PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tell us your ONE favorite Offensive and Defensive Patriots play in the Belichick era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tell us your ONE favorite Offensive and Defensive Patriots play in the Belichick

I'm trying to remember the recent INT where one of the veteran defenders had to hold onto the rookie to pull him back so he could block for him... I can see the play in my head but can't remember the players (was Rodney the veteran?)

McGinest was the puller. Can't remember the younger player. Andrews?

Last edited:
Re: Tell us your ONE favorite Offensive and Defensive Patriots play in the Belichick

Favorite offensive play:
I think it was at home against Buffalo, Brady aired it to Moss for just a gain around 30, but then Moss latterals it in front of him to Welker (think Boise State vs. Oaklahoma) and Welker gains an additional 15 yards.
That play was memorable because of how Belichick was yelling at Moss on the sidelines not to do this again.

A side question:
Don't you think latteraling like this play could work in the NFL if the coaches had some balls? Especially if I were a coach of a 6-10 team or less, I would try this out.

Defensive Play:
In the second quarter of the 2004 AFCC, it is 4th and 1 and Jerome Bettis gets stuffed by (Bruschi?) and we regain control on offense. It just symbolized the end for the Steelers and that is when Heinz Field went silent.

These are my favorites as well. But to add to the discussion, here are Offensive A and Defensive A.

Offense, Corey Dillon killing the clock in 04 playoff game against the Colts. The run around left end, dragging Colt players and almost getting into the endzone was a thing of power and beauty.

Defense, Tedy's pic and TD against Miami in the Snow ball game.

Special Teams, Troy Brown punt return for a TD against the Steelers in the '02 playoffs.

Stopped and posted after finding my two best.
Agree with your defense. The whole scene of Bruschi interception,TD, and fan's response to the music.
On offense, the fake against Jacksonville, with Tom throwing the TD.
Could watch both over and over and over.....

Even as a Jets fan I guess I'll make a comment on some of my favorite plays:

Offensive
- Bledsoe 2001 AFC Championship TD pass

Defensive
- Rodney Harrison pick 6 in 2004 AFC Championship Game to kill Pittsburgh

Special Teams
- 2002 Adam Vinatieri nailing the Week 17 kick against Miami, Jets then beat Packers and win the East.

O:

Tommy walking up to the line with the clock ticking down in SB XXXVI, calmly taking the snap, downing the ball, catching it in his left hand after a big bounce and looking for someone to hand it to, as though to say, "OK, I'm done here," all the while looking like he didn't have a care in the world. Then, Adam's kick almost as part of that same play. Timeless.

D:

2004 AFCCG (2005): Bruschi tearing the ball away from Dominic Rhodes in the snow in the second quarter, changing the game, setting up the win and paving the way to SB XXXIX. Asked about it afterwards, Bruschi said "I guess I wanted it more than he did." That play and quote characterized those three Championships. Nothing flashy. They just always wanted it more than anyone else.

Last edited:

McGinest was the puller. Can't remember the younger player. Andrews?

I'm pretty sure it was Randall Gay who Willie was pulling. That was in Cleveland in the 2004 season, I believe...

I really can't narrow my selection down to ONE. However, I can say that one of my favorite defensive plays was Rodney Harrison's pick-six against the Steelers in 2004.

One of my favorite offensive plays would probably have to be Troy Brown's catch late in the game against Caroline with a defender draped all over him that put NE in position for the game-winning field goal. I don't know if it was that play specifically that put NE in range or if it allowed them to get a crucial first down (someone can help me out), but I do know it was a super important catch.

My favorite special teams play, although that wasn't asked for, would have to be Troy Brown's punt return against Pittsburgh in 2001.

All of my picks happened in the playoffs because that's when it really matters. There have been so many good plays during regular season games, but it's the playoff/SB wins that really should stick out in anyone's mind who cares about the end result and not just the regular season accolades/accomplishments. That's just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

Two plays:

Brown's lateral in Pittsburgh in the AFC Finals of the 2001 season, the Steelers were starting to look like they were waking up, and Brown's play helped put the dagger in them.

BB having the snap go for a safety in Denver. BB is playing bridge and every other coach in the league is playing whist.

Two plays:

Brown's lateral in Pittsburgh in the AFC Finals of the 2001 season, the Steelers were starting to look like they were waking up, and Brown's play helped put the dagger in them.

BB having the snap go for a safety in Denver. BB is playing bridge and every other coach in the league is playing whist.

That 'dagger' put in the Steelers was by the name of Kordell Stewart their own QB,Man he sucked in that game.

Two plays:

Intentional safeties are not that uncommon, but I think what makes the safety play memorable is Paxton doinking the upright with the snap. You just know he was aiming for it, and he nailed it.

Offensive play: During the snow bowl against the Raiders during the drive on a 4th down play the ball was caught by I believe Patten (or Troy) on his knees to continue the drive. When watching that game live I thought the ball was originally over the intended receiver's outstretched hand and I thought the game was over. I don't remember having so much despair and jubilation in short time span, except for the tuck rule obviously, but that took longer to develop.

I'll have to pop in the 3 Games to Glory DVD to get all the details of that play unless someone else can comment.

Defensive: The Rosie Colvin sack of Manning in the match of undefeated teams two years ago.

or close second

Rodney's INT return for TD against the Steelers during their 3rd SB run.

Even as a Jets fan I guess I'll make a comment on some of my favorite plays:

Offensive
- Bledsoe 2001 AFC Championship TD pass

Defensive
- Rodney Harrison pick 6 in 2004 AFC Championship Game to kill Pittsburgh

Special Teams
- 2002 Adam Vinatieri nailing the Week 17 kick against Miami, Jets then beat Packers and win the East.

I like the picks!

I'm surprised that their wasn't a Curtis Martin reference. God, I wish he would have stayed with the Pats!

Above, do you mean the Bledsoe pass to Terry Glenn with Woodson defending him in the fog? If so, I think he tackled him at the 2 yard line. I could be mistaken though.

Offense...Long bomb to Troy Brown to defeat Miami in OT.

Defense... Wille McGinist stopping Ederin James on the one yard line

Intentional safeties are not that uncommon, but I think what makes the safety play memorable is Paxton doinking the upright with the snap. You just know he was aiming for it, and he nailed it.

Umm, I think I've seen it about 5 times in 42 years in a pro game, and I don't remember more then one other one working.

Offensive, Brady to Brown in Miami overtime in 03

Defensively, Willie Mac Sacking Peyton in the 04 season opener to push them out of field goal range. Vanderjerk missed the ensuing kick.

I like the picks!

I'm surprised that their wasn't a Curtis Martin reference. God, I wish he would have stayed with the Pats!

Above, do you mean the Bledsoe pass to Terry Glenn with Woodson defending him in the fog? If so, I think he tackled him at the 2 yard line. I could be mistaken though.

Oops, I guess you meant the Bledsoe to Patten pass after Brady was injured, not the one back in 96.

Oops, I guess you meant the Bledsoe to Patten pass after Brady was injured, not the one back in 96.

You're responding to your own post?:confused::confused::confused:

Defensive play- Willie McGinest stopping Edgerrin James on the one yard line to end the game at Indy in 2003.

Offensive play- Flea flicker against Pittsburgh in 2007. Brady to Moss to Brady and over Anthony Smith's head for a TD.

I agree with these but would also like to add a favorite special teams play, the safety in Denver, that might be my favorite although the Willie play was great. Another great play was Bruschi against Oakland in the snow bowl before time ran out in regulation. Oakland had a 2nd and 2 I believe and he nailed the runner in the hole. Big Play. But he made so many, the Miami interception for a TD.

Defensive: The Rosie Colvin sack of Manning in the match of undefeated teams two years ago.

Wasn't it Green??? Rosie recovered the fumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes