PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ten years ago today: the hit to Drew Bledsoe that began the legend of Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ten years ago, today....

It's great to see Drew in the Patriots HOF and remembered fondly by the fans, including some of us who weren't exactly thrilled with his performance. He's gone on to have a healthy productive post football career and continues to be a great family guy. May it continue for decades!

Last edited:

Not to single out Schefter because many others in the media make the same mistake, but the implication that Brady became a starter by default (or blind luck, as some fans of opposing teams argue) is erroneous. Belichick nearly made Brady the team's starter before that season began, and based on the way Bledsoe was playing at the time surely would have made the switch at some point during that 2001 season.

Not to single out Schefter because many others in the media make the same mistake, but the implication that Brady became a starter by default (or blind luck, as some fans of opposing teams argue) is erroneous. Belichick nearly made Brady the team's starter before that season began, and based on the way Bledsoe was playing at the time surely would have made the switch at some point during that 2001 season.

:rolleyes:

This should be right up there with Christmas and Thanksgiving in our area.

Last edited:

OK, as a 40 year Patriots fan I maybe I'm taking this wrong. This franchise was in the pits before Drew was drafted and Drew was one of the main reasons for the rise of the franchise. Don't forget all great games and he did lead the team to the playoffs for several years and the SB one year.

I just don't see that his close to life threatning injury is something to celebrate. Also remember that Drew came in when TFB was hurt during the AFCCG in Pittsburg and threw a TD pass that helped the Patriots get to the SB.

I am forever thankful that TFB has been our QB for the past 10 years. He is certainly better than Drew. But I don't want to dump on Drew to celebrate Tom.

Yes the hit did bring in Tom, but as "57" stated, the change was about to be made anyway.

Last edited:

Bledsoe was a HOF level player (look at his numbers), and was largely responsible for changing the team from a joke to a viable team during the 90s. Celebrating his injury is disgraceful.

Brady was improving in a weekly basis in the 2001 preseason, and had, reportedly, a better training campo than Bledsoe at the time. It's not that unlikely that he would've gotten a shot eventually if Bill saw the team wasn't going anywhere with Drew.

But, yeah, I don't know why I would expect any football knowledge out of the guy with the Mark Sanchez avatar.

Last edited:

No. you both have me wrong.

I loved Drew dearly, owned his jersey and everything. What happened to him was unfortunate and nearly tragic, as you pointed out, Deus.

I was merely suggesting that we ought to somehow commemorate the rise of the Age of Brady.

Last edited:

While the change was likely to be made eventually, it would almost certainly not have been made in time to launch a dynasty. And the team and the relationship between the owner and HC might have been torn apart in the process, particularly given Drew's own inability to accept accountability coupled with the local media's disdain for the pond scum who ruined everything in Cleveland, too... As unlucky as it was for Drew, the injury allowed for a swifter and more easily acceptable transition. And for those watching sans the rose colored glasses, the AFCC game actually just reinforced the need for that transition. It's the transition that is celebrated by whatever means...

Drew and Tuna both had a role to play in another transition that preceeded the birth of a dynasty. Parcell's impact may have ultimately played a larger role both in elevating the profile and expectations of an organization and fanbase, but that is because his most significant contribution remains the introduction of Belichick to an owner and small core of young defensive players with whom he would develop the rapore that even allowed for a dynasty to be born. In Drew's defense, I think he is finally over it and at peace with all that transpired (including the how and why) then and since.

Time for this fanbase to be at peace with it too. NFLN is celebrating the start of a HOF and perhaps GOAT Qb career today. I'm sick and tired of some patsfans always feeling the need to apologize for celebrating that.

We know in the end that it all turned out OK for Drew B, but Does MoLewis still Rock? :bricks:

Last edited:

I just read in PFW, Drew said in his induction speech, after listing a bunch of guys he played with," and I had a backup who didn't understand his role":D

Of coarse he was talking about TFB,nice quip, Drew. He later said that we fans don't know how lucky we are to have Brady.

My answer is, yes we do know how lucky we are, but sometimes we forget.

Last edited:

Man i remember that hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey