Television coverage for Pats-Chargers game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Television coverage for Pats-Chargers game
By: John Morgan

Even though it is a late game, a surprisingly large part of the country will not get the Pats-Chargers game Sunday, including most of Florida, Texas, Ohio and Colorado....

Those of us in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-West Palm market are headed into a three week drought of Patriots games one free TV, owing to Dolphins games played at the same time with the same network rights.

To cheer us up a little, the next nine games after that, and possibly all the games except the finale vs. Buffalo, should be on free TV in that market:

2) Sun 9/18 San Diego at New England 4:15 PM CBS (same time/station as Texans at Dolphins)
3) Sun 9/25 New England at Buffalo 1PM CBS (same time/station as Dolphins at Browns)
4) Sun 10/2 New England at Oakland 4:15 CBS (same time/station as Dolphins at Chargers)

5) Sun 10/9 NY Jets at New England 4:15 CBS (Dolphins have bye, CBS has DH, sure to be on)
6) Sun 10/16 Dallas at New England 4:15 Fox (Dolphins play Mon, Fox has DH, sure to be on)
7) Patriots bye week
8) Sun 10/30 New England at Pittsburgh 4:15 PM CBS (Dolphins play 1PM on CBS, CBS has DH, likely to be on)
9) Sun 11/6 NY Giants at New England 4:15 PM FOX (Dolphins play 1PM on CBS, Fox has DH, likely to be on)
10) Sun 11/13 New England at NY Jets 8:20 PM NBC- national game
11) Mon 11/21 Kansas City at New England 8:30 PM ESPN- national game
12) Sun 11/27 New England at Philadelphia 4:15 PM CBS (Dolphins play Th, CBS has DH, likely to be on)
13) Sun 12/4 Indianapolis at New England 8:20 PM NBC- national game
14) Sun 12/11 New England at Washington 1:00 PM CBS (Dolphins play 1PM on Fox, CBS has DH, likely to be on)

15) Sun 12/18 New England at Denver 4:15 PM CBS (Dolphins play 1PM on CBS, CBS has DH, may be on but Jets-Eagles is the same time and also on CBS)
16) Sun 12/24 Miami at New England 1:00 PM CBS
17) Sun 12/31 Buffalo at New England 1:00 PM CBS (same time/station as Jets at Dolphins)

I can understand the coverage in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale television market; obviously they are going to show every Dolphins game unless one happens to not sell out.

I am slightly surprised at the decisions by local television stations in some of the other markets though. For example in Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville are there really that many Dolphin fans there that the Miami-Houston game would get more viewers than the Patriots-Chargers would? I was going to say the same thing about Kansas but I suppose the people there are either Denver fans rooting for the Broncos, or Chiefs fans rooting against them.

Perhaps the stations in Tampa and Orlando going to broadcast every Dolphins game that they can, making them the new adopted 'home' team for locals there to watch since the Bucs are probably on their way to eight straight blackouts.

Last edited:
I'm hoping we get Pats game Sunday here in NY on TV. Jests play at 1pm and Giants play Monday Nite instead of their usual 4:15 Sunday time slot.

Ah, this is the time of year when I most miss New England.. :(

Living in Louisville is especially frustrating for a Pats fan. First off, the only thing anyone really cares about is Louisville or UK on Saturdays. And geographically the 3 closest NFL markets are all AFC teams (Cincy, Indy and TN)...so I continually get games like Bengals-Broncos instead of Pats-Chargers and then I complain about it all Sunday until my wife tells me to shut up and just move us back to New Hampshire already!!

And no I won't get DirecTV because a) the "static" during storms, b) the delay when changing channels, and c) their service (historically) sucks.

Weirdest of all in Louisville? The NFL logo I seem to spot most on people's cars and t-shirts? The Steelers! Go figure..

I'm hoping we get Pats game Sunday here in NY on TV. Jests play at 1pm and Giants play Monday Nite instead of their usual 4:15 Sunday time slot.

Click on the link to the column in the original post and you'll find your answer ... :D

so I continually get games like Bengals-Broncos instead of Pats-Chargers and then I complain about it all Sunday until my wife tells me to shut up and just move us back to New Hampshire already!!

Yeah, Bungles-Donkeys doesn't sound all that appealing.

Down here in Miami, Fins game is expected to be blackout as its not currently a sell out. If it is blacked out does that mean CBS will show another game during that time slot or just show informercials from 4pm to 7pm??????

Down here in Miami, Fins game is expected to be blackout as its not currently a sell out. If it is blacked out does that mean CBS will show another game during that time slot or just show informercials from 4pm to 7pm??????

If it is blacked out, we will get an alternate game- most assuredly Patriots-Chargers.

Hope for the blackout!

It's supposed to be based on there being sellout at 72 hours before kickoff, or 4:15 today, but extensions of 24 hours are common.

That would be a great development.

Last edited:
Thanks for info, a blackout would be great then and I would assume Pats vs Chargers would be alternative.

Those of us in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-West Palm market are headed into a three week drought of Patriots games one free TV, owing to Dolphins games played at the same time with the same network rights.

To cheer us up a little, the next nine games after that, and possibly all the games except the finale vs. Buffalo, should be on free TV in that market:

2) Sun 9/18 San Diego at New England 4:15 PM CBS (same time/station as Texans at Dolphins)
3) Sun 9/25 New England at Buffalo 1PM CBS (same time/station as Dolphins at Browns)
4) Sun 10/2 New England at Oakland 4:15 CBS (same time/station as Dolphins at Chargers)

5) Sun 10/9 NY Jets at New England 4:15 CBS (Dolphins have bye, CBS has DH, sure to be on)
6) Sun 10/16 Dallas at New England 4:15 Fox (Dolphins play Mon, Fox has DH, sure to be on)
7) Patriots bye week
8) Sun 10/30 New England at Pittsburgh 4:15 PM CBS (Dolphins play 1PM on CBS, CBS has DH, likely to be on)
9) Sun 11/6 NY Giants at New England 4:15 PM FOX (Dolphins play 1PM on CBS, Fox has DH, likely to be on)
10) Sun 11/13 New England at NY Jets 8:20 PM NBC- national game
11) Mon 11/21 Kansas City at New England 8:30 PM ESPN- national game
12) Sun 11/27 New England at Philadelphia 4:15 PM CBS (Dolphins play Th, CBS has DH, likely to be on)
13) Sun 12/4 Indianapolis at New England 8:20 PM NBC- national game
14) Sun 12/11 New England at Washington 1:00 PM CBS (Dolphins play 1PM on Fox, CBS has DH, likely to be on)

15) Sun 12/18 New England at Denver 4:15 PM CBS (Dolphins play 1PM on CBS, CBS has DH, may be on but Jets-Eagles is the same time and also on CBS)
16) Sun 12/24 Miami at New England 1:00 PM CBS
17) Sun 12/31 Buffalo at New England 1:00 PM CBS (same time/station as Jets at Dolphins)

I'll be in the greatah Tamper arear in December. Looks like I'll be "hydrating" at sports bars except for the Sunday night Colts game. :mad:

Whoa! That's assuming Indy doesn't just decide to forefit the season.

And for those who prefer it in map form.....

the506.com - 2011 week 2

Thanks. I'm glad to see that we get the Pats here in NYC this week. It's tough because when either the Jets or Giants have the late game alongside a Pats late game, we don't get to see them on Cable.

The most interesting thing about the Sunday late afternoon map is that the Dallas area gets Chargers/Pats instead of Texans/Dolphins and stands out like an island in the middle of the state.

If it is blacked out, we will get an alternate game- most assuredly Patriots-Chargers.

Hope for the blackout!

It's supposed to be based on there being sellout at 72 hours before kickoff, or 4:15 today, but extensions of 24 hours are common.

That would be a great development.

That would be nice if it blacks out but I also enjoy going to a sports bar to watch games....it's all good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots