PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terell Suggs files grievence against Baltimore: Breaks off long term contract talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terelle Suggs files grievence against Baltimore: Breaks off long term contract ta

I think your numbers are off. He was franchised as a LB and will get in the low $8M range, he wanted the DE tag(hi $8M range). Thats the same range we will have to pay the 7th pick...We can trade for him AND tag him ourselves next year if we cant work out a long term deal! But if he likes winning, it comes at a cost. That said, we dont know if we can get a OLB pass rusher in the draft. There just arent that many there. If he wants to come here I think it would be foolish of us not to try and get him here.

Re: Terelle Suggs files grievence against Baltimore: Breaks off long term contract ta

Tough one for sure...but a #7 pick is going to get upwards of $8 mil/year too.

but that includes incentives and escalators. Peterson could have earned $40.5 million over 5 years only if he reached each and every escalator in his contract. IMO, if he had reached each and every escalator, he would be worth $8 million a year.

Please note that Peterson's potential intake went down this year by $2 million because he did not rush for 2,000 yards this season or score 20 TDs.

If the owners are going to give up the right to franchise a player, what should the players give up in return??

A rookie pay scale

He's young, he's versatile, but word has it he's not the brightest streetlight on the block.

If that's true, then he can't play IL for the Pats.

I think your numbers are off. He was franchised as a LB and will get in the low $8M range, he wanted the DE tag(hi $8M range). Thats the same range we will have to pay the 7th pick...We can trade for him AND tag him ourselves next year if we cant work out a long term deal! But if he likes winning, it comes at a cost. That said, we dont know if we can get a OLB pass rusher in the draft. There just arent that many there. If he wants to come here I think it would be foolish of us not to try and get him here.

Are you saying you would trade the #7 pick for him and KEEP HIM UNDER THE TAG without signing a longterm deal????????
There is no way in the world that is going to happen.
First of all, he will hold out. Secondly if he were to ever report, he would expect what Samuel got, and agreement to not tag him next year.
So,we are going to trade the #7 pick (the last time we picked that high was Richard Seymour) for a guy who will hold out and maybe we can sign long term, when the cost looks like it will be at least 10 mill a year? We may not even get him for this year, much less longer, unless we are willing to pay that price.
Would you have traded the pick that netted Richard Seymour to get a guy you had to pay 8mill to play 1 year, or for a guy you had to pay 10mill+ for a long term deal?

THAT really is the issue. The only way we would trade for Suggs is if a long term deal is in place prior to the trade.
Assante Samuel got 9.5 mill a year, Calvin Pace got 7 mill. There is no quesiton Suggs will not even take the phone call for less than 10 mill a year. Do you really feel it is worth paying Terrelle Suggs 10 mill (or more) a year and giving away the #7 pick in the draft for the right to do so?

THAT really is the issue. The only way we would trade for Suggs is if a long term deal is in place prior to the trade.
Assante Samuel got 9.5 mill a year, Calvin Pace got 7 mill. There is no quesiton Suggs will not even take the phone call for less than 10 mill a year. Do you really feel it is worth paying Terrelle Suggs 10 mill (or more) a year and giving away the #7 pick in the draft for the right to do so?

I don't really get why you keep drumming up this 10M number. Asante was the #1 free agent on the market and he didn't quite get 10.

Pace got 7M per year which is around what a top linebacker should get. And he was a FREE AGENT. Suggs is an OLB UNDER FRANCHISE TAG, and I doubt anyone would give him 10M per, especially not if they have to offer a pick for him first. If the Ravens want to move Pace, any team he goes to, you can be assured a contract would have to be worked out in advance before it goes through. Suggs has no leverage in this position except to hold out. His future contract will reflect that.

Last edited:

Maybe AD could put a little something in his ear. I wouldnt be against giving him $8M a year.

AD-Suggs-Seau/Bruschi-Vrabes next season sounds really good to me.

Ravens fans have a bigger beef than any other team in of last 10 years as far as im concerned. They should have won multiple SB's with the talent they had on defense.

Balt uses a 3-4.
Suggs can play ILB, OLB and has played DE.
He's 25 with 5 years experience!
Trade the first rnd pick tomorrow for him. He's an instant star in a high-need position for the Pats.
No-brainah! (If Pats have the room)

Not too mention a 2 time pro bowler and someone BB was very high on when he came out from Arizona.

If the Pats can trade back Suggs is the type of impact player that may be worth 2 first round picks.

The 2008 pick will be around 29, 30, 31, 32. Hopefully he becomes a big enough pain in the butt the the Ravens would get rid of him for less. This would be an ideal move for the Pats.

Lets pretend
ROLB - Suggs* - Age 25
RILB - Thomas* - Age 30
LILB - Seward - Age 25
LOLB - Vrabel* - Age 32

Bruschi - age 65, used in a rotation

RDE - Seymour* - 28
NT- Wilfork* - 26
LDE - Warren 27
* Probowl player

RDE - Seymour* - 28

How is Seymour only 28? It seems like he's been around forever already.

A 7th is gonna be high $ number anyway. Grab Suggs.

WRONG. The #7 pick is only going to demand about 3 million in cap space for this year. Suggs will take 5-6 million.

I am with you. Rather have a proven product still young.

I would also go for a CB as well from someone who can step in asap. Karl Paymha and D. Foxworth are both RFA on the Broncos. I suspect BB can bid on both and the Broncos would let one go. They say Paymah is ready to break out. Excellent upside there. Foxworth will be fine too with super speed and they are both 6' CB's. Have we now learned our lesson on 5' 9" CB's? I would rather pay them than a CB who MIGHT make it. Would you want to see another slow Merriweather progression in the CB roster? It takes a year or two and where need help now. Might cost us a third for one of them in the end.
Need a CB that has youth and potential.Not Hank Poteat either.
DW Toys

The Pats can get a youthful CB in the draft that has much higher upside than Foxworth or Payma

Tough one for sure...but a #7 pick is going to get upwards of $8 mil/year too.

No, its not. Where do you get that idea from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back