Welcome to PatsFans.com

Textbooks being rewritten in Texas, include the Conservatives, exclude who???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 23, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

Maybe Texas should secede from the Union, take their Dallas Cowboys with them.. without regard, interest piece on how the State Board of Education wants to rewrite history... include the Newts, Rush's and the rest of the crew, but exclude any sense of balance...

I know there will be the knee jerk response that all textbooks are already liberal and this is payback, but this seems a lot strange...

Textbooks being written for Texas kids appear to lean to the right | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

Berkley, Cambridge, NY, VERMONT, Frisco, Hollywood.

The Liberal
    From coast to coast the Liberal hooted cheered and laughed when the Left Wing College loons threw the Pie at Ann Coulter but they wanted the poor wrinkled old lady who dared to stand up and yell at Rat Face Specter hung by the neck until she was dead......

Like it or not Texas is part of America and they have the same rights those friggin Batty Bastards out in Frisco & Berkley do.

DEPORT AUNT ZUCCHINI
    STOP THE WAR THE HELL WITH AFGHANISTAN
    CLOSE GITMO PUT THEM IN A REAL PRISON
    OBAMA IS BUSH
    OBAMA STAY AWAY FROM MY DOCTOR

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

And this has to do with rewriting history how???

4. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +114 / 8 / -7

Its wrong to sway the still developing opinions of students in such a way. They have the right to learn from an objective viewpoint on our history and then decide what they believe in.

But how can you act like this is isolated? My highschool had a lot of liberal teachers and it showed in how they taught US history. It wasn't too overt like the example in Texas but it wasn't hard to be aware and locate the bias in their teaching.

Not to mention a lot of colleges are recruiting grounds of the left.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. makoute

makoute In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +84 / 2 / -0

How did it manifest itself?

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +366 / 9 / -13

If you want to be informed on this issue you might try either "One Party Classroom" or "Indocrinate U" by David Horowitz, They do a great job of explaining left wing bias on the campus.

You might also observe the political biases of the teachers unions on policies. Very left wing.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

Does this justify the actions of the Texas School Board, or is it another attempt to hijack the thread..

Teachers unions are not as big a culprit as you would like to believe...

8. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do as I say, not as I do.

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +366 / 9 / -13

I haven't read the text in question so I don't know if the criticism is legit or not.

I enjoy the wining about conservative bias in one case when the education establishment nationwide is dominated by liberals.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,786 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

But it's not objective ... it's all slanted left.
    Not sure it matters really as the country is more than 50% to the right.

We need more emphasis on the "3 R's" ... that's what we need.

11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,786 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Well Harry it's nice to see you were not one of the 2 who got swept off that rock today. Maine hurricane noobs???

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,786 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Symbolism over substance ...

13. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Stating the truth.

We are in an uproar over what is being taught...I'm more outraged over how out of date stuff is that is being taught. I don't care if it's left leaning...I just want my niece and nephew to learn from a book that is form the last few years and not over a decade ago like I had to learn from.

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

The reality is that what teachers actually say in a class cannot be controlled, unless it is extreme... but to actually write bias in a text or adapt it as a policy ( curriculum) does not resemble any semblance of balance.

Teachers unions have little to do with this, as they do not dictate what is taught in classes... nor do they dictate curriculum.

In the early 90's my daughter was in HS and I took a look at her Am. History Book and was surprised that there was about one third of one page dedicated to what happened in the 60's, Viet Nam, Civil Rights, Women's Rights, political unrest and all...

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +977 / 2 / -9

They do it in Cape Elizabeth too, they try to get as close to the water as they can then the Sneak Wave grabs them, I think a little kid died in yesterdays incident, a lot of crap came ashore on my beach during this one, lobster buoys, old chair, a motorcycle and a dead monkey.

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +707 / 20 / -30

Whats for dinner Harry???

17. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I teach at a few online colleges, and there's nothing that makes me more angry than someone trying to sway students to any political opinion. I never express political opinions or sway students when they express theirs. Going to a public university for 6+ years, I saw plenty of left-wing bias. I had a college professor openly tell our class to vote for Bill Bradley in the 2000 primary because he was the best candidate. I know there's other places that will obviously have right-wing bias, and I don't like that either.

It's really a shame, and it denigrates our quality of education.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Textbooks will be a thing of the past very soon.

Textbooks No Longer Necessary: Alternative Resources for Learning Make Texts Obsolete | Suite101.com

Could you imagine not lugging around a backpack bulging with textbooks? Or not paying hundreds for textbooks only to sell them back to get a measly $50? Well, that future could be now. It’s hard to imagine textbooks becoming obsolete, but a new push by Amazon could make it so. According to Min Online, Amazon is working with McGraw-Hill to bring Kindle into the college textbook market. What is Kindle? Kindle is a small device, somewhat like a computer, but just used for reading. It has a 6-inch display. Amazon is working with textbook publisher McGraw-Hill to add some of its best-selling college textbooks in downloadable digital form for the Kindle. Students could purchase the digital form of textbooks at a much lower price. How low? That’s not known, yet. But what is known is that such an option could really catch on with college students.

ezonlinedegrees - College textbooks obsolete?

19. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did you ever think that maybe theres a reason its dominated by liberals? Did you every ask why educated people tend to lean that way, towards the party that preaches tolerance, and open minds, instead of the one that preaches hate and division?

20. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Textbooks won't go away until colleges stop making as*loads of money on them.