PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrell Davis on NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
provided and interesting tidbit of analysis how our running game does not take a back seat to the passing game. his take was that since brady is in shotgun 90% of time,with a RB aligned to his left or right really effects the pass rushers. He showed that by handing of the ball once or twice for even not big rushing gains makes the DE's rushing hesitate in subsequent plays every time brady stretches the ball out to the RB which helps the pats to throw the ball out of the fake or run the ball as it is. Not really breakthrough but shows that the threat of a running back is being as useful in our passing game and o line protection .

provided and interesting tidbit of analysis how our running game does not take a back seat to the passing game. his take was that since brady is in shotgun 90% of time,with a RB aligned to his left or right really effects the pass rushers. He showed that by handing of the ball once or twice for even not big rushing gains makes the DE's rushing hesitate in subsequent plays every time brady stretches the ball out to the RB which helps the pats to throw the ball out of the fake or run the ball as it is. Not really breakthrough but shows that the threat of a running back is being as useful in our passing game and o line protection .

Good point. I think this is an innovation that came from Urban Meyers? And it's probably going to transform the NFL over time. I think right now it's causing havoc for opposing defenses.

Drew would have been great in this offense. He was desperate to play out of the shotgun, and to have this weapon of slowing down the rush would have benefitted him a lot.

It wouldn't hurt to have Randy Moss on the other end of that arm strength either. Ah well, hope the fishin' is good up there, Drew.

Good point. I think this is an innovation that came from Urban Meyers? And it's probably going to transform the NFL over time. I think right now it's causing havoc for opposing defenses.

Drew would have been great in this offense. He was desperate to play out of the shotgun, and to have this weapon of slowing down the rush would have benefitted him a lot.

It wouldn't hurt to have Randy Moss on the other end of that arm strength either. Ah well, hope the fishin' is good up there, Drew.

well speaking of drew..the show had another segement how brady moves inside the pocket like its a boxing ring..keeping his focus and feeling the pressure and moving up/down sideways. i doubt drew wouldve done it. i also think this RB play out of the shotgun is kind of a variation of the stretch play which the colts run. At least during edgerring james days they used to throw a lot out of the stretch running play.

I love the revisionist view of The Statue. To be good in this offense you have to (1) runthe play the way the coach says, not a Bledsoe trait, (2) read defenses extremely well, another Bledsoe non-talent, and (3) be patient and throw underneath when that is the option the defense gives you (see 1 & 2). Bledsoe's "just sling it" mentality cost him the starting job in 3 different franchises. His last ill-fated pass as a starter, an INT thrown against the play's design, got him benched in Dallas and typifies just what was wrong with The Tall One With A Strong Arm's career.

I love the revisionist view of The Statue. To be good in this offense you have to (1) runthe play the way the coach says, not a Bledsoe trait, (2) read defenses extremely well, another Bledsoe non-talent, and (3) be patient and throw underneath when that is the option the defense gives you (see 1 & 2). Bledsoe's "just sling it" mentality cost him the starting job in 3 different franchises. His last ill-fated pass as a starter, an INT thrown against the play's design, got him benched in Dallas and typifies just what was wrong with The Tall One With A Strong Arm's career.

Great post.. Agree with you 100%

Exactly. The Drew Bozo toadies will NEVER come to grips with the fact that their boy just wasn't that good no matter how many excuses and useless stats they state to help their argument. Sounds a lot like the fans of a running back I know. :D

I love the show which this is from but I can't believe EA simulation having the Pats winning 36-33. Who is playing, even on rookie mode you'd have a hard time getting that close with that team. Last week was the simulation like 26-23 Pats.

Originally Posted by FrontSeven said:
Good point. I think this is an innovation that came from Urban Meyers?

I'm not sure, but it might have come from Urban Meyer.

Actually, I think it was first used in a high school game--at Gateway High in suburban Fort Meyers.

Last edited:
Actually, I think it was first used in a high school game--at Gateway High in suburban Fort Meyers.

Wrong. Craig James said that Ron Meyer invented it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes