PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Text of Goodell statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to Goodell's statement on this?? Tried to search find on here and on the web...but...no luck...thanks...wish to read ALL he said on this...

Last edited:
Thanx, God of Wrath !
Been wanting that text all afternoon.

(Nifty name, btw. Better than just plain ol' Dies Irae.)

thank you!!!!! I have looked and..never found it..as I wanted to READ carefully what he said..important to see what words he used..etc.. THANKS!!!

blah blah blah, BB is the antichrist, blah blah blah, Kraft is a powerful owner, so I wont be too harsh, blah blah blah...

Perhaps he felt that the videographer wouldn't be accesable during the game therfore "any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game" gave him an out.

Sorry, but this quotes the letter from Goodell, but does not show the complete text as far as I can see. We don't know what was left out.

Also, Goodell's memo referenced in this article seems to expand the actual NFL rule. Does he have the authority to expand the rule without a vote by the owners?

If I received a memo expanding the scope of a rule, I would consider it to be his opinion or misunderstanding of the actual rule. Several posters have listed the actual rule and it does reference equipment other than polaroid cameras (paraphrasing here.) That would indicate to me that taking Polaroids is OK with the league and all this hoopla is about the video method rather than the quest for fairness and balance. To me the most infuriating part of all this is the pretense that this is about cheating. The NFL has stated its OK to cheat using Polaroids, you just can't be more efficient and use video. Sorry, but that's like being a little pregnant IMO.

No where with the exception of BB's statement did I hear "did not affect the outcome of the game" part of the NFL's statement. ESPN and the most of the lops in the media conveniently left that part out (unless I missed those outlets that did make that clear). Yellow journalism 101; leave out parts of the facts that don't support the big scoop! Since we were being accused of cheating, against the Jets most specifically, one would think the investigative body's press release saying in fact no cheating occurred against the Jets would be of some reporting worthiness. Putrid is what I call it never mind the problems I have with the NFL's statement in general.

That would indicate to me that taking Polaroids is OK with the league and all this hoopla is about the video method rather than the quest for fairness and balance. To me the most infuriating part of all this is the pretense that this is about cheating. The NFL has stated its OK to cheat using Polaroids, you just can't be more efficient and use video. Sorry, but that's like being a little pregnant IMO.
I am not sure video is more efficient at obtaining and deciphering signals than having a coach with binoculars....everyone seems to think it is..because technology is better...BUT...it just isn't. A coach with binoculars can have signals figyred out by the end of the 1st quarter or half time...THAt is what Shannie said his guy did...(ref SI Jan 02 article..) Can video do it faster?? What..is the guy (not a coach) looking at things and reviewing teh same time he is shooting?? For getting it done at halftime, it's even more silly...reviewing 20-30 plays..and matching with Poloroids in 12 minutes?? Maybe in 2-3 hrs..but PLEASE..everyone seems to think if it's video and such it's magic..The Patriots did NOT use video for that use..the mechabics and logistics do not make any sense..NONE..no one has explained HOW it can be done..WHat I DO believe is that they were using the video for archiving purposes ..a breakdown later...video does have better quality, but for doing it quick..it's a joke!!!! Part of the big lie the media is telling..and people are swallowing...totally silly. I will take a coach with bioculars..and I bet BB would.
Other purposes.

Sorry, but this quotes the letter from Goodell, but does not show the complete text as far as I can see. We don't know what was left out.

Also, Goodell's memo referenced in this article seems to expand the actual NFL rule. Does he have the authority to expand the rule without a vote by the owners?

If I received a memo expanding the scope of a rule, I would consider it to be his opinion or misunderstanding of the actual rule. Several posters have listed the actual rule and it does reference equipment other than polaroid cameras (paraphrasing here.) That would indicate to me that taking Polaroids is OK with the league and all this hoopla is about the video method rather than the quest for fairness and balance. To me the most infuriating part of all this is the pretense that this is about cheating. The NFL has stated its OK to cheat using Polaroids, you just can't be more efficient and use video. Sorry, but that's like being a little pregnant IMO.

It's an excellent point......... That thought rolled through my brain too, you articulated well. Its kinda parsing in a way, but why not..

Seriously, it's a fair point. I work in a Law enforcement field and we have tons of procedural edicts that we must follow. We also get tons of clarifying memos from the bosses to that remind us of things, rules, issues we need to focus one (particularly when one of us eff's one of them up :rolleyes: )

Often, these clarifying memo's contradict the initial procedural process. We're always told you always must go back to the procedural process as the end-all, and to view the memo as a guide or instruction, not the procedure itself when determining if you are acting correctly.

In this case, it doesn't matter, because BB clearly violated the process.

However, it's quite telling that the memo was discussed in the statement. The fine, the pick and the punishment........... IMO has as much to do with BB apparently thumbing his nose at the NFL, then it does with the infraction. The NFL was annoyed with his attitude.

Goodell punished by emotion, not by the transgression. In other words: Judicial Activism................ which tells me, he is short for this world as a NFL Commish.

Last edited:
Goodell did the right thing.

He has the reputation of one of the worlds largest entertainment institutions to uphold, and with the recent disgraces of player actions off the field, steroids and spygate - swift and decisive action was appropriate.

The NFL is competitive enough, there's no room for cheaters.

This is much bigger than the Patriots and the now forever tarnished Superbowl wins, it's about upholding and maintaining the credibility and integrity of the NFL.

Hey LEMMING, get a clue............ I know you want to push that "cheating" word real hard as a way to deny the inevitable....... You guys are not very good and you've done, and do the exact same thing we do (including the videotaping). The head of your video department used to have Estrella's job when he was here. He trained Estrella to do it. Do you now think he doesn't do it?

Get a clue............. Remember, you are the pathetic slob that came here to gloat and feel better about yourself. You won't catch 99% of the REAL members of this board over at your pathetic teams site......... because quite frankly, you don't really matter very much to us.

Way to follow the flock....... :singing:

11409_Lemmings_lkugiutry_qjgenth.jpg

Last edited:
Goodell did the right thing.

He has the reputation of one of the worlds largest entertainment institutions to uphold, and with the recent disgraces of player actions off the field, steroids and spygate - swift and decisive action was appropriate.

The NFL is competitive enough, there's no room for cheaters.

This is much bigger than the Patriots and the now forever tarnished Superbowl wins, it's about upholding and maintaining the credibility and integrity of the NFL.
Well..if there's no room for cheaters..there is NO NFL..every team cheats!!! The NFL upholds cheating..some ways OK others not..Goodell screwed himself by being bullied by Polien and Fisher..and teh media who has blown this out of proportyion..There is nothing tarnished about any Supoerbowl wins....it's only losers like you who have no brains who think that...If anyone is to blame for this..it's Mangina..who broke teh code of silence on thsi..Pandorra's Box open...THAT in fact will tarnish the league..a LOT!!

Please keep this up -- nothing is more funny than Pat*fan* in denial. Here are the facts:

Goodell's letter says this:

NFL policy states that “no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game” and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes “must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.”

In a memo to NFL head coaches and general managers on September 6, 2006, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson said, “Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.”

No ambiguity there -- Belichick had a Pat* cameraman on the sidelines videotaping the opponent's defensive signals.

Goodell then concludes:

“This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,” Commissioner Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.

"calculated and deliberate" attempt to avoid the rules -- that's "cheating"

http://www.bartleby.com/61/34/C0263400.html

INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud. 2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

But what Goodell didn't refer too is that in the CONSTITION and LEAGUE BYLAWS. It also says.

Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.

That means that there are two separate "rules" that govern taping behavior. BB, obviously thinking he had a loophole, choose to use the one that in essence allows the very behavior he wanted to partake in. If this was a court of law, given the two contradictory rules, you bet your ASS, he stood a GOOD chance of "beating the rap".

GOODELL, supremely pissed that BB thumbed his nose at him, choose the second rule which basically attempts to say the same thing (but is worded differently, thus subject to different interpretations.

It's like the tax code. People routinely take deductions that seem okay, but when audited, they get thumped, because there is a superseded qualifier that you don't see that makes you ineligible. Do they make you go to prison like they do TAX CHEATERS who are FRAUDULENT. NOOOOOOOOO, they just make you pay the money, with penalties and interest.

I've already exposed you for who you are troll, NEXT............... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye