PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrell Suggs signed to a long-term deal (Six-year, $63 million deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsChamp88

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
For the second straight day, a 2009 franchise player agreed to terms on a six-year, $63 million deal.

Suggs also will receive $38 guaranteed.

His signing and option bonuses of $33 million are the highest that any defensive player ever has received.

Also, he'll earn more than $40 million in the first two years -- with zero deferrals. All of the $40 million will be paid out by December 2010.
Latest News and Rumors | ProFootballTalk.com

Wow this is crazy, Florio says its better than Haynesworth's because of all the money in the first two years. Now I can only imagine how much money Peppers is going to want :D but more importantly how will this impact trying extending Wilfork or Seymour?

Last edited:
all of a sudden i fell so insignificant

damn it! that was the one guy i really wanted us to sign next year. :cry2::scared:

So Matt Cassel and Terrell Suggs are getting the same $$$$ (guaranteed money aside) and the same 6 years - Kind of shows you how teams overpay

You have a perennial all-pro and one of the NFLs best LBs getting paid the same that an unproven QB without top of the line receivers is getting.

The NFL money and the way it spreads around the league to different type player is crazy.

So Matt Cassel and Terrell Suggs are getting the same $$$$ (guaranteed money aside) and the same 6 years - Kind of shows you how teams overpay

You have a perennial all-pro and one of the NFLs best LBs getting paid the same that an unproven QB without top of the line receivers is getting.

The NFL money and the way it spreads around the league to different type player is crazy.

What do you mean "guaranteed money aside"?? Why would $10,000,000 in cash be an "aside"?? Clearly, the Suggs deal is far better because there is significantly more guaranteed money. That being said, Cassell is clearly worthy of a huge payday in his own right. First, he plays by far the most important position on the field. Second, he has tremendous intelligence and physical ability. Third, he showed that he is an extremely quick study by going from totally green in the early part of the season to pro-bowl caliber by the end. Fourth, why would you hold it against him that he played with great receivers? Was Joe Montana an "unproven" quarterback because he was surrounded by great talent his whole career? It wasn't like Cassell was just throwing it up in the air hoping Moss would come down with it - he spread the ball around, made all the throws, and RAN the OFFENSE. I'm not sure what else you want him to do.

What do you mean "guaranteed money aside"?? Why would $10,000,000 in cash be an "aside"?? Clearly, the Suggs deal is far better because there is significantly more guaranteed money. That being said, Cassell is clearly worthy of a huge payday in his own right. First, he plays by far the most important position on the field. Second, he has tremendous intelligence and physical ability. Third, he showed that he is an extremely quick study by going from totally green in the early part of the season to pro-bowl caliber by the end. Fourth, why would you hold it against him that he played with great receivers? Was Joe Montana an "unproven" quarterback because he was surrounded by great talent his whole career? It wasn't like Cassell was just throwing it up in the air hoping Moss would come down with it - he spread the ball around, made all the throws, and RAN the OFFENSE. I'm not sure what else you want him to do.
Walk on water, it's a Cassel-hater mantra.

I think this will definitely lead to at least one of our two star defensive linemen getting an extension...now the market is set for pass rushers so the Pats have more time to think about this...I say keep Seymour and hope for the best with Brace as our new NT...

Well, a good quarterback is about 10 times as important as a good LB, so that makes sense.

I mean, if you're going to compare this (unfairly) to Cassel, why not the more common and ridiculous situation of rookie QB's like Stafford and Sanchez getting MORE money than Cassel and not having proven anything?????

Well looks like Suggs is going nowhere. Too bad because he was my backup plan in case the Peppers trade didn't happen... Oops, Peppers isn't coming either, is he? :p

Congrats to Cassel's agent. He got KC to give up #34 and $28M for Cassel! Who woulda thunk it! KC gave up #34 for the priviledge of paying Cassel $10M a year for six years, and can get out early for ONLY $28M! WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing