PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Telling Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsgo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
27 th in 3rd down d, 29th in red zone d, improve those we are at least 8 and 2

YEah, this is pretty much it right here! 3rd down D has been so ugly this year.
Little consistent pressure on the QB exposes a weak to average secondary.

I agree...those are really telling stats...a few stops here and there and 2 loses are definitely wins.

The 29th in red zone D is pathetic when we are supposed to have one of the best D-lines in the league.

They better get that Wild Cat Offense off the Field on 3rd downs Sunday or like in week 3...it will be a very long long long long get the point afternoon.

The thing I don't get is that 3rd down and red zone defense is a specific point of emphasis for this team and always has been. I now we have injuries, but jeez.

Gaffney dropping a sure TD and a lost coin flip are not about 3rd downs and redzones. Those numbers are bad, but this team could easily be 8-2 even with those numbers if not for other issues.

Until the Pats solve this 3rd down defense, I won't even think about another Championship. I don't care how many points a team scores. If you can't stop the opposing team, especially when the game is on the line, then there is a Big Problem. :mad: I see no evidence that THIS CURRENT DEFENSE can make stops like that.
The defenses that we had when we won our three Championships were CLUTCH. How many times did Mcginest come up with a key sack to end the game, a drive, or even move a team out of field goal range? How many times did Law and Harrison come up with big INTs to win a game or end a drive?
Bruschi, God bless him, is past his prime. Back in those days he would come up with a big stop or pick to change the game. The Championship defenses that we had in the past MADE PLAYS, BIG TIME PLAYS when the game was on the line. If you don't believe me, go back and watch some of your old Super Bowl DVDs. Everytime I watch one, I realize what is missing from our CURRENT DEFENSE.
The defensive failure at the end of the Super Bowl last year is still fresh in my mind. We still have the same problem, and our defense was MUCH HEALTHIER last year than this year.
Our Offensive DOMINANCE covered up a lot of defensive weaknesses last year, IMO. Their margin for error this year is much smaller and now these flaws are being exposed. The weird thing is that overall we still have a good defense, it just has a couple of GLARING WEAKNESSES. I just can't make up my mind if it's the Players or the Scheme. IMHO, I think that it might be both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye