Welcome to PatsFans.com

Teens convicted in street-racing crash that killed family get 90 days in jail, probat

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 12 / -11

Teens convicted in street-racing crash that killed family get 90 days in jail, probation | khou.com Houston

HOUSTON – Two teens convicted in a street-racing crash that killed a mother and her two children will spend 90 days in jail.

Christopher Yovino, 18, and Brett Taylor, 17, were each found guilty Tuesday of three counts of manslaughter.

On Wednesday, the jury sentenced them to probation only – eight years for Yovino and six years for Taylor.

The judge, however, decided that the teens should spend some time behind bars, after all. He sentenced them both to 90 days in the Harris County Jail, on top of the probation.

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Re: Teens convicted in street-racing crash that killed family get 90 days in jail, pr

Ha, they were street racing at a little over 40 MPH? I'm glad the judge din't buy that one.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Re: Teens convicted in street-racing crash that killed family get 90 days in jail, pr

Sentence seems light they can figure out the speeds involved. Did the 17 yr old have a license? Too young to be driving.

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not really sure how there can be a 50 MPH discrepancy between what the prosecution says versus what the defense says. Forensic evidence at the scene of the accident can establish pretty accurately how fast the car was going, and a car going 90 hits with about 5 times the force of a car going 40. Seems to me like the dirtballs should do some serious time which, unfortunately, will not be the case here.

I'm also not really sure what this has to do with politics. :confused:

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,345 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

A jury sentenced them ... want to bet which side of the road they lean politically?

6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I admit that I didn't read the link, but assuming that we've got the facts here in this thread, how would one figure that out from the basics of the story? Not all Texans are raging conservatives, and I thought the knock on Texan conservatives was that they liked to send people to the chair, so... :confused2:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

Texas......................

8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Take a look at the damage to the victims' minivan and tell me if that looks like a 40 mph crash. Not buying it either.

Witnesses: Fatal Crash from Street Race

Not to sound cynical and those who read my postings know which way I lean politically and what I think of Southern Justice ( oxymoron?) but I have to wonder if the sentence would have been as light had the victims been White and the drivers Hispanic, the reverse of what it was. More likely they would have gotten long prison sentences.

9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Interesting. So would Hispanic drivers that killed a white family be receiving justice if they were given long prison sentences or are you saying they should be cut some slack like the white drivers were?

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Texas is a wierd place. Nothing happens there like you would expect it to, except for crappy weather and the silly hats and boots thing, but....

As far as preference down there toward white people over hispanic ones...Why is it every time white people get off easy or brown people get the max sentence someone has to bring up race? Racism is clearly a thing of the past in Texas and the rest of America. Everyone knows that. The justice system is color-blind. That stuff hasn't happened since the 70's. Hispanics get treated the same as white people in court...as long as they have the money for an attorney who knows the judge and prosecutor, which they do, right? I mean, if you take a poor white guy with a PD, and compare the legal results with a poor hispanic or black guy with a PD, the result would be the same, right?

Race? Not an issue.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Wow, you people are pathetic. So the light sentene is because the kids were white, and the children that died were hispanic? Seriously, this place is beyond lost. Welcome to Obama's America where everything is now defined by one's race. :rolleyes:

Houston
    2000 Census
    According to the U.S. Census 2000, the racial makeup of the city was 49.3% White (including Hispanic or Latino), 25.3% Black or African American, 0.4% Native American, 5.3% Asian, 0.1&% Pacific Islander, 16.5% from other races, and 3.2% from two or more races. 37% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Hardly seems like the kind of demographics that would lead to a racist white jury who wanted to give some hispanic mom and kid killing white teens a slap on the wrist. :rolleyes:

By only reading the article provided it's impossible to come to any conclusions as to why the verdict was what it was, or what the specific details of the trial were. To me, it generically reads as if the defense claims it was a mere motor vehicle accident, while the prosecution claims they were racing and therefore more directly responsible for the deaths. My question is how many people go to jail when an "accident" results in death? If the jury saw this more as an "accident", then that might explain the light sentence. Since none of us were there, and the details of the trial aren't explained, I couldn't say one way or the other. To me, on the surface, jail time is absolutely in order. For some in here though, it's clear as day that it was racism. :rolleyes:

12. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

As has been pointed out, one would think that they would have been able to deminstrate whether they were traveling closer to 90 or to 40.

Even at 90, though, I don't think our justice system (any justice system) is equipped to handle this kind of case well.

Assuming these are decent kids, what do you do about 2 good kids who make a stupid decision that has horribly tragic consequences?

Some would say put them in prison for 30 years, but is that really a good solution? Take 2 otherwise decent people and put them in prison for much of their adult lives for something stupid they did when they were kids?

I think this is the kind of case where a somewhat creative sentence does make sense. I do think some jail time makes sense. make sure they understand the seriousness of what happened, and make sure others see it, too. But NOT with hardened criminals, juvenile or not, and not so long that they're likely to become unproductive adults.

I think a long probation makes sense, as the judge put forth. Make sure that any future stupid decisions bring about more severe consequences, if that turns out to be a pattern. Go for more than 6-8 years, even -- 20-30, whatever.

make them do community service -- talk to high school kids, etc. and not just for a year or 2. make them do it for 5 years, 10 years, 20 years.

garnish their wages foryears, with the funds going either to family members or organizations that try to curtail racing.

(btw, I'm curious what kinds of cars (I saw the Tahoe mentioned) and what year makes. Parents shouldn't give teens cars that can accelerate relatively quickly, or let them buy them. I remember when I was shopping for my first car in high school. I had saved a couple thousand dollars, and the guy selling the pos I ultimately bought was also selling some kind of car he had put a huge engine into. I wanted my dad to lend me the $ so I could buy it, but there wasn't even a discussion. It bothered me a little at the time, mainly because he said I couldn't buy it even if I had the $ (let alone the loan), but I soon realized he was absolutely right on that one.)

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd say they are left leaning because liberals tend to be soft on crime and oppose things such as mandatory sentencing. A good mandatory sentencing law could have ensured they did some serious time, wouldn't you agree? Also liberals tend to oppose it when a juvenile is tried as an adult.

Now please answer your own question: Which side do you think they lean politically, and why?

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I think it's impossible to even speculate which side of the political isle the jury sits in.

15. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +54 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

An appalling sentence for these two idiots and an amazing lack of compassion from Yovino.

This article Jury Punishes Teens In Street Racing Trial - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston states they were doing 50 to 55 mph.

This article Men Receive Probation for Fatal Street Racing Accident states that data shows they were doing 93 mph

This has nothing to do with racism. Just a terrible decision by the jury.

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,345 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Teens Arrested For Racing In Fatal Wreck - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

harry likes this

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 14 / -28

Liberals tend to try to follow the constitution.. the reality is that sending teens to adult prisons is a very expensive proposition for the taxpayer, as you have to protect them from the adult prisoners.. if you do not then you can be liable.

Things like equal protection and cruel and unusual punishment are words that liberals throw around..

Mandatory minimums are a burden for many judges, because there is always an exception to the rule.. and sometimes they have no choices.. see the three strikes rule that often sends folks to prison for minor offenses, as it is the third strike.

If there was concern for real fiscal responsibility it would give judges more leeway is developing creative alternatives for many of those in court..

The prisons are burdened with many prisoners, some of who are aging and cost a lot of money to house, treat and get to hospitals...

But would guess as an officer of the court you know all of this.. so if redundant apologies are extended:D:D

19. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +54 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

You can get a learners permit in Texas at 15, complete some minimum requirements, and then have a full fledged license within 18 months.

In Australia there are restrictions on what kind of cars 1st time license holders can operate. These kind of laws will never fly here.

More here: P plates & probationary prohibited vehicles : VicRoads

20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm guessing their lawyer is very good and expensive.

The reason why juvies aren't tried as adults is because they are not adults- they are juvies. Same reason we don't let them drink, buy a house, get a credit card or serve in the armed forces.

You can punish them like adults when they become adults.