PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank You For Your Service B.O.B. - Why Don't You Start FT at PSU Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome aboard, BigHoss.

I don't necessarily fault the play. I fault the play using MATTHEW SLATER at THAT particular time in the game, which makes it 1) predictable - he does nothing else when in on offense and 2) a predictable failure - - he had one miracle catch against the Steelers and that was it.

Run it with Tiquan Underwood or OchoCinco (if he were there), but not even under those circumstances. There were 7 minutes to go in the game. The Spikes INT MEANT something and they shiould have capitalized with what was 1) working and 2) guaranteed to take time off the clock.

Instead, they chose to ignore the clock and put all their hopes onto Matthew Slater and an already struggling Tom Brady.

Sorry, that's what the barely employed guy down at the 7-Eleven does each Friday when he sinks all his paycheck into the MegaBucks machine.

We are in agreement, then. In terms of personnel, the Patriots don't even really have anyone capable of making that play work, but if I were to be strong armed into it, I would've run it with Branch. I know he isn't that fast, but Branch is experienced enough to know to become a defensive back if he needs to. I really don't know what the hell Slater was doing on that after he saw the ball was underthrown.

Branch also had not been targeted much up to that point in the game and may have been able to get behind the defense, but running it on first down was a mistake and O'Brien was outcoached there.

Like I said, I'd have started that drive with a draw no matter what, and I'm confident it would've gotten at least 5 yards there. The Ravens were begging the Pats to go deep on first down.

So Brady should have been throwing far less over the past few years because passing the ball has worked so well?
That doesnt even make sense.

Maybe the run game was so good last night (and BTW also against Denver last week) because this OL is deeper (Cannon, Wendell, GronkBlock, Solder/Vollmer) bigger (particularly at Center) and more talented (Brian Waters for Neal, Solder for Kazcur) than ever before.
Yeah, or you could give the real reason, which is we spread them out to defend the pass.

Go ahead Andy. Have Brady go back to pass 40-50 times in the SB, with a gimpy Gronkowski, no #3 WR and the hottest pass rush DL on earth the past month bearing down on him.
Why are you asking me to call the game plan?
I guess you don't like that we couldn't line up and run straight at Bmore, and our run game was effective because of the threat of our pass game, but its still a fact.

Now, the Giants DON'T have a great secondary, so we shouldn't become one dimensional. Just don't abandon the run like we did in SB 42.
We werent close to one-dimensional yesterday

As far as I could tell that was the only play he was in for, but what does that have to do with anything?

Because that is the ONLY play he is EVER in for on offense.

Brady has targeted him 5-6 times this year on that play - it worked once - - either Pittsburgh or Philly.

Slater never comes in to do anything other than run as fast as he can downfield.

If something is predictable (i.e. Gronk 3rd and 5 in the red zone or BJGE with Polite in the backfield on the 2 yard line) at least have a viable player in there to make the play.

Slater is an excellent STer. He is a sacrificial lamb as a WR.

Would have been better off having Brady quick kick it.

See I'd think it was a great play design if it took 2 defenders covering Slater away from the rest of the play, if Brady had only made a good decision.
Brady's first read should not have been Slater, Brady's second read should not have been Slater, Brady's third read should not have been Slater. It's a great play design if Slater is NOTHING MORE THAN A DECOY!

As far as I could tell that was the only play he was in for, but what does that have to do with anything?
Slater on the field for only one play tips off the opposing defense.

But thats the point. It was a pass play that attacked the defense by running one receiver deep.
The play call didn't force Brady to throw it to a double covered receiver.
Most of the rest of what you typed was BS anyway.

What was BS about any of the facts I listed?

If you make a statement, back it up.

I'll help you. here is that post in it's entirety:

"No.

Any play with......

- MATTHEW SLATER going deep

- with a 3 point lead

- in the AFCCG

- on a day where Brady was having difficulty hitting the side of a barn

- with SEVEN MINUTES TO GO

- against a team we were owning on the ground

......is a terrible play call.

But nice try attempting to spin it out of recognition with "So any play where one receiver runs a deep post is a terrible play call?"

Last edited:
this is really a disgraceful thread. you make it to the superbowl and you ask the offense coordinator to leave. sure everybody gets frustrated but you get the victory and ask BoB to leave. why not just ask BB to leave too?

They have done this all year long, BOB has always been overrated IMO, we never care because Brady doesn't often have a 60 QB rating, that exposes the play calling.

Wait. Brady showing bad judgement and/or executing poorly "exposes the play calling" as bad?

So, if I drive my car at 60 mph over black ice and end up in the ditch, I blame the manufacturer's design?

Would have been better off having Brady quick kick it.
Would have been better off to run BJGE into the line of scrimmage three straight times, take time off the clock, and allow the New England Patriots defense a well deserved break.

Wait. Brady showing bad judgement and/or executing poorly "exposes the play calling" as bad?

So, if I drive my car at 60 mph over black ice and end up in the ditch, I blame the manufacturer's design?

The intent of the play was definitely to hit a big play deep, that was obvious. It was just too predictable.

Yes, Brady could have checked off - which he should have from the get-go - but he didn't. But make no mistake, they had intent to stretch the field and hit a big play to capitalize on the turnover.

It was a mistake by O'Brien in that he ran a play in which the primary read was deep and it was covered even before the snap. He didn't do anything to lull the Ravens defense, he allowed them to get the jump on him, not the other way around.

It was bad situational playcalling by O'Brien, not bad playcalling in general.

Some of the fault also lies with Brady, it was a bad read and if he really had his mind made up that he was going with his first read regardless of coverage, that deserves a big "Yikes"...

Also, some of the blame should be shouldered by Slater. At some point you need to recognize the coverage the defense is in, realize you're not open, realize the ball is underthrown and get in the middle of those guys and knock it away.

As I said earlier in the thread, this would have been a great playcall on second and 3 or 4.

this is really a disgraceful thread. you make it to the superbowl and you ask the offense coordinator to leave. sure everybody gets frustrated but you get the victory and ask BoB to leave. why not just ask BB to leave too?

BB has ONE employer.

BB is not concerned with National Letter of Intent Day on Wednesday February 1st.

Any further out of context questions?

Last edited:
shmessy, I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan on here who sees this. People love to talk about how we're a "game plan team." Well, if that's the case our game plan against the Giants needs to be to run the f'in ball.

Would have been better off to run BJGE into the line of scrimmage three straight times, take time off the clock, and allow the New England Patriots defense a well deserved break.

I strongly disagree with this. With a 10 or even 7 point lead, sure. Not with a 3 point lead.

The need was there to at least take a chance at capitalizing on the turnover.

As I said, a draw on first down would've been the ideal call, then you can call the rest of the drive based on how successful you are on first down. You shouldn't limit yourself by taking the chance on first down when it will be there later in the drive.

Pretty much how i see it. I'm sure there is a deep route in the design of most if not all the Patriots offensive plays so having that option is routine. However, even though I can see why Brady and BOB might be expecting the ravens to stack the run and called a bomb Brady should have changed it at the line or once he saw Slater covered, that he didn't do either i put on him and not BOB. Brady can always check out and he made the decision to go deep when all is said and done.

On the other hand it was one call out of many during a big game they won, so i don't really care at all and i'm just happy they won. Amazing that anyone can be negative after a win like that.

BB has ONE employer.

BB is not concerned with National Letter of Intent Day on Wednesday February 1st.

NEM, is that you?

No.

Any play with......

- MATTHEW SLATER going deep

- with a 3 point lead

- in the AFCCG

- on a day where Brady was having difficulty hitting the side of a barn

- with SEVEN MINUTES TO GO

- against a team we were owning on the ground

......is a terrible play call.

I will say it was so predictable that it drew a lot of attention deep. Brady had a clean pocket and a clear throwing lane to Welker who cleared to his right. A simple completion that gets at least 5 yds and probably close to 10. The Pats stay on schedule, the clock keeps moving and Flacco starts thinking more about his pending contract year than going to the Super Bowl.

So I don't mind running Slater deep as a decoy...just don't ever throw to him since nobody will ever allow him to get behind the defense. If Pollard can get back to defend, that means he had a 10 yd head start and was running back at the snap.

Fully agree. My line about the Brady quick kick was sarcasm with a hint of honesty. At least the quick kick would not have gotten the run back and may have caused confusion with the thick-headed Ravens players where it could have turned into a touch-fumble situation.

A quick kick would have been a HORRIBLE call - - fully agree. Slightly less horrible, however, than throwing a bomb at that juncture to Matthew Slater in double coverage on 1st and 10 from the 50.

Last edited:
I'm "blaming" someone else because the call was terrible. There are two separate issues here:

1.) Play call

2.) Play execution

Both were terrible. The second issue is on Brady. The first issue is on BOB.

This makes it sound as if throwing the go-route to Slater was the only play sent out from the sidelines. I'm sure it was only part of a mix of options that included some form of run, throwing to someone else, etc. I'm also sure that there was a caveat on the option to Slater - something like, "If it's there, go for it; but, if it's not . . . ." It wasn't there, but Brady went for it anyway. Execution certainly wasn't perfect on either end, however, IIRC, the two Ravens defenders BOTH had to make outstanding plays to come up with a pick. If either one of them is something LESS than outstanding on that play, it's Pats ball, 2nd-and-10 from the 50 at worst.

And absolutely ZERO of that is on BoB. None of it. Nada. Unless one thinks the OC should never include a potential "kill shot" in the mix because of the inherent risk factors.

shmessy, I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan on here who sees this. People love to talk about how we're a "game plan team." Well, if that's the case our game plan against the Giants needs to be to run the f'in ball.

The gameplan should always hinge on the running game. However, just because the Giants' pass rush and secondary are their strengths doesn't mean the Pats are going to run all over them. I'm sure the Giants are aware of their strengths and weaknesses, their gameplan will be to stop the run.

The Patriots need to use the Giants' aggressiveness against them with 3-step drops, quick hitters, shovel passes, middle screens, straight up screens... That stuff should be set up by the inside and outside zone and plenty of draws on first and second down.

BB has ONE employer.

it seems to me Brady made those decisions. and it is BB fault if you are insinuating that BoB can't do the job. BB could let BoB go but he chooses to keep him.

So I'm sorry if you think you know more than BB. and that's in text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back