Welcome to PatsFans.com

Texting Driver Gets 1 Year Prison

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Jun 6, 2012.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

An 18 year old Mass. kid got 1 year in prison for killing a person while driving and texting. In addition, he will lose his licence for 15 years. What is the punishment for drivers who are caught texting, probably not enough. Yesterday, I saw a kid behind me texting (easy to spot as they have thier head down). I was going to purposely miss the green arrow and see if he honked. Then, I would have gotten out of my car. Walked back to his and told him I wanted to make sure he had enough time to text his message.

Massachusetts teen convicted of homicide in texting-while-driving case - CNN.com

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This tragedy got a lot of national attention.

Sometimes I think that, statistically speaking, you're better off looking at the driver next to you and seeing a beer in his hand instead of a cell phone.

3. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A coupel of weeks ago i was driving through an intersection when a girl walked out in front of me, i had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting her. She was texting and wasn't paying attention to the lights. When i gave her the ( what the fck are you doing) look she just looked at me like "whats the matter with you" and continued texting. Social Darwinism.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Interesting. Locally a guy just got just 30 days for driving excess speed(over 100 mph) resulting in an accident that killed his girlfriend. A year in jail and the loss of his license for 15 years seems excessive though i understand a message needs to be sent(not a text ;-)). A week ago I saw a middle age lady talking on her cell phone blow by a stopped school bus with it's red lights flashing. She had no clue what she had just done.

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

I think texting while driving should be treated like drunk driving.

6. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

In some ways it's worse -- not only are you not even looking at the road, as I think somebody mentioned, but it's a deliberate act by somebody whose judgment isn't impaired. So the intent / mental capacity is worse, as is the impairment of the driver.

7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

And then we can further privatize the prison system that will burst at the seams, yes? Win-win.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

The simple, most cost effective answer is utilizing current technology to render cell phones inoperable when driving a vehicle...

9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +567 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Good! Hope to see more driving-texters go to jail....the charge should simply be "Extreme idiocy"! That's good enough for me.

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +567 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I am 100% supporter of no cell phone use while driving...as in none at all including hands-free, blue tooth.

There is clearly no need to talk on the phone while driving a automobile.

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +567 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Just take away their liscence when caught....simple at that.

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -10

With all the gadgets and technology that is used today in this world there must be somebody that can invent a phone that becomes Useless as soon as you enter a vehicle, then stop selling the current phones.

They will never stop the arrogant stupid morons from using their phones while driving they are the same type of people that look for parking spots that say "No Parking" then thats where they park.

Something else about The Good Old Days, we never even had a phone in our house, our parents would yell out the window to some kid and use the kid as a messenger, it would cost you "Two Cents" for the kid to deliver the message of course if you wanted to send a message to the next city it would cost you a dime, it would take the kid all day to deliver the f-cking message.

God Willing we will stop this texting sh!t.

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

At what point are drunk drivers sent to prison?

if first offense, I think that's wrong for both DUI and texting. But repeat offenders are clear dangers to other people -- and prison overcrowding isn't a reason to ignore that.

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

That will happen as soon as they make radios illegal...

People will have legitimate objections that (i) that would also keep passengers from using phones and (ii) it would keep people from using their phones in cases of emergency.

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

But you're fine with other talking, and everything else people do while driving?

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

There is always a way of getting around most of this stuff.. this technology is readily available..

US agency calls for disabling phones while driving - Technolog on msnbc.com

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

re the bold, just an aside: there is now a company (probably companies) that offers a service, "Parker," to tell you where there are available spaces in the area. of course, this requires sensors in the ground, which requires government cooperation -- and that is happening.

Now, that all sounds like a good way to make people's lives a little easier. Except, how often will the people using Parker be alone in their car, looking at their phone as they drive? I can't give an estimate, but I expect it will be a lot. Sure, some people will have friends in the car who'll do it, and oithers will be responsible and pull over to check it.

But what I fully expect to see (this is being put in around me) are people driving fairly slowly, clogging up traffic, with their eyes on their phones instead of the road -- in an area that is dense not only with traffic but also with pedestrians, cyclists, skateboarders, joggers, etc.

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

I'm not questioning the technology, just pointing out the issues that will prevent it from happening, along with the inconsistency many people seem to have when it comes to phones (versus, say, radios).

(just to be clear, I'm not saying texting -- I view talking on a phone, or to a passenger, as very different from texting)

19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

Using something like the Sync system to talk to someone is very different than removing a hand from the wheel to control a phone of taking your eyes off the road to dial and text IMO.

20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

They should ban radios in cars, too. Not CD players- just radios. I heard Tony Mazarotti say something the other day that was so FREAKING stupid that I almost drove off the road. I coulda DIED!