Welcome to PatsFans.com

Texas jury jails man 35 years for marijuana possession

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

frickin Texas.....

Texas jury jails man 35 years for marijuana possession | Raw Story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For being caught with just over a quarter pound of pot, 54-year-old Henry Walter Wooten will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars, thanks to a jury in Tyler, Texas.

Wooten was reportedly caught smoking pot within 1,000 feet of a day care center, within the radius of a so-called "drug free zone." Tipped off by the smell, police would later search the man's vehicle, only to discover his cannabis stash and a digital scale, according to The Tyler Morning Telegraph.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd really like to see our tax dollars being spent better.

'Smell' IS probable cause, but....

LEGALIZE IT...and Peter Tosh will advertise it, apparently...

YouTube - Peter Tosh - Legalize it live
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You mean to tell me that they made a law prohibiting drugs within a certain distance of a school, are they are actually enforcing it? What an outrage! :eek:
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Massive waste of taxpayer money...
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

35 years in jail for a guy in his 50s for smoking pot?

average US cost per inmate annually = $23,000 Texas is $18,000

http://www.texaspolicy.com/pdf/2008-LegeEntry-CorrectionsBudget-ml.pdf

Thats a total cost to the taxpayer of $630,000 if he serves his entire term. We didnt discuss the court costs etc.

when we scream about cutting costs, and budgets etc...its this kind of spending that we should look at as far as savinsgs go. Can't this guy do some community service, clean up some highwayts etc...? seems like that would be a better way to deal with pot possession than slapping an aging man with life in jail.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

And what's even worse is you hear of people committing extremely violent crimes and do 8 years. I'll never understand our "justice" system.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

That dude that exorted Letterman? He got 6 months.

edited to correct.....as soon as I'm done laughing at myself.....EXTORTED not EXORTED. What a difference a letter makes.)
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

INDEED!

Saw some dude on the news the other night going to jail on his THIRD rape conviction.

3RD!
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

As boomers get older, more and more pressure will come on Congress to legalize weed nationally, with vehement opposition from the prison industry. Cops would rather go after more dangerous criminals...at least the ones I know.

Marijuana use by seniors goes up as boomers age | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com

MIAMI — In her 88 years, Florence Siegel has learned how to relax: A glass of red wine. A crisp copy of The New York Times, if she can wrest it from her husband. Some classical music, preferably Bach. And every night like clockwork, she lifts a pipe to her lips and smokes marijuana.

Long a fixture among young people, use of the country's most popular illicit drug is now growing among the AARP set, as the massive generation of baby boomers who came of age in the 1960s and '70s grows older.

The number of people aged 50 and older reporting marijuana use in the prior year went up from 1.9 percent to 2.9 percent from 2002 to 2008, according to surveys from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hate drug dealers and users with a passion but this is way over the top...this should have gotten him a year of in the county jail at most but WTF!
  10. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Simple math to me: boomers grew up with it as a fact of life and were for many of them users of the stuff...they are at or getting to retiring age...and retirees are one of the biggest voting blocs in the country.

If they want the laws changed to allow the legal use and distribution of it they will get it legalized.
  11. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Let's look at the facts of this individual case before jumping all over Texas. This man was a repeat felon, who got caught for this SAME THING in 2008. From the same article linked:

"Wooten, who was convicted of two felonies in the 1980s, was also accused of marijuana possession in a drug free zone in 2008, the paper noted."

Also, do you know how much pot a quarter pound is? Take a big ziplock bag (not a sandwich bag but a big freezer bag) and fill it to the top. Its intent to distribute at that level, there is NO WAY anyone is carrying a 1/4 lb on their person to smoke. So basically, we have a convicted felon selling pot around a school zone for the 2nd time in 2 years. I'd say his punishment is well deserved. Even if pot were legal (which I favor) this guy would still be heading to the clink for his behavior around minors.

Still, its a good point that we throw away billions a year on a totally useless "drug war." Legalize, collect taxes on it like booze or cigs, and move some of the drug war money over to prevention programs instead.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I don't think people ever read the articles that either are posted, or that they themselves post. If they do, they tend to skip over, or ignore the parts that escape the headline. We're probably all guilty of doing this, just that some do it more frequently than others. I agree with you Stokes. I am for the legalization, regulation, and taxation of pot (and prostitution). However, in this case, the guy wasn't "in his 50's and smoking a bone" or however Holy put it. This guy, a convicted felon, had a quarter pound of weed on him in a school zone. Something that, as you pointed out in the article, he was arrested for, just 2 years ago. So sorry, but this guy deserves whatever punishment is thrown at him. Is it excessive? Who cares really. This isn't his first time on the merry-go-round, and he was busted mutliple times in his life already. I have no pity for such people, when they recieve a harsh punishment. Were this a first offense, or a case where "a guy in his 50's was caught smoking a bone", then ok, but it's not.

BTW, I voted Yes on question 2 here in MA a couple of years ago, where they made smoking a joint a misdemenor with a $100 fine.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh I read it, and I know how much a quarter LB is...I know what a scale is used for etc.

I've smoked pot a few times.

The reaspon I posted it, is because I dont think this is a crime. Torture, Illegal invasions, murder, rape, theft, etc... THOSE things we should lock people up for life for. Things like this need to be dealt with in the proper manner thats all.

and it Kinda IS about Texas and their bigger than thou mentality in some respect. Did they have to subject this guy to 30+ years for smoking weed? come on? Thats what he was arrested for....smoking weed. Don't tell me about repeat offenders, when I see rape convictions getting 3 years...or less...

You know gambling is illegal in most states (CERTAINLY illegal at Bushwwod CC), but prosecution of cards during football weekend, or poker games dont happen much (even if they do take place near a school)

Texas, get a grip.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I don't get the thing about being near a school. When I smoked in high school, that's exactly where we wanted the dealer to be. That way we could have it delivered right to the parking lot by the dealer. Why do they have to make it so hard for kids these days?
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

If you don't like Texas, don't go there. They have their ways, your state has yours, and Massachusetts has it's own. They are more srtict there, and the guy should know that, since he's been down this road there before. Again though, I'm all for making it legal. It should be up to the states to decide though.
  16. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Carrying that much is not just possession though its intent to distribute whether he was caught in the act of selling it or not. Carrying this much is even punishable with jail in Amsterdam (over 30g or about an ounce) can get you up to 2 years in jail or 16,700eu fine.

How much weed can you carry in amsterdam? - Yahoo! Answers

What the punishment for a 2nd offense would be I don't know, but damn Texas and damn those conservative bastards in Amsterdam.

Come on Holy, you really think its OK that this guy is selling this stuff at a school? This is not a case of drug enforcement gone wild, this dude deserves to be put away for a good long time.

Besides, considering its Texas he's lucky they didn't just give him the chair!:D
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, 35 years in jail for being a 2-time felon and then smoking pot within a quarter mile of a day care center. To hell with him, he got what he deserved.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I have no problem with this idiot behind bars for his previous felonies. I have a huge problem with him doing the time because he was smoking pot, but he's in a foreign country subject to foreign justice (and if you don't think Texas is foreign, then you've never been there).

Another problem is: How many daycare kids are at risk because this guy was near their daycare. Is he going to sell toddlers joints behind the tree?
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I have to disagree with you here. The punishment here far exceeds the crime. FYI I don't smoke pot and I'm not defending that he willfully broke a law...again but let’s get into the 21st century fircriseakes. It should be legal and regulated like alcohol. The cost of taxpayers of catching, housing and feeding pretty harmless people is stagering. Taxing it as a legal product would add revenue and actually reduce taxes....but I digress. The bottom line is that the punishment is obssesive big waste of money.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Believe me, I stay as far away from Texas as possible. I'v ebeen there exactly ONE time, and it was a layover in the Houston Airport...

The pilot said as we were landing "Welcome to the George Bush Airport..." I said out loud "You've gotta be kidding me!"

Then as I got off the jetway, I was confronted by "The Fox News Store" and wanted to kill myself.

F-Texas