PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrell Owens Interested in Playing for Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said this in a post recently: there probably IS room. In the 53 I predict, we could probably drop either Bussey, Wheatley, or Deaderick, and there wouldn't be any huge problems (especially if Bussey was the one to be cut because we would still have 8 OLinemen). Just make your own 53 and see for yourself if there's any room.

The question is not room on the 53, it's room on the 45-man active roster.

A LOT of people here said the same when we were getting Moss (he's a cancer, etc) and there is still a little of that feeling (dogfaker etc)

If TO really does want to get his head down and try for a ring then why not. Moss, TO, Welker and Holt. I mean come on

Don't underestimate the Brady factor here. TO (like Moss) would know he is playing on a team first offense with a HOF QB (not the bills or the Cowboys).

I dont think BB or Kraft will do this but they have before

A LOT of people here said the same when we were getting Moss (he's a cancer, etc) and there is still a little of that feeling (dogfaker etc)

:bricks: I was one of them. Didnt want Moss at ALL......good thing im not the coach :D

If BB signs him, i'll keep my mouth shut this time around. He knows more than me :cool:

I do enjoy the fact that Holt and TO were both on teams we were accused of beating because of information gained from Spygate. Obviously, players don't view it with the vitriol that the media does. If TO or Holt thought we won because of Spying, they would never be on BB's field.

I've been saying this for months... Provided Beli keeps him on a short leash, TO could be a very effective addition to our offense.

Really?...really? I bet you a bazillion Patriot Bank of America bucks your statement is false. Chad Jackson ring a bell? Moss ring a bell?

Please put a plug in your arse before it speaks. SignBaby..whatever, Owens would be a PERFECT 'distraction'...not for the team we love, but for the opposing defenses. PLEASE stop BRADY, Moss, Owens, Holt, Welker (I hope soon), Edleman, Price, Taylor, Patten....

I think I am done here.

And yes, we can afford to cut a young WR. This is about championships, not the future, we all know it, so does BB. You think BB's contract say's, "Win in the next 4 years"? I bet his wallet doesn't say that...

Really?....Really?

You want to be a jackass when everything you said doesnt make sense.

Your using Chad Jack as an example when it really helps my case more. Chad Jack was cut after his third offseason heading into what would have been his third season here giving the patriots significant time to evalate his skills and to try and develope them before cutting him. Are you really sugesting cutting players you drafted fairly high before you even give them a full offseason?

I have no clue what Moss has to do with this except that they both are older WRs but Moss was brought in following a year when our Best WR was Caldwell.

You listed 8 wrs as being something opposing defenses would be distracted by which is just plain stupid as I will go out on a limb and so that no team has carried 8 WRs on the 53 man roster before.

And then you top it off with an equally dumb statement about BB thinking with one year in mind rather than the next 4. When there is plenty of evidence despite Bradys aging that his eye is toward fielding a team that continues to compete year in and year out and you can look no further than last years trade of Seymour for a pick he wont cash in until next year.

I will ask you one question since you think TO is such a brilliant no brainer that we should cut one of 2 third round picks for him. Why didn't BB just sign him instead of Holt or sign him before the draft and use the 3rd rounder on someone else?

So unless you think BB should put the cork in his ass I think it is you that should be plugged.

Honestly man, you're the one who's wrong here.

I agree that Owens could be effective on this team. But if you honestly believe that BB would cut Taylor Price, or Brandon Tate or Julian Edelman prior to THIS season before they have even had a chance to shine, than you are insane.

And your Chad Jackson example is pathetic at best considering he was a Patriot for 2 seasons and had some opportunities when he was able to stay healthy...

We don't know what Tate can do yet. Edelmen IS effective...Price is promising and was drafted in the 3rd round and the season hasn't started yet. If you think there is even a remote chance that BB would cut them prior to the season starting, than I don't know what else to say...I mean you sit there and say BB is playing for now cause "his wallet" tells him to? Does that explain the Seymour trade? Does that explain the way he's been building the team recently?

So that brings us back to...where is there even room for Owens? Answer...There isn't.

I don't think I've seen a more misinformed post on here in a long time.

I am glad someone else noticed how awful the logic was there.

I haven't even put two thoughts into TOs attitude because I can't find a way to fit him on the roster.

I've said this in a post recently: there probably IS room. In the 53 I predict, we could probably drop either Bussey, Wheatley, or Deaderick, and there wouldn't be any huge problems (especially if Bussey was the one to be cut because we would still have 8 OLinemen). Just make your own 53 and see for yourself if there's any room.

Sure coming out of camp that makes sense but it kills your flexibilty once injuries start to happen. Not to mention you still need to suit a 45 man active as someone else pointed out.

But if yuo carry an extra WR you better be ready to cut one when you need that extra DL, CB, or OL and if you are keeping Moss, Welker, Edelman, Holt, Tate, Price, and TO who do you cut when you need the extra guy elsewhere.

sounds good in theory to just cut some dud from another position to make room but you need to be developing guys all over the roster and you need the depth to be spread out you can't start cutting these guys for every 35 year old future potential hall of famer.

I would absolutely LOVE to see Moss, Owens, and Holt on the field for the Patriots. That would be a tremendous sight.

Don't forget about Welker!

I think the only way T.O. Makes this team is a month from now if someone gets injured in training camp.

Last edited:
Given the way this thread seems to be going, I thought this post from March would be appropriate:

One of the television shows did a segment on T.O., focusing on how his play had slipped. He was struggling to get separation from opposing corners, and he's lost some of his explosion in his first step. He can be covered with #2 CBs now. He'd still be an upgrade over Aiken, but this isn't the T.O. that teams used to worry about.

Father time is catching up to Mr. Owens.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/325344-hypothetical-how-would-teams-defend-against-moss-edelman-welker.html#post1742417

As much as it hurts me 2 say it,I'd give TO a shot. How ever I don't know about him & Moss being on the same team. We'll know about their beef in the past. I remember TO threw some shade @ Moss before the Pats/Cowboys game in 2007.

Sure, TO may have some problems with press coverage, but he's still a top flight receiver. He still creates problems for opposing teams in open space.

As for press coverage - if done properly by the opposing corners, which is easier said than done may I add, even guys like DeSean Jackson have their problems with it. For the most part, Jackson is very good at shaking them off. However - in those 3 Dallas games, Newman and Jenkins just handled him like a ragdoll.

Again, it happens - for the record, Newman DID have his problems against Jackson in both of the Eagles games.

BTW - the main emphasis should be on the OL - McNabb had tons of success in Philly b/c Andy Reid put priority in the trenches, despite all those crummy receivers for years.

As much as it hurts me 2 say it,I'd give TO a shot. How ever I don't know about him & Moss being on the same team. We'll know about their beef in the past. I remember TO threw some shade @ Moss before the Pats/Cowboys game in 2007.

I remember that game - for the most part, our defense was just OVERWHELMED. One of our starting corners was injured(Anthony Henry), but it probably wouldn't have made a difference b/c Jacques Reeves would have been the nickel corner anyways and matched up against Wes Welker the whole time.

Overall, we coudn't get our D off the field on 3rd downs, limiting our offense on the field.

I would probably agree that there would be room, but not at the expense of one of our young WR (Edelman, Tate, Price)

There is simply no way in hell any of those WRs would get cut to make room for Owens...ZERO percent chance. ZERO. I just found it hilarious that someone would say "BB would do that cause he's building for now without the future in mind." That entire statement is loaded with ignorance...

The only thing T.O. could give any team would be to be a slot / possession receiver who's good for a few 5-10 yard receptions a game. He can no longer separate or out jump any of the athletic CB's in the league. He may be able to get a sliver of separation as a slot receiver and maybe due to his strength grab a few extra YAC's.

We just upgraded out TE's and we have Edelman / Welker ... there is no room for T.O. on this team.
He would only hamper the learning curve of our younger guys.

somebody will pick up this year if they become desperate due to injuries ...maybe even us ... but I hope not.

Last edited:
I would probably agree that there would be room, but not at the expense of one of our young WR (Edelman, Tate, Price)

There is simply no way in hell any of those WRs would get cut to make room for Owens...ZERO percent chance. ZERO. I just found it hilarious that someone would say "BB would do that cause he's building for now without the future in mind." That entire statement is loaded with ignorance...
IF the Pats were to sign Owens - which I don't believe they will - he most likely would take Holt's place on the roster. Edelman, Tate and Price are in no danger of being cut.

IF the Pats were to sign Owens - which I don't believe they will - he most likely would take Holt's place on the roster. Edelman, Tate and Price are in no danger of being cut.

I think you misunderstood me...

I 100% agree with you here.

I was just responding to whoever it was that said BB would't think twice before cutting one of our young WR because it's "all about winning right now".

I just couldnt help but respond to such a dumb comment lol.

I'm in the middle on this one. I've always been that way with Owens. If they sign him, great, let's see what he can do. If not, whatever.

The only thing T.O. could give any team would be to be a slot / possession receiver who's good for a few 5-10 yard receptions a game. He can no longer separate or out jump any of the athletic CB's in the league. He may be able to get a sliver of separation as a slot receiver and maybe due to his strength grab a few extra YAC's.

We just upgraded out TE's and we have Edelman / Welker ... there is no room for T.O. on this team.
He would only hamper the learning curve of our younger guys.

somebody will pick up this year if they become desperate due to injuries ...maybe even us ... but I hope not.

Agreed. I think we got our older possession WR in Holt. And Holt actually has a good attitude. I don't want anything to do with Owens. If we end up with a rash of injuries (let's hope not) and Owens is a FA, then maybe I'll change my stance, but until then, I'm pretty excited about the WRs we have now...

And once Welker is ready to go, our offense has a chance to be very very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots