Bledsoe and the nine year era that it ended. However, people forget after that hit, (that sheered a blood vessel causing some very dangerous internal bleeding that could have killed him) Bledsoe apparently wanted to go back into the game and had to be told he couldn't back onto the field by the coaching staff. Simply put, the man enjoyed playing football and in my opinion, had a respectable 14 year career. He really wasn't the most consistent of quarterback, but he had some great years for the Patriots and ultimately, he was a big reason why I began watching football. Thanks for the nine years your lead the Patriots and the love of the game that you so obviously held. Also, Thanks Drew for the memories and introducing me to a little thing called football.
:rocker:

He gave alot to the community and the fans of NE. It sure was a rollercoaster ride with him but it was great fun. Some forget some of the fantastic games he had with us and choose to remember his bad games,but that's ok. He played hard and had us knocking on the door of a championship a couple of times which is more than many many other NFL QB's have done. 7th in passing yards and 5th in completions is quite an accomplishment. And 251 TD's for 13th and isn't too shabby either.

Noteable games. Down 20-0 at the half vs Minnesota came back to win 26-0. Ended going 4-0 vs Nfc central in in 94

Bledsoe and Marino's shootout that same year in 94. We lost 39-35 but it was
it was great fun to watch.

Bledsoe's bomb to Glenn on the opening play of the Pittsburgh divisonal game in 96.

Bledsoe's extraterrestial link with Ben Coates. It was pure joy watching those two work together. Montana had Rice,Elway had Sharpe,Marino had Duper. And Bledsoe always had Coates.

Last edited:
people who don't respect the vital role Bledsoe played in shaping our beloved organization should not be allowed to call themselves patriot fans

Last edited:
How many of you would be tough enough to type in this forum with staples in your fingers - let alone grip a football and zing a laserbeam 30 yards downfield into traffic?

Yeah, Drew was tough and no one will convince me otherwise.

Not a perfect player by any stretch of the imagination, but he had what it took to strap the team on his back on more than one occasion to pull out a win.

Remember that game against the Colts in 1999 - down 28-3 at the half? Drew comes out, lights it up in the 2nd half, the defense steps up and we win 31-28.

His parents taught him that football wasn't the most important thing in the world - and he refused to beat himself up after a loss - and that's what some fans don't like about him.

So if his biggest fault is that he's a better Man than a Football player, I'm sure he can live with that.

i agree with the title of this thread: thanks for the (good) memories

you saved our franchise with yr arrival

finally we had hopes to win games and we started to be contenders

all the best Drew ! and..again: grazie !

# 11

A class act,always.I do remember that game against the Dolphins when he came and gunned the ball all over the field in '94,a great duel between Marino and Bledsoe.It started a new era for this team.Best wishes for the future,Drew.

Bledsoe certainly helped to add some credibility back to this franchise. Between him and Kraft, this franchise went from a joke to a legitimate NFL team. He was frsutrating to watch at times but I will not take that away from him.

Its so funny how you can forget somebody when you have a player like Brady coming in and taking his place. Its crazy. I actually forgot everything he has done for us. Just to show much of a business football is, that i actually forgot about a player that help build our organization. When Bledsoe came in here we were nothing. We were actually known as the pee-ons of the NFL. We were the team that could barely win a footballl game, but when Drew came in things changed. He brought that winning spirit, almost like a care free winning attitude, like he would do anything to win. As I'm typing this I just got a flash back of how lethal him and Ben Coates were. Its was awesome to watch. Bledsoe turned this team around and broke records at the same time. He is defenitley a Patriot, and see him having his number retired. He was greatly appreciated.

How many of you would be tough enough to type in this forum with staples in your fingers - let alone grip a football and zing a laserbeam 30 yards downfield into traffic?

Yeah, Drew was tough and no one will convince me otherwise.

Not a perfect player by any stretch of the imagination, but he had what it took to strap the team on his back on more than one occasion to pull out a win.

Remember that game against the Colts in 1999 - down 28-3 at the half? Drew comes out, lights it up in the 2nd half, the defense steps up and we win 31-28.

His parents taught him that football wasn't the most important thing in the world - and he refused to beat himself up after a loss - and that's what some fans don't like about him.

So if his biggest fault is that he's a better Man than a Football player, I'm sure he can live with that.

Well said.

lol, the guy's not dead you know.

this thread sounds like a eulogy.

Cut-and-pasted from a post I made to ASFPNE-P in April 2002 when Bledsoe was traded to Buffalo:

In memory of a guy who gave us great memories for several years, I wanted to start a list of Drew's greatest games as a Patriot. Hopefully, years from now the list won't be longer for the Bills (2007 edit: This last sentence is humorous in hindsight).

1. Minnesota 1994. Aside from the record-setting stats and a great comeback, this win came on the heels of a 4-game skid. This win catapulted the team from 3-6 to 10-6.

2. Indy 1999. Down 21-0 and 28-7, Bledsoe leads the comeback for a 31-28 win.

3. @Miami 1994. Sure they lost 39-35, but if you could ever point to a game where Drew seemed to be the only one to show up, this was the game. Classic shootout with Dan Marino in which the lead went back and forth. Ben Coates fumbling after a long completion sealed their fate, or else the Pats may have pulled this one out.

4. Miami 1998. The winning drive: Not one, but two fourth-down conversion tosses to Shawn Jefferson, followed by the TD to Jefferson
with a blitzer in his face...all with a freshly-broken finger on his throwing hand. Maybe Drew's best game-winning drive in his career.

5. @Giants 1996. After a horrible first half and down 22-0, Drew leads the comeback for a 23-22 win to clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs. The highlights were the 3rd-down catch by Troy Brown while laying on his back on the winning drive and the 4th-and-8 TD toss to Coates for the win.

6. Buffalo 1998. For the second week in a row, Drew's final drive led the team to victory. A crucial, albeit controversal, 4th down conversion to Shawn Jefferson set up the game-winning sequence: Toss to Glenn in the endzone with no time left - PASS INTERFERENCE - Pats get one play from the 1 yard line - Bledsoe to Coates TD!

7. @Jacksonville 1997. Against a team that was undefeated at home and a Superbowl favorite at the time, Drew led the team the length of the field right before halftime, culminating in a TD to Coates that effectively put the game away. Excellent performance in a big game setting.

8. @Buffalo 1994. Drew led the way to a 41-17 pasting of the defending 4-time AFC champion Bills, sparing them (and anyone who watches them) another painful Bills postseason. Drew appeared to convert every single 3rd down that day.

9. @Pittsburgh 1998. This one stands out for me because I watched it at a bar with way too many Steelers fans. I've never seen a crowd silenced faster than when Drew, with a blitz in his face, broken finger and all, tossed an 89 yard TD bomb to Glenn. Might be the best "Take that!" play of his career in enemy territory.

10. Buffalo 1994. On the heels of the 39-35 loss at Miami, the Pats opened the season 0-2 with a 38-35 loss to the Bills, but as was the case the week before, Drew seemed like the only guy to show up. He was a one-man show.

11. @KC 1999. Here's a game where a great final 5 minutes by Drew was undone by a shanked kick. Down 9 with 5 minutes to go and having played like crap all game, Bledsoe executes a sharp drive and gets the needed TD. The defense then holds KC and forces a punt. Drew then drives the field and puts the Pats in position to win with a 32 yard FG. Vinatieri hits the upright. If the kick is one foot to the right, chalk up another great Bledsoe comeback on his resume.

12. Green Bay 1994. Down 14-10 late, Green Bay scores a TD to take a late lead, but misses the extra point. Drew responds by driving the team down the field for the game-winning FG.

Because the competition was weak, I've deliberately left out some otherwise noteworthy games (e.g. San Diego and @Indy to open the 1997 season - otherwise known as "8 TDs to 8 different receivers") I've also left out games that I didn't see myself (e.g. Indy 1993, Miami 1993, Miami 1996, @San Diego 1996, @Baltimore 1996, @Denver 2000). I'm sure I've missed some that deserve mention. Feel free to add to the list and comment on the games I listed.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Great post Chris. That's quite a resume you built for Drew. Thanks for finding it.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back