Welcome to PatsFans.com

Texting craze: someone please explain this

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#61 Jersey
    Just heard a report that the average teenager sends about 3,000-plus text messages a month, and that actual phone calls have gone down about 15 percent across the board. WHY are people texting vs. actually speaking to each other on the phone? I don't do texting. What is the appeal?
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

:rofl: My wife posed the same question ...

It's easy ... teenagers today roll in bigger tribes than we did. By utilizing texting they can process more information between the maximum amount of people at the same time ... also within a greater geographical area.

This generation is more prone to share their daily life than we were ...
    Phone calls decrease that information exchange process.
  3. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I dont get it. We went from telegraph to telephone to message machines to cell phones to these I phones capable of skype and face to face communication to...the telegraph revisited?

Sure texting can be shared to multiples. But what happened to personal communication?
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    When I got my iPhone I didn't get the unlimited text plan. My belief is no one over 30 texts. And I'm definitely over 30. But, now that my boss has a Blackberry he texts me. And my friends (who are older than me) are starting to text me more. Even my bank texts me every time I log into online banking (But that's a security feature I enabled). So inevitably I end up texting a few times a week. But, I'm still not into it and can't say I ever will be.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#54 Jersey
    Eh, beats me. I'm 30, and I'm not a big texter. I use Skype on my laptop now and again, but I decided a few years ago that if I could, I would unplug from the world, including and especially texting. Unless my work demands require it, I'm unhooked.
  6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I don't send that many texts per month, but I prefer to text before actually talking to someone (unless I haven't talked to them in a while). This is the best I can do...

1. Privacy while hanging around other people.

2. It's actually easier and quicker to send a text than it is to call someone and convey a ton of information about something once you get used to it.

3. You can text in more places than you can call someone (i.e. - class, work, movies, etc.).

4. By texting, you can carry on multiple conversations at once where you can't do that when you call someone.

5. Sexting.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

We went from very limited texts on our cell phone plan to 1500 texts per month to unlimited texts per month in a year's time. Much of it has to do with placing my youngest son on our phone plan. He seems to have no problem sending/receiving 2500+ messages per month.

I seldom used it before - but now that we're "unlimited" I find myself texting much more frequently.

I wouldn't necessarily call one of my kids to remark on a football score - but I do text a "Ha-Ha" or a "Darn it" after games which are important to one or both of us. A text is less threatening, I think. They can answer or ignore and it doesn't matter either way. I'm not being a "bothersome" mom but I am giving them the opportunity to remember my existance. :)

Phone calls can be intrusive - texts, not so much.
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#61 Jersey
    This is the aspect I don't understand. If one wants to convey information, isn't actual voice communication both more efficient and more personal (personable)? There seems to be an odd sociological aspect to texting that makes people one step removed on a personal level where they're avoiding the give-and-take of REAL conversation.
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

That depends, I think.

I can think of a few circumstances where texting would be far more efficient - for instance if you are looking to get someone else's phone number or an address or any information that you'd need to write down.

I like texting because the information remains available. I don't have to worry about forgetting what someone told me regarding a time or a place - all I have to do is not delete the text until I either copy the information or until it's no longer needed.

Plus, no one can ever say, "You never told me that," because with a text message, unlike a phone conversation, you can prove you did.

:)
  10. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

These. At least, for myself, and probably more of the "older" people. Younger kids... they seem to have full out conversations via text which makes no sense to me. A quick comment, a question, sure I can see the logic in that. In a place where you need to be quiet but need to talk? Ok. But sitting there, doing nothing else, but having a half hour text conversation... wtf? Call the person, talk for 10 minutes, and move on with your day!
    My pet peeve is when the texting takes priority over having a conversation with the people you are with.
    The majority of my personal texting is either the above two things (getting a start time for poker or laughing when the Dolphins lose) or sending dirty/funny pictures. I'd say I go through maybe 50-100 a month. 3000+ just seems impossible.
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Also, as has been touched on, a lot of people get unlimited texting (me) but only get something like 1500 anytime minutes on their cell phones.

For another, the younger girls love to do it. Since my girlfriend is 20, I usually end up texting to her a lot (when we're both at work, both at class, or just apart from one another and cannot carry on a conversation).
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

I can stay in touch with my 23 year old son and 24 year old daughter better by texting ... this is their medium and it is less intrusive. I get some answered and some ignored ... i make sure to never text them in the evening because I feel that would be intrusive and perhaps a bit over the top. Young people are nocturnal by nature .. that is their time. I don't always know where they are ... texting is safe as their friends don't have to know it's dad on the screen.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    You and your wife should call them and scream "I LOVE YOU!!" at night when they're hanging out with their friends. :cool:
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

My son's phone called the house one night when he was getting a hummer :eek:... hit the speed dial I guess ... my wife answered :bricks:... oh it was classic. :p
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

ROFLMAO I can only imagine.

I was working the midnight shift in the ER one night when our EMS radio went off - only it wasn't an ambulance run. It was two medics from a private ambulance service sitting in their rig (well, maybe not sitting in it.) It was set on "all frequency" which meant the transmission was going off to everyone with a radio or a scanner in a very large area. (All fire departments, all hospitals, all police departments, all ambulances for maybe 6 or 7 towns.) It also meant that no one could get through to them to shut the darn thing off, either, since it was keyed to "Mic" and was not open to "Receive."

It would have been hysterical except for the fact that both occupants of the ambulance were married - one to another medic and one to a police officer.

The key word in this story is "was married."