PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans not ready for NE no huddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both WRONG. Two different variants. Two different guys comparing notes.

I mean that in the same way that, for example, he's visited with Navy to learn about their run offense. Some of those concepts find their way into the Patriots offense. [After all, Marcus Mariota + 10 years != Tom Brady.]

I disagree. They just were not set at the snap a bunch of times and that is tempo preparation. It was more obvious in the red zone, especially on the Vereen rushing TD and Lloyd's TD catch. They weren't ready for the snap. They didn't look gassed, they just looked unprepared for that kind of situation.

Houston struggled with the combination of pace and personnel the Patriots weave together.

“The hurry-up, again we weren’t fully prepared for some reason,” said outside linebacker Brooks Reed, who didn’t play in the first matchup because of a groin injury. “It’s extremely hard to get the call in and line up when they are going hurry-up. They’re not going to wait for you. They’ve got plays planned out and one audible and they’ve got their play ready. Whereas we’ve got to get the call from the sideline, get lined up, recognize the formation.

“It takes us a lot more time to get lined up than they do. That’s the challenge and again that’s what kind of got us today. And making plays too, it’s them making plays not just them hurrying up. I think we could have been a little bit more prepared. We knew that was going to happen. We saw it on film, them lining up quick and defenses not being ready. We didn’t think it was going to be us and in some cases today it was.”

That last sentence is stunning - "We didn't think it was going to be us..." - What?

It was you four weeks ago and it was you again on Sunday. Do the Texans do any film review whatsoever?

Last edited:
“It takes us a lot more time to get lined up than they do. That’s the challenge and again that’s what kind of got us today. And making plays too, it’s them making plays not just them hurrying up. I think we could have been a little bit more prepared. We knew that was going to happen. We saw it on film, them lining up quick and defenses not being ready. We didn’t think it was going to be us and in some cases today it was.”

That last sentence is stunning - "We didn't think it was going to be us..." - What?

It was you four weeks ago and it was you again on Sunday. Do the Texans do any film review whatsoever?

Well, to be fair, when he said "We didn't think it was going to be us" I have to believe he meant "since we prepared for it this time, we didn't think it would happen to us again" and not "we were surprised by it".

In other words, they knew it would be coming but still couldn't deal with it.

The article from the Texans had an amazing stat: longest Pats touchdown drive was 4 minutes, average was 2:30. I doubt anyone's ever scored four touchdowns that quickly.

I don't watch every team in the league so I'm asking those who would know, does anyone run the no huddle like NE does? We are very quick between the plays, snapping the ball, confusing defences and truly execute a 'hurry up offence'.

I saw Denver go no huddle but it's nowhere near effective if you no huddle but then just audible this and that for 20 seconds letting the defence rest. I've seen the Steelers and Giants run it too but nowhere near as effective.

Are other teams trying to incorporate it? Who does it well? I've never seen a team truly operate a 'hurry up offence' like NE, have I missed them?

I was wondering why it is so effective, and not only does it make the defence stick out in base, and second guess the personal, but we have such a strong running game and passing game that they have to respect both and it gets them caught in the middle. If we were not as good at running the ball, I can see teams sending out more players seeking out the WRs in their panic to set up. But with Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead they have to respect and want to stay in the box, thus ignoring the WRs/TEs or just get caught in the middle that we see all the time. Is this as key to the hurry up working as much as the simple fact that it is 'hurry up'.

This is even before talking about our versatile players, TEs and RBs can line up everywhere so that's a whole other fold.

So what I wanted to ask is can you see another team truly incorporate the hurry up offence in the same way we do. Which team has the personal, and quality personal to pull this off?

So what I wanted to ask is can you see another team truly incorporate the hurry up offence in the same way we do. Which team has the personal, and quality personal to pull this off?
Some teams will try this, next year.

As of today, nobody is as efficient as the Patriots. and it goes beyond lining up quickly, it's using the 1 word audible that tells the offense what the play will be (usually run it seems). It's the ability to execute and have all 11 people on the same page that spearates them from anyone else.

The Texans were ready for the no huddle. The Texans simply couldn't stop it.

It's hard to stop. You have to recognize the formation, communicate the call throughout the defense and get lined up, all prior to the offense snapping the ball.

It is asking a lot of a defense to be able to do that consistantly through out the game without error.

I don't watch every team in the league so I'm asking those who would know, does anyone run the no huddle like NE does? We are very quick between the plays, snapping the ball, confusing defences and truly execute a 'hurry up offence'.

I saw Denver go no huddle but it's nowhere near effective if you no huddle but then just audible this and that for 20 seconds letting the defence rest.

Denver would be quicker but that would cut into Peyton's "Look at me!" patented Chicken Dance before each snap

I think not only was the hurry up a key but Brady hard counting at the line almost every time. The texans kept tipping their blitzes and got burned.

Well, to be fair, when he said "We didn't think it was going to be us" I have to believe he meant "since we prepared for it this time, we didn't think it would happen to us again" and not "we were surprised by it".

In other words, they knew it would be coming but still couldn't deal with it.

I agree. I'm positive they prepared for it, but facing it is a different matter.

They probably hadn't put in enought thought on how to deal with it in the goalline D. Maybe between the 10s they had a default D ready for the hurry-up, but had planned on using goalline personnel on the field inside the 10. When the Pats ran the hurry-up (especially the Vereen TD...watch how fast they snap the ball once the ref spots it...unbelievable), they were caught in a mental context-switch between defending the hurry-up and getting the goalline personnel on the field and ended up doing neither effectively.

Regards,
Chris

Some teams will try this, next year.

As of today, nobody is as efficient as the Patriots. and it goes beyond lining up quickly, it's using the 1 word audible that tells the offense what the play will be (usually run it seems). It's the ability to execute and have all 11 people on the same page that spearates them from anyone else.

Denver, NO, and GB will surely go for this.

I saw Denver go no huddle but it's nowhere near effective if you no huddle but then just audible this and that for 20 seconds letting the defence rest. I've seen the Steelers and Giants run it too but nowhere near as effective.

Are other teams trying to incorporate it? Who does it well? I've never seen a team truly operate a 'hurry up offence' like NE, have I missed them?

I was wondering why it is so effective, and not only does it make the defence stick out in base, and second guess the personal, but we have such a strong running game and passing game that they have to respect both and it gets them caught in the middle. If we were not as good at running the ball, I can see teams sending out more players seeking out the WRs in their panic to set up. But with Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead they have to respect and want to stay in the box, thus ignoring the WRs/TEs or just get caught in the middle that we see all the time. Is this as key to the hurry up working as much as the simple fact that it is 'hurry up'.

This is even before talking about our versatile players, TEs and RBs can line up everywhere so that's a whole other fold.

This is a great point about the Broncos. Manning runs up to the line, then calls about about 87 audibles, allowing the defense to make their own adjustments. I kept laughing at this strategy against the Ravens. It seemed like the Broncos were much more confused about the play than their opposition. Also, his stupid "ha-haaa!" hard snap count does NOT work. Just even more time for the Ravens to sit back and rest, and then the snap comes predictably at :01 on the play clock, so they can pin their ears back.

How ready will the Ravens be for the "blitzkrieg"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back