PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ten Most Revolutionary Defensive Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider Urlacher the best defender in the NFL.

Urlacher = revolutionary? He's good, but I wouldn't call him that.

Guys who *are* revolutionary:

1. LT. Tackles rarely slid outside to pick up OLBs until he came along. That job was usually left to a RB kept in to block...futile vs. LT. Even as line blocking schemes changed thanks to him, even he usually required extra attention like a TE or RB to help the tackle.

2. Darrell Green. Was the first CB *routinely* put on the best WR (dubbed the MDR...most dangerous receiver), no matter which side he lined up. Deion Sanders may have been the best ever at this, but Green started the trend.

3. Randy White. First DT who required *constant* double-teams (sometimes triple-teams). The guy was strong as an ox and the key defensively to those outstanding 70s Cowboys teams.

4. Deacon Jones. He was Reggie White before Reggie White was Reggie White.

5. Ronnie Lott. Cornerback speed, linebacker hitting ability. Rodney Harrison has nothing on Lott in his prime.

6. **** Butkis. First *feared* hitting machine MLB. Think 2000 Ray Lewis and this was Butkis.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but I think I got the general positions covered (DT, DE, OLB, ILB/MLB, S, CB).

Regards,
Chris

I think all of these guys are great football players. Revolutionary? Maybe Taylor.

Most of the others were just played better within defenses already played.

Th]at guy that picked the ball up and threw it forward instead of laterally was a revolutionary, but I don't know his name.:D

[QUOTE)

2. Darrell Green. Was the first CB *routinely* put on the best WR (dubbed the MDR...most dangerous receiver), no matter which side he lined up. Deion Sanders may have been the best ever at this, but Green started the trend.

3. Randy White. First DT who required *constant* double-teams (sometimes triple-teams). The guy was strong as an ox and the key defensively to those outstanding 70s Cowboys teams.

I'll forgive you if you're under 40 for these two. But, the whole damn
league played bump and run before the new rules came in before the
78 season. D.Green is very good. W.Brown,M.Haynes,M.Blount were better.
And, Deion Sanders is probably the best cover corner ever. That's a
subjective thing.

Randy White relied on quickness and strength. Couldn't double him because
of Harvey Martin and Too Tall. Plus, with the flex he lined up off the line a lot. Kind of like Wilfork does today. Run stuffing dt. J.Greene before he hurt
his shoulder/neck. Merlin Olsen. Dallas own Bob Lilly were better than White to name a few. White was actually tried at lb before moving to dt his rookie year. Not exactly, a run stuffer. Was about 250 when he came into the league.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
I think all of these guys are great football players. Revolutionary? Maybe Taylor.

Most of the others were just played better within defenses already played.

Th]at guy that picked the ball up and threw it forward instead of laterally was a revolutionary, but I don't know his name.:D

Otto Graham was the first truly great one.

A few older guiys I would put on that list:

Gino Marchetti the first 'modern' DE

Big Daddy Lipscomb: first 300lb DT, fast and dominant unstoppable at the time

**** ' Night Train" Lane Det Lions. Think Jack Tatum meets Mel Blount.

Dave Robinson OLB Packers, as Big a smost DE's of the time fast as a safety.

BTW Singletary did what Urlacher does and did it better IMO.

patsfan13 said:
A few older guiys I would put on that list:

Gino Marchetti the first 'modern' DE

Big Daddy Lipscomb: first 300lb DT, fast and dominant unstoppable at the time

**** ' Night Train" Lane Det Lions. Think Jack Tatum meets Mel Blount.

Dave Robinson OLB Packers, as Big a smost DE's of the time fast as a safety.

BTW Singletary did what Urlacher does and did it better IMO.
You beat me to it with **** "Night Train" Lane, also one of the best nicknames ever.

Hardy Brown, a little guy with the old 49ers who put the most people carrying the ball to sleep with his shoulder hits than anyone until the sandman (Mariano Rivera) came along.

Emlen Tunnell of the 50s Giants, great DB, interceptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing