PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans release Rosevelt Colvin [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the New Jersey Jets messageboard,the jets have made contact with Colvin's agent.

Vernon Gholston,the Number 6 overall pick has been a major disappointment,so far.

Colvin plays the same pos. at ROLB.
However,N.J. is close to "cap hell",after overpaying for Gholston,Pace,Jenkins,
Woody and Faneca.

Wait a second, old, slow... sounds like a good fit to me.

Seriously he must be really banged up, no one falls off the map that fast. If he was healthy and returned it would really increase the LB depth.

Re: Texans release Rosevelt Colvin

That's unfortunate. Guy was great for us last year up until his injury.

"up until his injury". Well yea - Carl Pavano has been great for the Yankees up until his injury. Colvin was always hurt - the missed season his first year, last season, the 2nd half of the AFCCG @ Indy.... Not saying its a knock on the player necessarily just saying some guys tend to get injured more than others and Colvin is in the latter group. Never the same as pre-hip injury like his pro bowl year (?) before he joined the Patriots.

Edit - just looked it up. I am basically wrong. Colvin played 2,16, 16,16,11 in 5 years. Not that bad really. Alright - good luck Rosey.

Last edited:
Vernon Gholston,the Number 6 overall pick has been a major disappointment,so far....

Has the organization admitted this?. Is it published or is this based off preseason game observations? I still like Gholston a lot and if he made it past the Jets the Patriots might have grabbed him and not traded back.

Has the organization admitted this?. Is it published or is this based off preseason game observations? I still like Gholston a lot and if he made it past the Jets the Patriots might have grabbed him and not traded back.

If they're looking at Colvin,they're admitting it.Their fans are constantly using Mario Williams as an example,what kind of logic is that?

I'm convinced BB/SP would never have drafted this guy.He's dumb,takes plays off and will never be an impact 3-4 OLB.Never mind the money it cost Tangenious.

From Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post (www.nationalfootballpost.com)

"I watched Gholston last night and he is not playing well right now. What is most alarming is his inability to come off blocks without explosion or to play the game with any physicality. Coming out of college, he did not in my opinion have one- step quickness. He has to run his feet to generate power—much like a boxer who needs to “wind up” to throw a power punch. Gholston is poor rusher, playing right into the lineman. As a dropper, he has no chance. If he is in coverage, he is a HUGE liability. The question the Jets should be asking themselves is, “How are we going to dress him on Sunday?” He is not a special teams player and won’t be on the field as a rusher with the defense. Difficult to imagine drafting a player the sixth overall, he is not a quarterback, and he does not offer any help on Sunday. Marques Murrell is so much better, and if the Jets cut him he will get claimed. "

Too bad Jetsies

i would love to see him come back

i would love to see him come back

Me too. I loved the fire he brought; whenever he was in there something happened. Awesome playmaker with just the right amount of 'tude too:D

Here's hoping...!

He was penalized often for being too rough. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Interesting. A cheap guy with almost no learning curve.

I dunno, I'm kind of a rookie junkie this year. Maybe if he's still floating around mid-season, eh?

From what I've read it's not so much a health/injury issue as a square peg/round hole issue; sounded like the Texans wanted to use Colvin as a DE rather than a LB, and it just wasn't a good fit.

From what I've read it's not so much a health/injury issue as a square peg/round hole issue; sounded like the Texans wanted to use Colvin as a DE rather than a LB, and it just wasn't a good fit.
Hmm, if that's the case, maybe ...

That's correct. I live in Houston and they've been talking here all summer about how Colvin was going to be the bookend DE to Williams who would dramatically upgrade the pass rush. I just couldn't get my head around the silliness. Oh the silliness! They could really have used him as an OLB in their 4-3. It could have brought him back to his Chicago days. Anyway, sports radio here has been hammering Kubiak for essentially lighting a million dollars on fire.

The Texans said that they wanted him to be a situational pass rusher, but he was not dominant either as a 4-3 DE or 4-3 OLB and they feel you have to be special to keep you on the 53 man roster as a situational guy. Might be BS, might not.

I think Colvin could come back in here and play the Willie McGinest role of a rotational guy who makes impact plays. I kinda doubt it will happen.

My guess is he will end up with the Jets or Browns. Both can provide him a starting job right away. I would put my money on the Jets. They have invested so much in right now and with Gholston being a major disapointment so far and Bryan Thomas sucking, they need to fill that hole.

I would say the Colts would be in the mix, but like McGinest, his days of playing full-time with his hand in the dirt ended in his 20s. He is too slow to be a OLB in a Tampa-2 defense.

From Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post (www.nationalfootballpost.com)

"I watched Gholston last night and he is not playing well right now. What is most alarming is his inability to come off blocks without explosion or to play the game with any physicality. Coming out of college, he did not in my opinion have one- step quickness. He has to run his feet to generate power—much like a boxer who needs to “wind up” to throw a power punch. Gholston is poor rusher, playing right into the lineman. As a dropper, he has no chance. If he is in coverage, he is a HUGE liability. The question the Jets should be asking themselves is, “How are we going to dress him on Sunday?” He is not a special teams player and won’t be on the field as a rusher with the defense. Difficult to imagine drafting a player the sixth overall, he is not a quarterback, and he does not offer any help on Sunday. Marques Murrell is so much better, and if the Jets cut him he will get claimed. "

Too bad Jetsies

Wow! That is a ringing endorsement. I think it is far too early to condemn Gholston to the bust ranks, but you would expect a top 10 pick who isn't a QB to be an impact player right off the bat. He doesn't have to be a stud and be in the running for DPOY (although you would really like him to), but he should be on the field a lot making plays.

If Gholston can't even contribute immediately as a situational pass rusher, that doesn't speak well for his future. This guy was predicted to be a dominant pass rusher right off the bat even with the transition to 3-4.

I bought the hype originally about the guy, but on further review I grew sour on him. He seemed to rely on bull rushes and outpowering TEs and OTs in college. That type of playing style isn't going to work in the NFL because players are a lot bigger and stronger in the NFL. I am personally glad the Pats passed on trying to trade up to get the guy.

Wow! That is a ringing endorsement. I think it is far too early to condemn Gholston to the bust ranks, but you would expect a top 10 pick who isn't a QB to be an impact player right off the bat. He doesn't have to be a stud and be in the running for DPOY (although you would really like him to), but he should be on the field a lot making plays.

If Gholston can't even contribute immediately as a situational pass rusher, that doesn't speak well for his future. This guy was predicted to be a dominant pass rusher right off the bat even with the transition to 3-4.

I bought the hype originally about the guy, but on further review I grew sour on him. He seemed to rely on bull rushes and outpowering TEs and OTs in college. That type of playing style isn't going to work in the NFL because players are a lot bigger and stronger in the NFL. I am personally glad the Pats passed on trying to trade up to get the guy.

I have a rule of thumb about guys like Gholston, which is to always be suspicious of players who've already maxed out physically before reaching the heights of their sport. Gholston not only looked the part, he was a lifting freak, which means he'll likely improve far less than pretty much every other player drafted.

I have a rule of thumb about guys like Gholston, which is to always be suspicious of players who've already maxed out physically before reaching the heights of their sport. Gholston not only looked the part, he was a lifting freak, which means he'll likely improve far less than pretty much every other player drafted.

The guy seems to have the stench of Mike Mamula on him.

I don't know if I 100% agree with you there, but he was such a physical specimen and did show flashes of brilliances that almost everyone ignored his weaknesses and whether his skills would translate to the NFL when evaluating him. Everyone were so impressed with his 40 time that no one asked how many times a 3-4 OLB has to rush 40 yards in a straight-line with no one blocking him to sack the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back