Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:56 p.m. EDT, March 23, 2007
TEXANS CUT DAVE AND DOMANICK

A year ago, the Houston Texans passed on quarterback Vince Young and running back Reggie Bush with the first overall pick in the draft because quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Davis were the franchise's choices at those positions for 2006 and, presumably, beyond.

A year later, none of the four players in question are under contract with the Texans.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Texans have cut Carr and Davis (who is now known as Domanick Williams).

It is, in our view, a stunning turn of events. Carr was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, and Williams/Davis was regarded not long ago as a rising star after rushing for more than 1,000 in each of his first two NFL seasons.

Williams/Davis missed all of the 2006 season due to a knee injury, and Carr was generally ineffective in 2006, despite leading the league for a while in passer rating.

Carr's fate was sealed when the team traded for quarterback Matt Schaub and named him the starter. But the Texans were expected to at least trade him for a low-round draft pick.

The team paid an $8 million option bonus not long after the 2005 season ended to secure the rights to Carr for three more seasons. The decision to keep Carr took them out of the running for Young, a Houston native who won the NFL offensive rookie of the year award and who became the first rookie quarterback to play in a Pro Bowl.

I feel bad for Carr. He never had a chance with those clowns. They could have lined Grimace, Ronald and The Hamburglar up on the line and given him better protection than he got down.

I could well proved wrong, but I hope i'm not, I'm guessing he lands somewhere and does a great job.

I wonder if he was due another roster bonus or something for them to cut him and not hold out to get a draft pick. You have to figure they could have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Doug Gabriel was a 5th........

Domanick Davis Williams knee must be really torn up.

Domanick Williams (Davis) played for Saban, but he is hurt a lot and missed all of last year with a knee injury.

I wonder what this does to the Dolphins quarterback situation. They can now have Carr for practically nothing. Will they still go for Green? If not, would WE like Carr as a backup?

Wow. That is pitiful. You pay $8mm to keep a guy around and decide that he is not the guy after just one year.

We should all bow our heads in a prayer of thanks that Brady/BB/SP are in charge here.

I wonder if he was due another roster bonus or something for them to cut him and not hold out to get a draft pick. You have to figure they could have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Doug Gabriel was a 5th........
the problem is the contract most teams know they will eventaully cut them so why give him the same contract when they can sign him as a free agent and negotiate the deal down

I feel bad for Carr. He never had a chance with those clowns. They could have lined Grimace, Ronald and The Hamburglar up on the line and given him better protection than he got down.

I could well proved wrong, but I hope i'm not, I'm guessing he lands somewhere and does a great job.
Cousin,
How about this scenario? The Bears. You can't tell me that Carr is not better than Grossman. He would also have a line and a valid run effort, not to mention a defense. Berrian and Mohammad aren't bad WR either.
DW Toys

This is all very funny. I'm having an amazingly hard time thinking of a reason as to why Schaub is better than Carr. They just released 2 of their 5 competent players.

I guess I can see the Davis cut (if his knee is really gone, then I guess he's done)... but I, too, think that Carr is a player. I think that the Chicago, Oakland, MIA, CLE, DET (heck maybe even TB) will be in the mix for his services... I like Cassel, but if we get Carr as a backup, that would just be too much (he's too talented)... I think he'll be starting somewhere next year... I just hope it is NOT BUF, NJY, or MIA!

HOU... gotta love 'em!

Ahhh, the fruits of one Charley Casserly, visible once again for all the world to see.

I have the feeling that David Carr will end up with a team hopefully in the NFC like the Vikings who have a good offensive line and then we can see what he can do I agree with most of the posts in this thread it was not all
Carr the Texans line was just pitiful when I did get a chance to watch them.

I must admit that I don't share the Carr love that many have. I think he is n othing more than than a journeyman, a Joey Harrington redux, if you will.

I won't be surprised at all if he finds a place where he can be moderately successful, maybe even starting out quite good.

But I will be surprised if he amounts to anything above mediocre.

I think he is a notch or two better than Harrington and would be a welcome addition if he wants to come play for a REAL football team and learn under the tutelege of a future Hall of Fame quarterback, for about a mill or two a year.

Cousin,
How about this scenario? The Bears. You can't tell me that Carr is not better than Grossman. He would also have a line and a valid run effort, not to mention a defense. Berrian and Mohammad aren't bad WR either.
DW Toys

Good point, Im really surprised that the Bears haven't made any moves with all the veteran QBs available for cheap.

If Davis's knee isn't shot to hell, I'd grab him. He was an impact player a couple years ago, and looked like a poor man's Marshall Faulk.

I've watched a lot of Texans games since I'm in their market and I think Carr is in the middle somewhere between the people that think he's nothing and the people that think he could be great with a good OL.

How many times have we seen Brady get hit all game long and still make the plays to win? Of course Carr has struggled because of the overall poor pass protection but there's been plenty of times he had the protection and just didn't get it done. Great QBs play well when they shouldn't be able to. I've yet to see Carr have that moment that made me think, "Wow, this guy could be really good."

I think he could do better with another team that has better offensive personnel but IMO he will never live up to being the #1 pick in the draft.

Domanick Williams (Davis) played for Saban, but he is hurt a lot and missed all of last year with a knee injury.
Well I don't expect him to go back to College so I don't understand where you are going here.

I don't think we could afford Carr, but wow, would that be some move if we snatched him up, lol. Chicago might have won the SB if they had Carr instead of Gross-man. Carr really hasn't had much of a chance in Houston, they ALWAYS sucked, kind of like Couch in Cleveland, though I do think he is better than Couch was. I really thought Carr was going to be the real deal, Oakland would be crazy not to sign him, he's way more advanced than Aaron Rodgers (rumored to be trade bait for Moss) is. The Raiders could then draft Calvin Johnson, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots