Welcome to PatsFans.com

Televisions

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by milwaukeebeers44, May 19, 2006.

1. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, I need help. My husband and I (well, mostly me) are looking to get a big screen TV. We'd like to avoid plasmas right now, but I went shopping the other day and all the different technologies out there (DLP, LCD, etc) were making my head spin. We know we want something 52" or bigger, but beyond that, we're (I'm) kind of lost.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive guide to (or know themselves) the TV technologies out there now? What their advantages and drawbacks are (e.g., I know the DLP color wheel is expensive as hell to replace if it breaks)?

I'd love to hear experiences with individual models, too.
  2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Yeah - I'm sure you'll have to drag your husband kicking and screaming to buy a new big screen TV...

You didn't specify High Definition which is something I think you'll probably want sooner or later - I don't think all BIG screen tv's are necessarilly HDTVs so just keep that in mind

Here's a few buyers guides

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-3.html

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv_bigscreen.html

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/TV_chart.html

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/hdtv-buyers-guide.html
  3. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the links!

I'm the rabid football fan in the family. He knows his stuff, but would best be described as a "semi-casual fan." He mainly wants it for movies, though, and if it weren't for my type A nature, he'd go and buy the first one when he walks in the door at Best Buy.

Yeah, I didn't mention HD because I assumed most were- good to know, though, as I'll be looking out for that!
  4. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Some need tuners, some are integrated, some of the CRT ones aren't at all but most new ones are

Movies are just beginnning to get into HDTV - I'm pretty sure they need special DVDs and DVD players for high def
  5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm trying to save up enough Coke rewards codes to get the Sony Bravia HDTV LCD. I think it may take awhile...
  6. Patti37

Patti37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am still trying to convince my husband...he just doesn't like to spend the money.
    We will have a TV byt football season if it is the last thing I do.
  7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +706 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

A regular DVD player will play on a HDTV but there are new SONY 'Blue Ray' HiDef DVD players coming out. There's a competing standard that's incompatible and nobody knows who'll win, see Betamax.

Go to the AVS Forum for all home theater and TV info...

http://www.avsforum.com/

Hit 'Continue to the Main Forum Index'
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

I have a 42" Sony LCD and most people including myself think it is great, most people who come by and see it agree it is better than Plasma.
  9. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I've had a 42 inch Hitachi plasma for going on three years now, never had a problem with it and the picture is stunning.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I haven't read the whole thread but, I stayed away from the plasmas because they are prone to burn in. I didn't want to spend 2 Grand and have some channels bug logo (or video game text) burned into my screen. The large CRTs are too heavy. I bought a 35" Sony Trinitron in 2000. It weighed a ton. When I sold my house I sold it because I didn't want to have to move it. I then bought a 40" rear projection HDTV. It weighs about 120 lbs. very easy to move and rear projections have come along way in picture quality.