PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terell Suggs files grievence against Baltimore: Breaks off long term contract talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terelle Suggs files grievence against Baltimore: Breaks off long term contract ta

The franchise tag is interesting. It was originally put there so that a team could retain it's best players. It also has the stipulation that any franchised player be paid the average of the top 5 salaries of that position. The player gets paid and the franchise keeps their player.

The problem is, and I agree with the players on this one, players view the franchise tag as disrespectful. Perhaps, like in Asante Samuel's situation, the team did not want to shell out long term dollars. Yes, he got paid $7-8M last year. This year he got somewhere in the neighborhood of $20M guaranteed because of the longer contract. The franchise tag kept Asante from earning $13M for a year.

I think the franchise tag is kinda sucky, but the NFLPA did agree to it. Perhaps it will get reworked in future CBAs.

Re: Terelle Suggs files grievence against Baltimore: Breaks off long term contract ta

I'd rather have Terrell Suggs than anyone who'd be available at #7. He's a proven star. I doubt the Ravens would deal him to the Patriots, but with that #7 as a dangler, it'd be tempting to say the least.

I'd be in the camp of taking the trade too.
Baltimore could then trade out with one of the picks, or if they're really committed to rebuilding, they could trade out both and get 4 solid picks in return.

If the owners are going to give up the right to franchise a player, what should the players give up in return??

The players should give back a little in 1st round rookies salaray (don't give it to the owners it goes in to the cap pool for vets).

Two problems, getting rid of one is good for the players, getting rid of the other is good for the teams.

The franchise tag is interesting. It was originally put there so that a team could retain it's best players. It also has the stipulation that any franchised player be paid the average of the top 5 salaries of that position. The player gets paid and the franchise keeps their player.

The problem is, and I agree with the players on this one, players view the franchise tag as disrespectful. Perhaps, like in Asante Samuel's situation, the team did not want to shell out long term dollars. Yes, he got paid $7-8M last year. This year he got somewhere in the neighborhood of $20M guaranteed because of the longer contract. The franchise tag kept Asante from earning $13M for a year.

I think the franchise tag is kinda sucky, but the NFLPA did agree to it. Perhaps it will get reworked in future CBAs.

The ironic thing is that when they first started the franchise tag, players wanted to be tagged. Back then, contracts were backloaded and the cap wasn't growing at the rate it is now. Players could typically make more money getting franchised than getting a new deal. That's why Orlando Pace and Walter Jones neither minded getting franchised multiple years in a row.

Now that the cap is growing exponentially every year and even average players like Gibril Wilson can get deals that make him one of the three highest paid players at his position, players hate it. They wanted a share of the luxary boxes and club seats and didn't realize that it would make the franchise tag so much of a negative thing because the franchise tag is now used so liberally now.

Here is the problem.
If you trade the #7 for Suggs, what will you have to pay him?
The Jets ******ed the OLB market by paying 42 mill for a mediocre one.
My guess is that Suggs would want something like 10mill a year, and I'll pass.

Here is the problem.

That's the crux of the issue right there. Sure it would be a no brainer Suggs for a #7, but he's going to want more than #7 money. Money the patriots just don't have at the moment.

Here is the problem.

Besides adding a 3rd good OLB doesnt do anything for the corner we need to use that first round pick (with or without a trade down) on.

If the Pats could work out a sign and trade for Suggs I would do that in a minute. He'll probably just play out his time and get rich in free agency.

intriguing for sure...

If the Pats could work out a sign and trade for Suggs I would do that in a minute. He'll probably just play out his time and get rich in free agency.

Are you willing to pay him $10mill a year?

Yeah, I'd give #7 in a heartbeat; the contract is an entirely different matter.

Balt uses a 3-4.
Suggs can play ILB, OLB and has played DE.
He's 25 with 5 years experience!
Trade the first rnd pick tomorrow for him. He's an instant star in a high-need position for the Pats.
No-brainah! (If Pats have the room)

A 7th is gonna be high $ number anyway. Grab Suggs.
I am with you. Rather have a proven product still young.

I would also go for a CB as well from someone who can step in asap. Karl Paymha and D. Foxworth are both RFA on the Broncos. I suspect BB can bid on both and the Broncos would let one go. They say Paymah is ready to break out. Excellent upside there. Foxworth will be fine too with super speed and they are both 6' CB's. Have we now learned our lesson on 5' 9" CB's? I would rather pay them than a CB who MIGHT make it. Would you want to see another slow Merriweather progression in the CB roster? It takes a year or two and where need help now. Might cost us a third for one of them in the end.
Need a CB that has youth and potential.Not Hank Poteat either.
DW Toys

I wouldn't give up anything for Suggs unless I had an agreed extension upon the trade with him. He wants to play for the Cardinals and they now run the
3-4 defense with Whisenhunt. So unless the Patriots pay out a significant deal for him he will be here one year and then we go through what Baltimore is going through because his HEART is back home. Arizona has a spot open now for him and will have money next off-season. So I believe Suggs is a wasted "Pipe Dream". You don't mortgage the future for what will equate a 1 year rental. Here's his words.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1152189~Suggs___I_d_love_to_be_a_Cardinal_.html

Last edited:

I wouldn't give up anything for Suggs unless I had an agreed extension upon the trade with him. He wants to play for the Cardinals and they now run the
3-4 defense with Whisenhunt. So unless the Patriots pay out a significant deal for him he will be here one year and then we go through what Baltimore is going through because his HEART is back home. Arizona has a spot open now for him and will have money next off-season. So I believe Suggs is a wasted "Pipe Dream". You don't mortgage the future for what will equate a 1 year rental. Here's his words.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1152189~Suggs___I_d_love_to_be_a_Cardinal_.html

Well, the assumption is that he will have to sign a long term deal upon being traded.
The fly in the ointment is do you really want to pay him 10 mill a year?

A 7th is gonna be high $ number anyway. Grab Suggs.
I am with you. Rather have a proven product still young.

I would also go for a CB as well from someone who can step in asap. Karl Paymha and D. Foxworth are both RFA on the Broncos. I suspect BB can bid on both and the Broncos would let one go. They say Paymah is ready to break out. Excellent upside there. Foxworth will be fine too with super speed and they are both 6' CB's. Have we now learned our lesson on 5' 9" CB's? I would rather pay them than a CB who MIGHT make it. Would you want to see another slow Merriweather progression in the CB roster? It takes a year or two and where need help now. Might cost us a third for one of them in the end.
Need a CB that has youth and potential.Not Hank Poteat either.
DW Toys

A #7 pick will not make $10M oer year.

Here is the problem.

Tough one for sure...but a #7 pick is going to get upwards of $8 mil/year too.

Well, the assumption is that he will have to sign a long term deal upon being traded.
The fly in the ointment is do you really want to pay him 10 mill a year?

No fly for me. Quick answer is no. I like the flexability going into the draft and he's an OLB which I don't see as an urgent position right now. I want to keep AD on the outside as well as Vrabel because it's both their strengths. I think ILB is more a concern which is not what Suggs is. Plus, I think he wants to test free agency anyway.

Tough one for sure...but a #7 pick is going to get upwards of $8 mil/year too.

That's true Patchick BUT I don't see the Patriots picking at #7 honestly. I don't think they view any player at #7 as "High Value" at that $8 mil, over the posibility of trading down and getting extra picks. If they spend $8 million on #7 he better be far and away the absolute best value and franchise player to them in the entire draft and after watching hour upon hour of film. The only player who is that much better than his counterparts in terms of value and talent together is LT Jake Long. Everybody else you can get better value with a trade down and multiple picks.
The fans think some of these players are that good but the Pats Brass might surprise some fans this year. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

I wouldn't offer our #7 for Suggs because it doesn't solve the Ravens problem of paring salary down. The #7 pick will earn somewhere between 7-8M per year. I'd offer them our 2nd rounder and a conditional future pick depending on how well Suggs turns out for us.

The Ravens tagged Suggs as an LB. The highest paid LB makes 6.5 M. That's Ray Lewis. So under the tag, Suggs is going to make less than 6.5M.

IMO, Suggs wants to be the highest paid LB in the game, so that would mean at least a 7M per year contract with a double dight signing bonus. There's no way Suggs gets 10M from a sane team. From a desperate team with a lot of cap money to spend, like the Cards? Maybe. But that completely wrecks the pricing scheme for linebackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes