Welcome to PatsFans.com

Telemondo Storyline To Promote 2010 Census

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +513 / 6 / -2

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

That's good. The census is an important part of the U.S. Constitution, and not only affects representation, but the way certain tax revenues are allocated to states and localities. From the responses so far, there obviously needs to be some education about this issue in English, too.
  4. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Need some historical and legal background for many people before they fly off the handle...it's probably one of the most important yet unrecognized and misunderstood events in the US.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

The census is extremely important on many fronts, in the past it just happened.. but this year with all of the players ACORN, Bachman, Beck et al have lent itself to a much different affair, something apolotical and benign has been cast into a political shytstorm.. have to wonder what it will be like in 2020....
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Part of the problem is that Republicans have feared an accurate count will work to their disadvantage. Over the years, they've tried to address this by building prisons in swing districts in states like Texas. Because prisoners can't vote, yet count towards the census, they are used to support gerrymandering activities. The Democrats can take the high ground on this issue. Naturally every person should count in the census, and if that's done, the Democrats may be in a stronger position. That said, the fact is no one is certain what the impact of counting every person would be on representation. After all, illegals in some secure those states greater representation by those who are allowed to vote.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

Could you please clarify this.... do you have any documentation of this claim...???
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Give it a rest, Patters. "accurate count": With somewhere between 20 and 40 MILLION illegals now in America -- and thousands MORE streaming in every month, if not week -- you have the dishonesty and the chutzpah to suggest that "Republicans" are "worried" about an accurate count!!!

You really have no shame, do you. You are willing to lie about the one thing that is literally DESTROYING what once was the greatest nation in history.

That is appalling.

//
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Republicans have always fought an accurate count. They have never wanted blacks and other minorities to be fully represented. They have underfunded the census and opposed using statistical models to may the census more accurate. Progressive groups believe that if the census is more accurately counted, there will be more poor citizens included, which will give them a stronger voice. Oddly, Fog, an accurate count could lead to Republican gain since illegals are counted in the census but are not allowed to vote. I gather you're not familiar with the issues surrounding the census. Perhaps you should do a little studying on the issue rather than continue to post superficial responses?
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So which nation's replaced us?
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

BULLcrap, Patters!!! Pure and utter BULL DUNG!! You are such a liar it's hardly worth responding to your slop.

YOU just want more people on the dole because you hate what America was built upon: faith in God and the desire to create families living in a Godly nation, creating a Godly world. Face it.

Look, I'm truly sorry you've had problems in your upbringing that cause you to be so vituperatous toward America, but really, your problems are NOT going to be everybody else's, problems, so you need to get over it.

//
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

The census counts everyone, not just citizens or voters. It makes the count primarily to allocate Congressional districts. Conservative states like Texas will surely benefit if there is an accurate count of illegals, as will states like AZ and CA because illegals count towards the population when allocating seats in the house.

As far as prisons go, this isn't the best link, but it's something:

Twenty one counties have twenty one percent of their population in prisons and jails | Prisoners of the Census

There are a lot of articles out there on how Texas has gerrymandered its legislative and congressional districts, and I'm pretty sure Texas is considered the worst in modern history in the way it manipulates the system.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

As I said, you don't know the facts, and continue to post superficially. But, perhaps you can explain why the Republicans have consistently been against increased funding for the census and against using statistical methods to generate more accurate counts? It's pretty obvious they are not interested in an actual count.

The census determines how several hundred billion dollars of federal money gets spent on schools, roads, police, etc. For those citizens who live in communities where there are a lot of prisoners or illegal immigrants, they should not be forced to suffer because of that fact. Do you think the citizens of Arizona deserve fewer federal dollars because they live in a state that has a large illegal immigrant population?

Like I said, you do not understand this issue at all. You're not posting facts, just posting bitter diatribes that reflect badly on your intellect.
  14. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

I could save us all about 50 million dollars, here's your 2010 census, take the Federal Tax returns for 2010, count up all the people, where they live, and whola,, you have your census!!!

I would take this even further and register everyone on the tax returns over 18 to vote (IN THE STATE IN WHICH THEY CLAIM ON THEIR TAXES THAT THEY LIVE IN).

Plain and simple, maybe 2 extra lines added to the 1040 and your done. With the Income redistribution via the "earned" income tax credit, even those without jobs file income taxes, so they can get paid with your money for not working. So all Americans would be counted in this. The only people that would not get counted would be incarcerated felons, illegal aliens, and a majority of Obama's cabinet.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Just the facts ma..... Patters. Just show us the facts.

YOU are the one making totally made-up spurious claims about Republicans/conservatives. You lead with insults then say someone (me) is "superficial". Please.

Prove what you're saying, then we'll talk some more. Until then you are simply spin-doctoring a tall tale that NOBODY is buying. No one.

//
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

That would be against the Constitution, since the constitution ensures representation for citizens based on the number of people in their district, not the number of citizens. Your approach would really screw those states that have larger populations of illegals, not only in terms of representation, but in terms of federal moneys going to them.

Estimated number of Illegal Immigrants by state. Definition, graph and map.

In addition, it would exclude those who earn under a few thousand dollars who do not have to file income taxes.

Who Must File a Tax Return - WalletPop
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

At least you got out when America was still great, right Foggy?

We're left here to deal with all these dirty Mexicans and Brazilians taking our jobs and mating with our white women. Thanks for nothing. How are we going to maintain our moral and God-given right to be the greatest nation on Earth without you? I guess it doesn't matter anymore. We're too late. Better go take some Mandarin lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQ-ISsDm8M
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

I've already provided a few links with my points, and as far as Republican resistance to the census it's common knowledge that you can research on your own. It's a fairly big area, and I won't waste my time doing such elementary research for you after you've done nothing but insulted me and have not even clearly explained what your issue is. I think you have not done so because you don't understand the issues, but have too much insecurity to admit that.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Don't bother. He doesn't even read his own links, as I've proven already.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0