PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrible call -hit on Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
He led with his shoulder and turned his body...BUT...he helmet also hit him in the helmet. So, a good call, although I think the helmet contact was incidental.

It was just a damn hard hit...and the momentum carried his helmet into him after the initial hit with the shoulder. That gets the flag.

jeffd said:
Anyway, I'll wait to see another replay since most here clearly disagree with what I saw. What I saw was a shoulder to head. Yes there was helmet to helmet contact but that's not illegal. The side of the defenders helmet hit Reche, it's only illegal if the defender leads with the crown of his helmet. And Reche WAS NOT a defenseless reciever, both feet were on the ground. If that was Rodney making that hit these boards would be lit up with whining about it.

I'm totally with ya Jeff. If one of our D backs makes that hit, I'm saying the helmets make contact incidentally. Helmet to Helmet is really meant to prevent Spearing, i.e., leading with the helmet, which the defender did not. he lead with the shoulder and I agree that is TEXTBOOK defense, the same book that our FS's should take a page from.

Major Props to Caldwell and glad to see he's ok. Big confidence booster for the team that he bounced back.

If it was a legal hit then we won't hear about it again...But if the NFL fines him, then that is your answer to whether or not it was legal..

I say he gets a $10,000 fine this week from the league.

It was illegal and he will be told by the league to not do it again.

jeffd said:
?????????????????????????????????????????

Anyway, I'll wait to see another replay since most here clearly disagree with what I saw. What I saw was a shoulder to head. Yes there was helmet to helmet contact but that's not illegal. The side of the defenders helmet hit Reche, it's only illegal if the defender leads with the crown of his helmet. And Reche WAS NOT a defenseless reciever, both feet were on the ground. If that was Rodney making that hit these boards would be lit up with whining about it.

Ok. Any blow to the head like that is always called. And that is what you are missing. And, no, you are wrong. If Rodney made the hit, we'd be saying how STUPID of a hit it was.

D-cleater said:
I'm totally with ya Jeff. If one of our D backs makes that hit, I'm saying the helmets make contact incidentally. Helmet to Helmet is really meant to prevent Spearing, i.e., leading with the helmet, which the defender did not. he lead with the shoulder and I agree that is TEXTBOOK defense, the same book that our FS's should take a page from.

Major Props to Caldwell and glad to see he's ok. Big confidence booster for the team that he bounced back.

Sorry, D-Cleater, that is NOT Textbook defense. They don't tell you to take a guys head off. In fact, they do just about everything in their power to keep that from happening. Its why it was a penalty. Kaesviharn could have paralyzed Caldwell by snapping his neck with a hit like that. It doesn't matter that he led with his shoulder. It matters that Kaesviharn's shoulder hit Caldwell directly in the helmet and nearly took Caldwell's head off.

DaBruinz said:
Ok. Any blow to the head like that is always called. And that is what you are missing. And, no, you are wrong. If Rodney made the hit, we'd be saying how STUPID of a hit it was.

Don't worry, if football is too violent to watch, the Bruins should be on the ice soon so you can watch them skate around big hits ;)

D-cleater said:
Don't worry, if football is too violent to watch, the Bruins should be on the ice soon so you can watch them skate around big hits ;)

Again, D-Cleater, its about where the shoulder hit. NOT the fact that he led with his shoulder. Had Kaesviharn hit Caldwell in the chest, there'd be no complaints. Unfortunately, Kaesviharn hit Caldwell in the head. Its a violation of the rules no matter how you look at it. You're thinking otherwise isn't going to change the rules.

jeffd said:
That hit should be used in the officials handbook to show what a tough, legal hit should look like. The defender led with his shoulder and made contact just after the ball reached the reciever. Great play, bad call.

BTW did Reche return to the game. My TV channel switched games with appx 7 minutes left.
A hit in the helmet like that is always called..hitting a defeneseless player is nothing but cheap!! I hope he gets a big fine for that hit...legal?? No and cheap..They don't want players hurt..Nothing great about it..cheap hit...Luckily Caldwell was OK.

Last edited:
D-cleater said:

Now that was a cheap shot!

That looked pretty ****ty to me. That could have ended up real real bad for Caldwell. I agree with the flag.

In the last few years:

Didn't one of the Pats have a similar hit on Reggie Wayne? (Wilson, IIRC.)

Didn't one of the Pats get a "launching" penalty we thought was wrong for a similar hit?

I think Pats fans have taken the position that a similar hit should not be flagged. I think it was close enough to go either way. Fortunately, Reche seems OK, we got the yardage, and got the subsequent TD.

onegameatatime said:
In the last few years:

Didn't one of the Pats have a similar hit on Reggie Wayne? (Wilson, IIRC.)

Didn't one of the Pats get a "launching" penalty we thought was wrong for a similar hit?

I think Pats fans have taken the position that a similar hit should not be flagged. I think it was close enough to go either way. Fortunately, Reche seems OK, we got the yardage, and got the subsequent TD.
Are you kidding?

I've seen the Wilson hit on Wayne many times. Nothing, nothing, nothing about that compares to the hit that was layed on Reche today.

jeffd said:
That hit should be used in the officials handbook to show what a tough, legal hit should look like. The defender led with his shoulder and made contact just after the ball reached the reciever. Great play, bad call.

BTW did Reche return to the game. My TV channel switched games with appx 7 minutes left.

Whatever.:eek:

Just as an FYI, the referees never said why they called the eprsonal foul on that hit. The helmet-to-helmet thing was Simms' interpretation.

Personally I thought he got the penalty for "launching." Even if he hadn't hit him in the head, even if he had only hit him with his shoulder, that's still a penalty in the NFL. A defensive back cannot launch himself into the receiver like that. As a defender, you have to have run into the receiver and take him down.

Caldwell displayed a lot of toughness by coming in later, very nice to see

That call was good I thought, looked like Reche took a lot of punch to his head from the hit.

upstater1 said:
Just as an FYI, the referees never said why they called the eprsonal foul on that hit. The helmet-to-helmet thing was Simms' interpretation.

Personally I thought he got the penalty for "launching." Even if he hadn't hit him in the head, even if he had only hit him with his shoulder, that's still a penalty in the NFL. A defensive back cannot launch himself into the receiver like that. As a defender, you have to have run into the receiver and take him down.

That's one explanation I can accept. Like I said before the helmet contact wasn't illegal as the hit wasn't led with THE CROWN of the helmet. And Reche had both feet on the ground clearly wasn't in the defenseless reciever position. But I actually forgot about the launching rule.

jeffd said:

WRONG! Reverse angle clearly showed helmet to helmet. Just TIVO'd the cr@@ out of it. Great call. Can't do that.

upstater1 said:

The ref said 'Personal Foul, Blow to the Head'. Good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back