PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank You For Your Service B.O.B. - Why Don't You Start FT at PSU Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask Kyle Williams if the NY Giants got any lucky breaks last night.
I know they did, in the SB years of the past We have Plenty of lucky breaks......I'd rather be lucky than good. Oh and I Did think the ball touched his knee ever so slightly, i was rooting for the Niners so i wanted called in the niners favor.

Last edited:
I don't understand why we stopped running the ball with BJGE when we got down into the red zone yesterday either. But, other than that, I thought the game plan was fine. The Ravens are a ridiculously good defense and ridiculously good defenses can make even the best offensive game plans look bad.

The bomb call was monumentally stupid, but the people crying for the running game are missing part of the equation. The reason the running game was working was because of how it was being used. If the Patriots had used it differently, it would likely not have worked as well.

Agreed. But the decision to go there had more to do with Brady. He could have thrown the ball away. Every time Matthew Slater comes into the game on offense, we're telegraphing what we're trying to do. Any team that's studied film on the Pats all year knows that Slater can only run one route, and that's the go-route.

Agreed. But the decision to go there had more to do with Brady. He could have thrown the ball away. Every time Matthew Slater comes into the game on offense, we're telegraphing what we're trying to do. Any team that's studied film on the Pats all year knows that Slater can only run one route, and that's the go-route.

And the Ravens were ready for it...who are they kidding?

I hated the overall game plan on offense. Too many empty sets. Too many predictable play calls (Slater only does 2 things...block and go deep).

The Ravens (particularly their LBs and safeties) didn't have much indecision in their drops. Ideally you want them to hesitate and stand still/step up to address run fakes. With an empty set, they have one less thing to worry about since Brady isn't leaving the pocket.

Also didn't like making Ridley inactive. I understand he has fumbled, but he is the only runner they have (pending Vereen) that can threaten outside the numbers. His first fumble was a concentration error but his second one was just trying too hard for minimal extra yards. I'm hoping he has served his penance and will be active for the Super Bowl.

Despite this, the OL generally gave Brady all the time he needed to be successful. His arm and brain were off yesterday. With a typical Brady effort, that game wouldn't have been in doubt in the 4th quarter. That being said, BOB should have recognized the situation and called plays to build efficiency and momentum...not attack a Ravens defense that was sitting back protecting downfield throws.

I actually love the way the Pats won though. The Pats won 2 phases of the game...ST despite the fumble and defense. Same as Denver but this time they really needed it to win. That should help Brady focus on being efficient and not worry about dueling Goober Jr to protect the defense.

Last edited:
It's clear that you don't understand that the Playbook is Belichick's. And he developed it a long time ago. He's been adding to it ever since. The OCs run what's in the playbook with only minor tweaks.

I'm aware of the playbooks origin and final destination, just clowning on Billy O.:bricks:

Dont know why we always blame everyone else but brady. Brady deserves as much blame for this play. He is no longer a 1st yr QB or flacco for that matter who has to call whatever his OC calls.

Dont know why we always blame everyone else but brady. Brady deserves as much blame for this play. He is no longer a 1st yr QB or flacco for that matter who has to call whatever his OC calls.

I'm "blaming" someone else because the call was terrible. There are two separate issues here:

1.) Play call

2.) Play execution

Both were terrible. The second issue is on Brady. The first issue is on BOB.

Last edited:
The other play that I shook my head at was just north of the 2 minute warming you pick up 7 yards on first. You have to snap the ball again but the clock is stopping no matter what. So they run a sweep and lose yards. I thought that was the perfect place to run play action and then hit one of the receivers on a short and safe pass. I always think to the clip of BB in one of the America's games saying know the situation. Clearly B'OB didn't.

I was deflated after the Slater-pass-INT but was just plain angry that we were unable to get that crucial first down.

Had we got that first down - and hopefully a couple more downs - we would have ended the game with our O having the possession that translates into an emphatic W against a top D.

Separate query: how about the decision to take the knee when there was 58 seconds in the clock before the first half ended?

I understand that we got the ball on the 10 yard line and that the Ravens had two time-outs and that we were getting the ball back in the second half. But, instead of playing it safe, couldn't we have attempted one or two plays to see if we can get to near the FG range before deciding to take the knee? I was really hoping for another 3 pts and then heading into the second half with more confidence.

Don't get me wrong - I am delighted with the win and a chance to avenge the last two losses to the Gints! I am more psyched to see TB promise that he's not going to repeat this and so for some reason quite confident that we are going to pull it off in two weeks. That doesn't stop me from pondering over the decisions last eve.

GO PATS!!

What I don't understand is why we must take an RB out of play after 2 touches no matter how well he is doing. If it is a way of being unpredictable, it is not working.

Also, whatever the play-calling was, Brady was not helping his team yesterday. He missed a few clear opportunities. What was it, one or two interceptions that got cancelled due to penalties? It was pretty clear that he wanted to be the hero and understood that the team pulled through despite his many mistakes. Ravens did a great job in coverage (except when Brady just plain missed the target).

Ravens did their part in not capitalizing on our mistakes too. Dropping passes, canceling interceptions, going for it when a field goal was for the taking, missing field goals etc. In a game of poor offensive execution, we got more lucky than they did. I will take it!

I'm "blaming" someone else because the call was terrible. There are two separate issues here:

1.) Play call

2.) Play execution

Both were terrible. The second issue is on Brady. The first issue is on BOB.

They were both on Brady.. He's the one who made the call for the deep pass. Granted, Slater was on the field, but Brady went from the running play to the deep pass.

After reading this thread hard to believe that we are on a ten game winning streak, going to the Superbowl and have averaged 30+ points a game...

As much as I did not care for the game plan, from my couch it seemed that Tom was a little off... we also do not know all of the subtleties of this game.
That wasn't the case the last time the New England Patriots played in the 2007 AFC Championship Game. Tom Brady had an off day against the San Diego Chargers at Foxboro, MA. Josh McDaniels decided to lean more on Laurence Maroney running the football in the second half of the game, as well as short passes to Kevin Faulk out of the backfield.

I'm sorry, but that was a ridiculously badly called offensive game yesterday.

BJGE/Woody and the OL are PLOWING the Ravens down the middle consistently - - - so let's go AWAY from that!

Let's start lofting post passes to midget Julian Edelman!!!

The Pats D FINALLY gets the big key INT turnover with 7 minutes to go in the game at the 50 yd line. Yeah, don't take time off the clock with the punishing run game - - have Brady heave it up in double coverage to......get this - - - 5 foot zero Safety Matthew Slater.

I think Josh can handle things from here. We need a FULL-TIME OC.

I was SHOCKED when i saw that play. SHOCKED. I was less shocked they called it(i like the idea of going for their throats after the turnover), but completely shocked that Brady threw it! That being said, my hopes are that they got ALL of their bad plays, play calls and decision OUT yesterday and now we can focus on the SUPERBOWL!!! :)

I'm STILL so freakin' happy about this WIN!!

The Giants have actually been defending the run much better lately. But I agree, the running game should be used much more in this game.
San Francisco 49ers - 150 yards rushing on 28 carries.

I'm sorry, but that was a ridiculously badly called offensive game yesterday.

BJGE/Woody and the OL are PLOWING the Ravens down the middle consistently - - - so let's go AWAY from that!
Have you considered that we ran effectively BECAUSE we were using the run sparingly?

Let's start lofting post passes to midget Julian Edelman!!!

The Pats D FINALLY gets the big key INT turnover with 7 minutes to go in the game at the 50 yd line. Yeah, don't take time off the clock with the punishing run game - - have Brady heave it up in double coverage to......get this - - - 5 foot zero Safety Matthew Slater.

I think Josh can handle things from here. We need a FULL-TIME OC.
The announcers talked about the team working on that play in practice.
Since Slater has played about 8 snaps all year, clearly there was a decision that the entire coaching staff came to that he should be the guy.
The play call wasn't throw it deep to Slater, the play call was a group of routes that included Slater going deep, and it was Brady who decided to throw to Slater.

Other than that, not sure why you are criticizing an offensive game plan that put up 23 points on a good D and had 5 10+ play drives against a D that hadn't allowed more than 2 to anyone all year.

Oh, and we won

With BOB as OC NEP we are 29-6

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back