PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrible call -hit on Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
That hit should be used in the officials handbook to show what a tough, legal hit should look like. The defender led with his shoulder and made contact just after the ball reached the reciever. Great play, bad call.

BTW did Reche return to the game. My TV channel switched games with appx 7 minutes left.

jeffd said:
That hit should be used in the officials handbook to show what a tough, legal hit should look like. The defender led with his shoulder and made contact just after the ball reached the reciever. Great play, bad call.

BTW did Reche return to the game. My TV channel switched games with appx 7 minutes left.

Great effort by Caldwell.I was very concerned when he went down...

I sort of agree, but I'd let football people make that call. I wouldn't know.

jeffd said:

actually it was a good call. On a different angle, you can clearly see the bengals helmet hit reche. He also went high on a WR that couldnt defend himself. Good call by the refs...Reche showed alot for coming right back.

I disagree. There was clearly helmet to helmet contact, and he went in high. Can't let people do that or you won't have many receivers in a couple years.

Felger said on the post game show he was with thew league official in the booth and right after the hit the official up there was saying "throw the Flag!". They don't want those types of hits to a defenceless wide reciever...period.

jeffd said:

The defender may have lead with the shoulder but it landed in head area and that will always get the flag.

A blow to the head is a blow to the head, sholder or helmet makes no difference as far as my understanding of the rule goes. Caldwell showed just how tough NFL players are right there. I'd still be out like a light and I'm much bigger than him.

I didnt see it, but from reading on here, sounds like possibly the hit that asante laid on one of the colts WR in the playoffs a few years ago and he got flagged for it (or fined, not sure which one happend)

It was helmet to helmet. Clear as day to me.

jeffd said:
Great play, bad call.

Hello. The call went the Pats way. That, by definition, makes it a good call. Sheesh.

I was watching the game with fans from Pittsburgh, Cincy, Jets, and they all thought that while it was a vicious hit, he led with his helmet and deserved a penalty...

They also thought that there would be a fine forthcoming from the NFL as well. So aside from us, there was general agreement that it was an unecessary hit.

glad Caldwell is OK. He has been playing OK for us. We need him out there.

what is this thread post supposed to mean??

Cincy wins if not for that call??

idiot

BradyisGod said:
I disagree. There was clearly helmet to helmet contact, and he went in high. Can't let people do that or you won't have many receivers in a couple years.
i agree, it was helmet to helmet. the refs have to make that call

Did anyone else notice that we got very few replays today from the TV -- a lot of penalties were given and we didn't see the details?

But that was a blow to the helmet, if ever I saw one. Props to Reche for incredible toughness.

Joker said:
what is this thread post supposed to mean??

Cincy wins if not for that call??

idiot

?????????????????????????????????????????

Anyway, I'll wait to see another replay since most here clearly disagree with what I saw. What I saw was a shoulder to head. Yes there was helmet to helmet contact but that's not illegal. The side of the defenders helmet hit Reche, it's only illegal if the defender leads with the crown of his helmet. And Reche WAS NOT a defenseless reciever, both feet were on the ground. If that was Rodney making that hit these boards would be lit up with whining about it.

While I think the league has gone overboard in trying to protect players, a rule is a rule. They showed a helmut to helmut hit. I thought back to Darryl Stingley when I 1st saw it. I thought for sure a stretcher would be coming out.

Glad Caldwell got back up, it was a vicious hit.

Definitely gives me more respect for Caldwell. He was back in on the next series. Guess he's a bit more tough than I tought.

jeffd said:

You might want to see the replay at another angle. It was a proper call. You may not like the rule, but it was applied properly. Personally, I like the rule. Way too many injuries in the NFL already to be thinking less protection for WR's.

The replay was shown a little bit ago on the NBC Sunday Night pre-game show.

Helmet to Helmet contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye